moderator?

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Enson, please, I mean no disrespect here. The truth of the matter is, this is not a democratic process. The moderator(s) of this forum likely will not be chosen by popular vote among the members that post here. The other thing that I wanted to mention is that irrespective of how you feel about Bester's ability to do the job well or not, it's really not very nice to point out what you see as his faults here publicly. I've read a lot of his posts, and given him reputation, because I think that when he wants to post something meaningful, I usually like what he has to say. So, perhaps I disagree with you on that point, but so what. No worries on that - but let's not be calling others down either. It's just not super groovy.
point well taken. i apologize. i also ment no disrespect to bester. i have no personal problem with his opinions. once again i apologize for any misunderstanding. my post was not ment to be a personal attack of any type! ;) i... "digress" :supcool: ;)
peace

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno if I meet the post count requirements yet, but I wouldn't mind helping out with the Traditional section. I don't have the level of knowledge of say, Dale or Don, but I've been training in the Bujinkan for a bit over 12 years.

Jeff

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
To Whomever 'dinged' my rep from this thread:

A- Is that all you got?

B- I was being Sarcastic, not serious. Quite obviously it was lost on you.

C- Hit me again. I enjoy it.

*Poot* *Sneeze* *Gag* Is that Elvis?!
(I vanish)

Bester

Reaction score
Kaith - Don't worry, I was kidding. I don't want the ulcer that will come with dealing with the couple of nutjobs that will have to be dealt with.

Enson - I have respect for the people with legit backgrounds and skills. This is true for every art I research. What I don't have respect for are the self-proclaimed 'masters' who pull stuff out of books, movies or their own arses, make up a style, butcher a language, buy a 'soke-dokeship' and suddenly start teaching 'Ohio-Ninjizto'. I also have little time or patience for history rewriters, and those who have seen "Pray For Death" a few too many times. If the general consensus is 'fraud', and my own research agrees, then I tend to have little patience for them. If an American guy is teaching a Chinese art with an Korean Name, and Japanese forms, well, I tend to think it deserves a "special look". There is innovation, and there is bulldung. Most of those guys tend to be the latter. The few true innovators are few and far between. In any event, this hybrid is not a traditional art. Tradition dates back farther than last Thursday.

FlatLander - Thank you. :asian:

If anyone wants my opinion:
General - Dale
Traditional - Don Roley
Modern - Enson

Technopunk and Kreth also get my 'vote' as they've both tried to clean up the mess in here.

What amount of "interaction" do you expect say, the Modern Mod to have with the Traditional Mod?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Send kaith the needed information if you want the job folks.
The comments here have been positive and shows that some of you relly might be good at the job .
We would welcome someone who is not afraid of headachs and has knowledge about the area

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are discussing several individuals right now. I'll be making some announcements shortly.

Anyone interested in being considered, PM me. You can post it here, but if I don't have a PM with why you think you'd be a good choice, you won't be considered.

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Are you saying that you cannot even tell that this thread started in the MODERN section is not appropriate and should be moved or deleted? How about all the other threads started to talk about Japanese history started there.
Shame on you. you know that the inquiry into Hattori will reveal Chinese Parentage or Grandparentage which is not "Japanese history.

So if you want an end to the crackpot theories, you are going to have to make sure that the stuff about the parentage of a guy born in 16th century Japan is not in the Modern section.
I just hope martialtalk does not make you any moderator of any forum. Such a waste. Just between you and I, there was no nation known as "Japan" in the 14th Century. Therefore, no Citizenships by birth. Why not explain to the Moderator why you use the term "Traditional" versus the correct term "Classical." There is "Modern" and there is "Classical." Traditional looks like something someone made up to try and get around legitamacy. Thus, maybe we should re-address the title of these subsections while in the process of retaining someone unbiased. Just my $0.02. I'll go over to the Koryu area and check if my memory is correct or incorrect. Let you know what I find out.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any continuation of the constant and/or subtle sniping will see not only the thread locked but the perpetrator(s) immediately suspended, without warning.

I suggest all those involved review the rules.

Sojobow - Dons on the list. Deal with it.

1 reminder to all :
A member who is rude, excessively negative, or disruptive may receive a warning or may be suspended or banned immediately. Suspending and banning is done at the discretion of the administration team. Any abuse directed at our all-volunteer moderation/administration team, including defying the moderators/administrators to suspend or ban a member, may result in an immediate suspension or ban. Membership on MartialTalk is a privilege, not a right.

I, and the rest of the MT staff are very tired of the headaches. We are going to be announcing 3-6 mods for this area shortly. This will make the 3 ninjutsu forums the highest moderator density on the site. If this doesn't work, we will remove the section. We will be appointing 2 mods per forum. We expect the mods to work cooperatively towards the common goal of improving, preserving and expanding these 3 areas.

Regarding the 'disputable claims' crap.
If you claim it, back it up with verifiable evidence. Citing some dead guys deathbed words only spoken to your ear is not proof. If you are going to quote history, back it up.

In simple terms folks, if you are going to engage in these debates , write some term papers, and use college level citations to back things up.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I would like to point out that those that are selected for the position will fall under the OPS Admin, namely me. I will work with you all, but if you feel you cannot follow my guidance and/or leadership, withdraw. Bob has expressed to me that he really wants this forum to succeed; thus, my reluctant agreement to the moderator density of this area. The main thing you must understand is that Bob and I are a team, we do not reverse each other's decisions and we discuss them all, damn near nightly.

Let's make this work.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not wanting to go into a war zone but, I think a well regulated militia is a good thing, as long as you still have the citizenry able to own firearms.
I can't see that opinions if stated in such a way as to be in the conversation is totally negative, this forum has gotten this way by, from where it came, not to be totally controlled, I guess some areas are rougher then others.

Kind of like downtown Detroit, or Washington D.C. etc. etc.

Some of the cities had to hire outsiders to see it from a different perspective,
I am suggesting not all moderators should be from this same section.

You should not have to know the total of an equation to have good information, or thought provoking discussions. I find the totalitarian approach not proper, we are still debating things in science that are up for grabs.

An occasional suspension does wonders, but does not break the back of the discussion. Rigidity is not the key, flexable but firm.

My small contribution, not much I know, but still mine. Will I be getting a red point for this one?

Regards, Gary

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually Gary, I tried to give you a green ... but it was too soon, so here it is publically. Well thought out and in my opinion correct. You could have a subject matter expert, then another Mod who focuses on "Process" (manners), in the forum. That is how Senior/Super Mods and Admins deal with multiple forums, while not necessary being ranked in that forums art.

You are also correct about

ORIG POSTED BY GAB:

You should not have to know the total of an equation to have good information, or thought provoking discussions. I find the totalitarian approach not proper, we are still debating things in science that are up for grabs.

An occasional suspension does wonders, but does not break the back of the discussion. Rigidity is not the key, flexable but firm.
We usually seek concensus and check out our "knee jerk reactions" with other MODS & ADMINS in a forum specifically for that. We instituted the "Lock for Review" process to give us that time when necessary. Those interested in being a MOD ... it is a pain in the ****!!! Not a lot of fun, and Bob, Mike, Tess, & I will, and have, be all over you if you are abusing the authority. Just an FYI.

Nature abhors a vacuum ... especially if it is between the ears (M. Billings)

-Michael

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Thank you for information and the kind words.

I am not seeking, I am only mentioning something that I thought would help.
I am sure that how you go about it will be well thought out, since you have given me some idea as how the admins. go about it.
Regards, Gary

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some configuration to do 'in the back' to get things rolling. I'm waiting on a few replys to some PMs.

Right now, I've received PMs from Technopunk, Don Roley, Kreth and Enson.
We are not considering anyone who has not PMed me as the instructions said PM, not Post.

DO NOT expect immediate changes, overnight miracles, etc. Our policy is to bring mods in slowly, so that we can successfully integrate them into the team, teach them what they need to know to do the job, and resolve their own procedural concerns.

As they become more comfortable in their roles, the moderation levels will increase. It may swing to a 'strict' level short term while everyone gets 'used to' the new active level of moderation. It will eventually relax again as everyone 'finds their groove' again.

This 'realignment' usually takes 1-3 months. We will lose some members over this. We will gain some members because of this. This is normal.

Our goal is to be both a friendly place for 'newbies' to come for information and ask those 'newbie' questions, and for those seeking deeper information to find serious scholastic content, fellowship, training connections and more.

I will be discussing the new mods tonight with Seig, and expect to start 'handing out badges' mid week. We still need someone for General, Traditional is full, and another Modern mod would be good as well. PM me if interested.

Thank you.

Bester

Reaction score
Good mix. Good luck to them all. They will need it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First new moderator for the JMA-Ninjutsu forums now announced:

Technopunk will be moderating General Ninjutsu.

We will have more announcements shortly.

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
First new moderator for the JMA-Ninjutsu forums now announced:

Technopunk will be moderating General Ninjutsu.

We will have more announcements shortly.
congrats techno! i know you will do a good job!
peace

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Current Ninjutsu Moderation Staff:

General Ninjutsu - Technopunk
Modern - Enson
Traditional - Don Roley, Kreth

I would like to thank them for volunteering their time to help improve the quality and quantity of the content in our JMA-Ninjutsu forums. :cheers:

We are still looking for 2 additional mods, 1 for general, 1 for modern.
:asian:

Latest Discussions