MMA, UFC Rule Changes to be Implemented

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"The new scoring language underscores that effective striking and grappling are the top tier for judging rounds". Does this mean we will see even more extended perios of men laying on top of each other? On no, that bores the lviing **** out of me. I don't mind grappling, but theee is an awful lot of people just doing the minimum to avoid beign stood up by the ref, because they know that being on top wins them the round.

I'd bring in a rule that stood peopel up after 30 seconds on the ground no matter what. But that's just me.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bring back striking from the bottom, etc. and I will be happier.
I'd bring in a rule that stood peopel up after 30 seconds on the ground no matter what. But that's just me.

Then it really wouldn't be MMA anymore. They've already done plenty of things to favor striking over grappling. If the rules become so contrived that they prevent people from working for position and playing defense against strikes while on the ground then we might as well get rid of it all together.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"The new scoring language underscores that effective striking and grappling are the top tier for judging rounds". Does this mean we will see even more extended perios of men laying on top of each other? On no, that bores the lviing **** out of me. I don't mind grappling, but theee is an awful lot of people just doing the minimum to avoid beign stood up by the ref, because they know that being on top wins them the round.

Yeah no that'd be stupid maybe 30 seconds if no ones punching or trying to pass or trying to submit then stand but what if a guys got an arm bar and close to finishing it youd be happy if they stood them up while he's trying to finish a submission? That'd be just stupid and unfair. If you don't like the ground fighting don't watch mma watch boxing and kickboxing. Yeah to me ground fighting isn't as interesting as striking but it is a part of the game and it is a skill that needs to be learnt otherwise people wouldn't bother training full mma if they knew no matter what they'd be stood up after 30 seconds?

You say you don't mind grappling but you're saying you essentially want to get rid of it

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
YYou say you don't mind grappling but you're saying you essentially want to get rid of it

Exactly. You would end up with a combination of Kickboxing and Judo (with crappier take downs). People would just turtle up and ride out the 30 seconds and grappling would basically be removed from the sport.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you don't like the ground fighting don't watch mma watch boxing and kickboxing.
I didn't say I don't like grappling, what I said was I don't like when one man lays on top of another and does as little as possible in an attempt to get to the end of the round beacsue he knows he will win that round for beign on top.

but you're saying you essentially want to get rid of it
Strawman argument, that isn't what I am saying at all.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say I don't like grappling, what I said was I don't like when one man lays on top of another and does as little as possible in an attempt to get to the end of the round beacsue he knows he will win that round for beign on top.

Strawman argument, that isn't what I am saying at all.
If you were to make it automatic stand ups every 30 seconds then yeah that is what your saying because most times especially in ufc it's 2 high level guys who are probably brown or black belt they won't be able to submit them in 30 seconds because they're both skilled and know how to defend. Also it's the guy on the bottoms job to get up to his feet or submit him from the bottom as well which does happen (Anderson silva v chael sonnen)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Get rid of rounds and scoring. Problem solved! LOL

I know that isn't going to happen.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also it's the guy on the bottoms job to get up to his feet or submit him from the bottom as well which does happen (Anderson silva v chael sonnen)

Didn't they eliminate some of the striking from the guard as well, which if brought back, could make the ground more interesting (and dangerous)?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't they eliminate some of the striking from the guard as well, which if brought back, could make the ground more interesting (and dangerous)?
No not as far as I know you constantly see fighters from top throwing elbows and punches. You can't do socker kicks or knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent but anything else you can

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
No not as far as I know you constantly see fighters from top throwing elbows and punches. You can't do socker kicks or knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent but anything else you can

I was referring to being on the bottom. In the first UFC's, you saw Royce kicking and throwing punches while pulling guard. Sorry for the confusion.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bring back striking from the bottom, etc. and I will be happier.

Then it really wouldn't be MMA anymore. They've already done plenty of things to favor striking over grappling. If the rules become so contrived that they prevent people from working for position and playing defense against strikes while on the ground then we might as well get rid of it all together.

The new rule going into effect.

Effective Striking/Grappling:

- “Effective Striking is judged by determining the impact or damage of legal strikes landed by a contestant solely based upon the results of such strikes. Effective Grappling is assessed by the successful executions and an impactful/damaging result coming from: takedown(s), submission attempt (s), achieving advantageous position(s) and reversal(s).”

"Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/damaging result of their actions, more so than their position."

The thing here is position isn't going to win the round if all you do is hold position and the other person is punching and work whether from the bottom or the top.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was referring to being on the bottom. In the first UFC's, you saw Royce kicking and throwing punches while pulling guard. Sorry for the confusion.
You can punch, kick, from the guard. Can't knee or kick the head of a downed opponent and no heel kicks to the kidneys or strikes to the back of the head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. People ear slap from the guard a bit. And horizontal elbows. You need space to throw from the bottom. Which gives him space to throw from the top.

And there is almost nobody who wants to purposely engage in that trade off.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not at all when Gracie did it did they ever have any effect at all?

Royce used them to help get out of a knee bar attempt by Sakuraba. They sure as heck make someone not want to just lay on top of you while you have them in guard. It eventually forces them to move, which creates an opening. Heck, just a couple of years ago, heel kicks of a similar nature ended a fight between John Tuck and Jake Lindsey, albeit they were to the stomach rather than the kidney.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Royce used them to help get out of a knee bar attempt by Sakuraba. They sure as heck make someone not want to just lay on top of you while you have them in guard. It eventually forces them to move, which creates an opening. Heck, just a couple of years ago, heel kicks of a similar nature ended a fight between John Tuck and Jake Lindsey, albeit they were to the stomach rather than the kidney.
Well your allowed to kick to the stomach in mma you can socker kick someone in the stomach if you want (rich franklin vs Edwin dewees

Latest Discussions