MMA, UFC Rule Changes to be Implemented

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was referring to being on the bottom. In the first UFC's, you saw Royce kicking and throwing punches while pulling guard. Sorry for the confusion.

Gave me a flashback of a young Rickson fighting Zulu.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To "fix" the lay and pray... defense I suppose we can call it, you could simply remove any advantage in scoring for position. The advantage would have to come from taking that advantage and turning it into something, whether that be some effect on the opponent by striking from above, or by using the dominant top-down position to take a better position to work for a submission of some kind.

Judo has had rules for decades to stand people up when they're just down there rolling around and nobody's gaining an advantage. Problem is, lots of competitive judo players enjoy stand-up more than groundwork (and to be fair, vice-versa also exists), and it is possible to get a ref who is literally too bored to watch someone work from half-guard to full-guard, through a sweep into a armbar or choke technique. They don't know what they are watching while it's being done, and they stop time and stand the players up WAY too early.

If you had competent ground work people in the referee spot, who know what they are watching to see for the judges to score --- that could possibly work. Then, the requirement would shift into seeking advantage = scoring rather than just position = scoring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This 'new' rules will only apply in places where there is a governing body such as the US, while in the UK and Europe a lot of promotions do often use the rules put together by the UFC there is no authority that says what rules have to be used. Often it's a negotiation between fighters and the promoters as to what is allowed/not allowed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This 'new' rules will only apply in places where there is a governing body such as the US, while in the UK and Europe a lot of promotions do often use the rules put together by the UFC there is no authority that says what rules have to be used. Often it's a negotiation between fighters and the promoters as to what is allowed/not allowed.
Hence the title of the thread "MMA, UFC rule changes to be implemented". I don't think anyone assumed this would directly apply outside the UFC.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hence the title of the thread "MMA, UFC rule changes to be implemented". I don't think anyone assumed this would directly apply outside the UFC.
"MMA Unified Rules" affects most all MMA events in almost every state in the U.S. regardless if it is a UFC event or a small local sanctioned event.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"MMA Unified Rules" affects most all MMA events in almost every state in the U.S. regardless if it is a UFC event or a small local sanctioned event.
Fair enough. Still, neither the article or the title are suggesting that it would hold outside of the US.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. Still, neither the article or the title are suggesting that it would hold outside of the US.
True, there are promotions outside the US don't adhere to the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, even though they have become the de facto rules for mixed martial arts competition in North America and as well have been adopted by most of the major promotions and jurisdictions worldwide.

It doesn't mean they will all adopt the new rules however I believe there is a strong probability most will.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well pardon me for having the audacity to post.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

This is a great video all around, but towards the end, Javier Vazquez talks about some rule changes that have taken place to favor the striker versus the grappler and also some things which could be done to make fights more interesting from a stylistic perspective. I personally like his ideas, and would probably watch MMA if they were adopted. As it stands, while I respect the athleticism and the guts it takes to get in there, I don't enjoy watching it at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
True, there are promotions outside the US don't adhere to the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, even though they have become the de facto rules for mixed martial arts competition in North America and as well have been adopted by most of the major promotions and jurisdictions worldwide.

It doesn't mean they will all adopt the new rules however I believe there is a strong probability most will.
There are still hold outs that do things more along the lines of the old Pride FC ruleset, where soccer kicks are legal to the head, knees and kicks to downed opponents are legal, and they may even go with the old 10 minute/5 minute rounds.

But I think you're right that the unified rules are the standard, and promotions that deviate from them do so specifically to stand apart in some way. Or because they don't worry about sanctioning at all, as Tez3 correctly pointed out.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The UFC doesn't have to apply any rules does it when outside the US, they could conceivably if they wanted to have rules for different countries..............
The title of the thread is misleading, only the UFC is changing their rules not MMA as a whole.