mma style but made for self defense

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
are there any styles out ther that combine stuff like boxing and wrestling and practical kicking and throwing that is self defense based and not sport based like mma? i really like the way that mma mixes these styles but i don't like the focus on sport in most mma dojos.
also,what are your thoughts on this type of combination of styles for self defense and not sport?
if there is a tma or any other type of art that combines these things please let me know.and if anyone knows what fits this bill in virginia that would be cool.
it seems that mma has all the things that a person would need for self defense but the fact that it has the whole sports mind set messes it all up for people looking for street self defense and not caring about competing.am i right on this?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might check out places that offer an FMA based approach as well. I have studied the Natural Spirit system (www.kellyworden.com), predicated on Modern Arnis and JKD concepts, and find it to be a very well rounded, robust, and and "to the point" approach. Modern Arnis contains a great deal of Jujutsu principles (small circle), and is effective in all ranges of combat. I'm not sure if Datu Worden has any qualified instructors in your area, but I'm pretty sure that if you scout around, you'll find something that approximates it.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really.

But then MMA isn't really a style anyways, its more of a approach.

The approach is sport based, and self-defence, which is impossible to really define it seems, is not. So MMA will deal with some elements of self-defene really well, other elements will fall outside of it, as you are unable to train them in a sport-like environment, without which it is not MMA.

Sport mindset doesn't mean you have to compete though, it just defines the way you train. Dog Brothers is the same mindset, same approach, but they add weapons into it. A lot of instructors will cover things generally not allowed in competition.

But saying you want MMA without a sports based approach is klind of like saying you want to learn to swim without any water.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
are there any styles out ther that combine stuff like boxing and wrestling and practical kicking and throwing that is self defense based and not sport based like mma? i really like the way that mma mixes these styles but i don't like the focus on sport in most mma dojos.
also,what are your thoughts on this type of combination of styles for self defense and not sport?
if there is a tma or any other type of art that combines these things please let me know.and if anyone knows what fits this bill in virginia that would be cool.
it seems that mma has all the things that a person would need for self defense but the fact that it has the whole sports mind set messes it all up for people looking for street self defense and not caring about competing.am i right on this?

Check out the Straight Blast Gym
http://www.straightblastgym.com/

or guys like Demi Barbito who may offer the type of training you are looking for.
http://www.demibarbito.com/

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing really wrong with MMA. It is a little boring. I started this week, and I gotta say that it's one of the most boring classes that I've ever gone to but at least it's hands on.

The only thing I don't like about it is there's way too many young people without any experience, skill, discipline, talent, motivation, attention span, and most of them seem to be spaced out like serious ADD drugs or something ...

Oh, well.

It just doesn't seem like you're going to find an ideal situation. Like karate has too many katas and not enough sparring usually, and no grappling. Aikido has stand up grappling but most doesn't have a lot of striking. CMA has a lot of katas like karate and not enough sparring or apps. MMA has striking and grappling but no discipline and it seems to be full of ADD people.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well i hvae thought about putting muay thai and bjj together for slef defense.what do you all think?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
krav maga comes to mind.

Yeah, this is what I thought. Perhaps augmented by BJJ or wrestling (from what I've seen- which is limited, admittedly- krav maga doesn't seem to deal with grappling so much as being able to avoid/get out of one by use of other means).

As for VA schools- Capital Krav Maga in Falls Church, and American Fight Club (which operates under the FIGHT program, related to Haganah IIRC)right here in McLean/Tyson's Corner area. Drummingman, what area were you in again? Did you ever check out Trident Academy in Woodbridge?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are TONS of martial arts that are realistic and practical yet comprehensive...like you are asking about! Seriously.
The current fad of MMA is good and all, but it's nothing new. Most martial arts ARE mixed systems. We think of them as a different entity but they are mostly composite older systems.

Some that pop right off the top O my head....
Hapkido
Hwarangdo
Kajukenbo
San Soo Kung-Fu
Might look into those for what you're looking for.
Enjoy

Your Brother
John

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are TONS of martial arts that are realistic and practical yet comprehensive...like you are asking about! Seriously.
The current fad of MMA is good and all, but it's nothing new. Most martial arts ARE mixed systems. We think of them as a different entity but they are mostly composite older systems.

Some that pop right off the top O my head....
Hapkido
Hwarangdo
Kajukenbo
San Soo Kung-Fu
Might look into those for what you're looking for.
Enjoy

Your Brother
John

I'd say look into Hapkido, Kajukenbo or Kung Fu San Soo ( I ended up taking San Soo after similar circumstances to yours).

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought you didn't want a sports approach?
im not but i thought that there were not a whole lot of other options.
jonathan,i have been to trident once.it seems like a good school and it is by far one of the schools that i am considering.altho i would not mind doing just boxing for the stand up to weed out the kicking of muay thai to even further reduce the risk of a body injury.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The risk of injury is ever present in the martial arts. You simply have to use self control and expect the same from your training partners. The absolute best weapon you've got is your brain and it's ability to keep you out of high risk areas in the first place. Barring the avoidance of situations where actual self defense would be needed then you'll have to actually get "physical" in a dojo/dojang/whatever. This will bring with it a certain amount of risk. You have to decide how important learning to defend yourself is against how important not getting injured in training is against the likelyhood that you'll find yourself in a defense situation. The journey of a thousand miles is begun with just one step. Take that step in any direction and it will ultimately lead you somewhere.

Latest Discussions