Mma street fight

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the same time, the opposite is true. Most of my experience in MMA-style sparring is as a primarily striker against primarily grapplers. There was a lot of that at the beginning...later on I got much better at preventing their grappling, while at the same time striking them. By the time I was there a year, if someone new (someone from a different dojo, or someone coming back that I hadn't met) came by, they would try the grappling game, and not know how to handle it when they'd be looking for a grab/throw/takedown, and somehow magically end up punched in the head.

And so the much underrated concept of gravity comes in to play.

And again pulling ideas from Rob here.

Gravity is one of the forces of the universe. And the only force you can employ to your advantage in a fight.

You can't summon lighting or attack people with nuclear fission. Chi is blatantly made up.

But you can summon the power of gravity. It is basically a super power.

So striking or grappling if you can make someone take your weight you should be doing it.

MMA as a striker is a fantastic example because if me and you have the same ability to strike and we both stay standing the fight could go either way.

Otherwise if one of us winds up on top of the other. The fight is pretty much ours.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And so the much underrated concept of gravity comes in to play.

And again pulling ideas from Rob here.

Gravity is one of the forces of the universe. And the only force you can employ to your advantage in a fight.

You can't summon lighting or attack people with nuclear fission. Chi is blatantly made up.

But you can summon the power of gravity. It is basically a super power.

So striking or grappling if you can make someone take your weight you should be doing it.

MMA as a striker is a fantastic example because if me and you have the same ability to strike and we both stay standing the fight could go either way.

Otherwise if one of us winds up on top of the other. The fight is pretty much ours.
So just to clarify, your point is when we're striking its 50/50 (assuming everything else is equal), but then if you're a better grappler and you get to grappling range then you would pretty much win 9 times out of 10?

If so, probably true. My assumption is that generally people end up being a better striker or a better grappler. If you're equal with me at one and better at the other, I'm going to assume you'll normally win, especially since I'm small. But if I'm a better striker, and I have developed decent takedown defense over time (alone with grappling for the pure purpose of escaping...I can't do submissions for shyte, but assuming the fall was clean I've got a lot of experience escaping from superior grapplers), then my experience has been that I'll do pretty well.

There is a caveat to the above...I have never faced a better grappler trying to harm me on concrete...pretty sure that would change the game up quite a bit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So just to clarify, your point is when we're striking its 50/50 (assuming everything else is equal), but then if you're a better grappler and you get to grappling range then you would pretty much win 9 times out of 10?

If so, probably true. My assumption is that generally people end up being a better striker or a better grappler. If you're equal with me at one and better at the other, I'm going to assume you'll normally win, especially since I'm small. But if I'm a better striker, and I have developed decent takedown defense over time (alone with grappling for the pure purpose of escaping...I can't do submissions for shyte, but assuming the fall was clean I've got a lot of experience escaping from superior grapplers), then my experience has been that I'll do pretty well.

There is a caveat to the above...I have never faced a better grappler trying to harm me on concrete...pretty sure that would change the game up quite a bit.

Not really. You are separating grappling and striking. Which is not always the best way to look at things.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If that were the case, every MMA fight where one guy is good on the ground with shoddy stand up, and the other guy is a good striker, would be decided on the ground. Not always what happens.
That wasn't my point.
Rubbish it depends on the practitioner how many mma fights have there been where the grappler is shooting for a takedown and can't get it all fight. Perfect example Anderson silva vs Damian Maia or basically any chuck Liddell fight
I went back and read my comment and I could have worded it much better. My point was that if one person wanted to grapple (whether standing grappling or deliberately taking to the ground) then there is going to be grappling. Its almost inescapable, even if the other person has good takedown defense and maybe regains striking range - the threat of getting wrapped up, clinched, swept, taken down to the ground is always there. In Wing Chun I was taught "don't grapple with a grappler" and to "not play their game" but having done a bit of grappling, I now see that as a bit naïve.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of BJJ for actual self defense because, in my mind, if a fight goes to the ground, I've already failed several times over. Specifically, I've failed to defuse/deescalate the situation, escape, successfully employ my weapon, and/or end it with strikes/standing grappling. With all that being said, in the one real self-defense situation I've been in, BJJ (specifically pulling guard, taking my opponent's back, putting them in a seatbelt and then going to a rear naked choke) saved my ***.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor tonight talked a lot about how important maintaining distance is and knowing where the pocket is. He also drove home how important both striking and ground game are. He believes BJJ is most important though, alluding to how more often than not the fight is going to end on the ground. Not sure how common that is in a street fight though. As MMA evolved, striking became better and guys like Liddell were able to neutralize grapplers and the Gracies over time were not as dominant. Liddell also knows BJJ/Wrestling.

Back on track, I think MMA trains you how to fight no matter where you're at. You learn how to fight by fighting.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
at 1:15 the guy with his head locked up (which looked like a triangle or something similar) tapped out. the guy in the blue jeans then let go. at the end the guy in the blue jeans quit, complaining about "on concrete" .
so then the question in my mind is ...can this really be called a street fight? what is your definition? to me this was a typical interaction to show dominance. the goal was not really to injure the other. only enough to show how dominant they are and maybe get the other guy to give up and back down.
if they really had the intention of injuring the other (which happens in street fights) then you would expect a different outcome. no tapping, no complaining about being on concrete. in fact that concrete would have been a prime weapon to smash the other guys head till the green ooze came out his ears. no one was slammed into the fire pit. that would have been my first instinct. someone being on fire tends to end a fight really quick.
to me this was just MMA fighters blowing off steam, in the way they best know how. each one knows the rules of what is exceptable and what is not. this is clearly evident from the footage. how would the result change if one of them was clearly not playing by those rules?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
at 1:15 the guy with his head locked up (which looked like a triangle or something similar) tapped out. the guy in the blue jeans then let go. at the end the guy in the blue jeans quit, complaining about "on concrete" .
so then the question in my mind is ...can this really be called a street fight? what is your definition? to me this was a typical interaction to show dominance. the goal was not really to injure the other. only enough to show how dominant they are and maybe get the other guy to give up and back down.
if they really had the intention of injuring the other (which happens in street fights) then you would expect a different outcome. no tapping, no complaining about being on concrete. in fact that concrete would have been a prime weapon to smash the other guys head till the green ooze came out his ears. no one was slammed into the fire pit. that would have been my first instinct. someone being on fire tends to end a fight really quick.
to me this was just MMA fighters blowing off steam, in the way they best know how. each one knows the rules of what is exceptable and what is not. this is clearly evident from the footage. how would the result change if one of them was clearly not playing by those rules?

There are a lot more non event, two guys throwing with their eyes closed from ten feet away street fights than proper kill or die ones.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a lot more non event, two guys throwing with their eyes closed from ten feet away street fights than proper kill or die ones.
Throughout ones life time, yes without a doubt. I do think it is important to acknowledge the differences between an interaction for dominance and one with malevolent intentions. Monkey dances for dominance, you can apply descalation and often walk away. Where as if someone has malevolent intentions for you there is a slim chance of walking away and the costs to your health and well being are much higher. I see a big difference between the two. I would much rather train and learn tactics for the one with the higher costs attached to it. They might be some of the same techniques but will have a different mind set. And I would want to be prepared mentally for malevolence. Some people are not.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also doesn't have to be "kill or die" it could be fein submission then when he turns his back hit him in the head with a billiard cue. Fights are not fair if you want to win.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are definitely environmental factors that Martial Artists need to keep in mind when fighting. IMO, I think the armbar was a bad technique for the given situation and was poorly utilized. I don't think the grappling in the video was bad for the situation, just more specifically the armbar.

More specifically, notice how he crossed his feet when he went for it. This is a huge no-no, and it's exactly why he got slammed because it left his opponent free to posture up. His right leg should have been hooked behind his opponent's head and pulling towards himself as he extended his hips so that if his opponent tried to posture up and slam he wouldn't go far enough to get any leverage and only succeed in tightening the armbar. When crossing your feet during an armbar from your back, your opponent only needs to be able to lift more than you weigh in order to spike your head on the ground.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so I was rewatching tuf series 5 and 2 fighters got into a fight in the house while drunk. Now in my opinion they're a pair of idiots for fighting like that but the fight is interesting to watch because mainly it's grappling and it does show some of the dangers of grappling in a street fight. Not hating on anything just thought it'd be an interesting discussion.

They mainly grappled because it was still a situation where they both were pretty reluctant to go 100%....with full knowledge that they're pushing the envelope of getting kicked off the show and never being a UFC fighter, ever....so they didn't really want to throw full punches....but as it got more heated during the grappling, some full strikes were thrown. But then it cooled down....then started back up, where in round 2, it did look like more full power strikes for the KO.

The guy who complained about getting sledged hammer, head first into the concrete, was still under the impression that they're still slightly friendly and that the other guy wouldn't do that, but he did. However, it was only 2 slams, and only 1 of them connected well, to the head. He let go right away, which was the right thing to do to stop getting cracked.

This doesn't negate grappling in a street fight. If anything, someone at the skill level of these guys would destroy 95% of most people their size in the streets. Trained fighters wouldn't be pulling guard, but rather slam the other guy into the cement, then just head stomp them to death if they wanted that.

Latest Discussions