Mma street fight

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so I was rewatching tuf series 5 and 2 fighters got into a fight in the house while drunk. Now in my opinion they're a pair of idiots for fighting like that but the fight is interesting to watch because mainly it's grappling and it does show some of the dangers of grappling in a street fight. Not hating on anything just thought it'd be an interesting discussion.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And yet.... if one guy wanted to grapple, but the other didn't - it would still go to ground and be a grappling fight. No escaping it. That concrete curb did make me nervous, as did the closed guard at 0:43 that ended with the white shirt guy getting slammed. That's a risky move. All the stand up grappling / wrestling that led up to it made sense. A clinch of some kind almost completely nullifies the ability of your opponent to strike.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And yet.... if one guy wanted to grapple, but the other didn't - it would still go to ground and be a grappling fight. No escaping it. That concrete curb did make me nervous, as did the closed guard at 0:43 that ended with the white shirt guy getting slammed. That's a risky move. All the stand up grappling / wrestling that led up to it made sense. A clinch of some kind almost completely nullifies the ability of your opponent to strike.
If that were the case, every MMA fight where one guy is good on the ground with shoddy stand up, and the other guy is a good striker, would be decided on the ground. Not always what happens.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rubbish it depends on the practitioner how many mma fights have there been where the grappler is shooting for a takedown and can't get it all fight. Perfect example Anderson silva vs Damian Maia or basically any chuck Liddell fight

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's very difficult to take me to the ground. I do my best to determine if I want to go on the ground or not. Street fights usually have more room that what is available in the ring. The landscape can also play a factor on what goes to the ground. As a striker the concrete is my friend and my advantage against a grappler

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
if one guy wanted to grapple, but the other didn't - it would still go to ground and be a grappling fight. No escaping it.
Rubbish it depends on the practitioner how many mma fights have there been where the grappler is shooting for a takedown and can't get it all fight. Perfect example Anderson silva vs Damian Maia or basically any chuck Liddell fight

It depends on the takedown skill of one fighter vs the takedown defense of the other. A decent grappler against someone with no grappling ability, sure. But part of grappling is learning how not to be taken down when you don't want to be. Anderson Silva and Chuck Lidell are high level grapplers who typically used their grappling skill to keep the fight standing as much as possible.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's very difficult to take me to the ground.
How much time have you spent sparring with actual grappling experts (especially grapplers who also know how to strike)?

Street fights usually have more room that what is available in the ring.
On the other hand many assaults happen inside, where there is typically less open space than in the octagon.

The landscape can also play a factor on what goes to the ground.
Yep.

As a striker the concrete is my friend and my advantage against a grappler
Interesting. From my perspective as a grappler, the concrete is my friend and gives me an advantage against non-grapplers. Throwing someone on concrete is much more likely to inflict injury or end the fight than throwing them on a padded surface. Also, if a fight goes to the ground against a non-grappler I am probably going to end up on top. That means my opponent is the one who will be taking abuse from contact with the concrete.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much time have you spent sparring with actual grappling experts (especially grapplers who also know how to strike)?

On the other hand many assaults happen inside, where there is typically less open space than in the octagon.

Yep.

Interesting. From my perspective as a grappler, the concrete is my friend and gives me an advantage against non-grapplers. Throwing someone on concrete is much more likely to inflict injury or end the fight than throwing them on a padded surface. Also, if a fight goes to the ground against a non-grappler I am probably going to end up on top. That means my opponent is the one who will be taking abuse from contact with the concrete.

I think the concrete thing is the slam defefence against the arm bar in this case.(And triangles of course)

We do it as a matter of course anyway. So it is factored in a bit.

We could also look at that jump guard stuff. which I am not a fan of when punches are involved.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for me actually grappling with experts. I haven't grappled with anyone who would claim that they are experts even though they are good at what they do. I go against them whenever I can because it helps me train against an opponent who grabs. The highest skill level grappler and striker I've been against would be my brother. He's the only one that makes me cautious about my punches and proximity to him being able to grab me. I like sparring against grapplers but I will never try to beat them at their game.

If I have a chance to spar with some of the guys from here, I would. There's nothing like giving your sparring partner a goal.

Yeah that would be the exception. I haven't had any aggressive confrontations in closed in areas yet (In all my life). I've been to clubs, bars, concerts, a house parties without confrontations of any type. All of my confrontations have been in areas where I had running space if needed, concrete, moving traffic, in general open areas. I guess I'm fortunate that way.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting. From my perspective as a grappler, the concrete is my friend and gives me an advantage against non-grapplers. Throwing someone on concrete is much more likely to inflict injury or end the fight than throwing them on a padded surface.
You have to keep in mind that I know how to throw people on the ground, as well as trip and sweep. I like it for the same reason you do. Concrete doesn't give.

You have to keep in mind that I'm not the average striker as well lol. Do I need to show the videos again lol. I'll have to make some new ones in the future.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that I know how to throw people on the ground, as well as trip and sweep. I like it for the same reason you do. Concrete doesn't give.

You have to keep in mind that I'm not the average striker as well lol. Do I need to show the videos again lol. I'll have to make some new ones in the future.
Yeah, I like what I’ve seen of your foot sweeps. If we ever have a chance to meet up in person I’ll have to pick your brains for some tips on how you set those up. I use foot sweeps sometimes, but typically from a clinch rather than from striking range.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I like what I’ve seen of your foot sweeps. If we ever have a chance to meet up in person I’ll have to pick your brains for some tips on how you set those up. I use foot sweeps sometimes, but typically from a clinch rather than from striking range.

Right cross right leg is the one that always catches me. Single leg set up sort of.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right cross right leg is the one that always catches me. Single leg set up sort of.
Any chance you have a video? It seems like a simple combination, but I'm trying to think how that would work, and from how I'm picturing it you would risk throwing yourself off balance instead.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so I was rewatching tuf series 5 and 2 fighters got into a fight in the house while drunk. Now in my opinion they're a pair of idiots for fighting like that but the fight is interesting to watch because mainly it's grappling and it does show some of the dangers of grappling in a street fight. Not hating on anything just thought it'd be an interesting discussion.

There are definitely environmental factors that Martial Artists need to keep in mind when fighting. IMO, I think the armbar was a bad technique for the given situation and was poorly utilized. I don't think the grappling in the video was bad for the situation, just more specifically the armbar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any chance you have a video? It seems like a simple combination, but I'm trying to think how that would work, and from how I'm picturing it you would risk throwing yourself off balance instead.

I could probably get one. See how I go.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are definitely environmental factors that Martial Artists need to keep in mind when fighting. IMO, I think the armbar was a bad technique for the given situation and was poorly utilized. I don't think the grappling in the video was bad for the situation, just more specifically the armbar.

The jump guard was pretty silly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first time a stand up fighter goes against an expert grappler all kinds of stuff run through the strikers head. Most of them begin with "uh oh." But not for the reason most would think. Expert grapplers will do whatever they want, with little or no effort, and as slowly as they want. You feel like a baby being looked over by a doctor.

And when it's over, there's a lot of this.

WTFCropped.jpeg

Man, is there a lot of that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first time a stand up fighter goes against an expert grappler all kinds of stuff run through the strikers head. Most of them begin with "uh oh." But not for the reason most would think. Expert grapplers will do whatever they want, with little or no effort, and as slowly as they want. You feel like a baby being looked over by a doctor.

And when it's over, there's a lot of this.

View attachment 21399

Man, is there a lot of that.

At the same time, the opposite is true. Most of my experience in MMA-style sparring is as a primarily striker against primarily grapplers. There was a lot of that at the beginning...later on I got much better at preventing their grappling, while at the same time striking them. By the time I was there a year, if someone new (someone from a different dojo, or someone coming back that I hadn't met) came by, they would try the grappling game, and not know how to handle it when they'd be looking for a grab/throw/takedown, and somehow magically end up punched in the head.

Latest Discussions