mma is a made up martial art.

MMA 'for the street' oh my days, now I've heard everything. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

it is apparently the same concept Geoff Thompson used. If Wikipedia is correct.

which i accept it may not be.

http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-martial-arts-geoff_thompson.htm
"Part of Geoff’s philosophy is that once you begin to let go of the need to be physical and start developing your communication skills, you then realize that most things aren’t personal. He suggests that if you can communicate with people, you can kill off all your enemies by making friends of them. Geoff also acknowledges that it’s not an easy thing to do, but it is something he believes we should all be aiming to accomplish.
"Don Draeger said we should be so good at what we do, so powerful and potent, that we can walk away from trouble. Don is someone I really admire in the martial arts. The martial artists I respect most are the ones who have developed their physical ability, and have also developed a polarity to balance it – they’re very gentle but very firm. They’re not shouting about how good they are or challenging people. They’ve found some kind of peace within themselves. That’s a true martial artist."
Boldly, Thompson suggests that kickers and grapplers will not last on the street if they can’t punch. Although Geoff acknowledges that he loves grappling, and he has great admiration for grapplers, he believes that a street fight is the last place to be for the grappler, because fights are very rarely one on one. He says that if a fight was one on one, then he would back the grappler, but he feels that scenario is indeed a rare occurrence.
"In a real situation, what you need is something clinical, something quick and something pre-emptive. And it’s always the hands that are closest to the target, and you can drive your whole body weight through it. You can finish someone with one shot, which leaves your hands free to deal with the second assailant."

I'm not all sport on you :). Guess I should have said "tested in the cage"

testing things in a cage is just a gateway drug to thinking that sort of stuff will work on the street. When we all know a technique is more effective due to its inability to be tested.

does a kick to the knee work in the cage? Well ok yes. But it doesn't break a guys leg like it would in the street.

http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-martial-arts-geoff_thompson.htm
"Part of Geoff’s philosophy is that once you begin to let go of the need to be physical and start developing your communication skills, you then realize that most things aren’t personal. He suggests that if you can communicate with people, you can kill off all your enemies by making friends of them. Geoff also acknowledges that it’s not an easy thing to do, but it is something he believes we should all be aiming to accomplish.
"Don Draeger said we should be so good at what we do, so powerful and potent, that we can walk away from trouble. Don is someone I really admire in the martial arts. The martial artists I respect most are the ones who have developed their physical ability, and have also developed a polarity to balance it – they’re very gentle but very firm. They’re not shouting about how good they are or challenging people. They’ve found some kind of peace within themselves. That’s a true martial artist."
Boldly, Thompson suggests that kickers and grapplers will not last on the street if they can’t punch. Although Geoff acknowledges that he loves grappling, and he has great admiration for grapplers, he believes that a street fight is the last place to be for the grappler, because fights are very rarely one on one. He says that if a fight was one on one, then he would back the grappler, but he feels that scenario is indeed a rare occurrence.
"In a real situation, what you need is something clinical, something quick and something pre-emptive. And it’s always the hands that are closest to the target, and you can drive your whole body weight through it. You can finish someone with one shot, which leaves your hands free to deal with the second assailant."

how does mma prevent me from doing any of that?

For my money, MMA plus situational awareness and a good attitude is a pretty solid combination for self defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just curious Steve, what do you mean with a good attitude with SD?

testing things in a cage is just a gateway drug to thinking that sort of stuff will work on the street. When we all know a technique is more effective due to its inability to be tested.

does a kick to the knee work in the cage? Well ok yes. But it doesn't break a guys leg like it would in the street.

Yeah okay, but I think a person would be hard pressed to do a leg breaker on the streets in terms of a technique. A stamp while their on the deck sure, but executing that I think would be somewhat telegraphed. Better off smashing the knee.

Ever trained with Geoff?

I have trained with rob gruifrida. Who is one of the most knowledgeable martial arts instructions i have ever met.

but is sadly underrated.

Yeah okay, but I think a person would be hard pressed to do a leg breaker on the streets in terms of a technique. A stamp while their on the deck sure, but executing that I think would be somewhat telegraphed. Better off smashing the knee.
Drop bear is having some fun. I think he's having a go at the idea that a technique that is untested can be more effective than a technique that is tested. I personally agree in that there are two primary ingredients. One is that the technique must be sound. The other is that you (the actual person) must be able to competently execute the technique,

The first is independent of the student. The technique is or is not an effective technique.

The second is completely dependent upon the training model. If you train good technique in an ineffective manner, you will not be able to execute the technique when you need to.

I think this is where the conversation breaks down.

Drop bear is having some fun. I think he's having a go at the idea that a technique that is untested can be more effective than a technique that is tested. I personally agree in that there are two primary ingredients. One is that the technique must be sound. The other is that you (the actual person) must be able to competently execute the technique,

The first is independent of the student. The technique is or is not an effective technique.

The second is completely dependent upon the training model. If you train good technique in an ineffective manner, you will not be able to execute the technique when you need to.

the thing is there is nothing stopping people training their street stuff with resistance for pretty much the most part. The cage as a laboratory is a good description.

It is good to band things around, even if people do think it is ludicrous to suggest certain things. As long as it is not a proclamation that something is, no harm to have a bit of banter.

how does mma prevent me from doing any of that?

Not just MMA, but 'street' MMA lol. You said that's what Geoff does, but if he believes in not grappling it's not going to be 'MMA' is it lol.

Not just MMA, but 'street' MMA lol. You said that's what Geoff does, but if he believes in not grappling it's not going to be 'MMA' is it lol.

so he does judo why?

Latest Discussions

Back