Miyama-ryu Jujutsu & GM. Antonio Pereira

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I rummaged through my sensei's video collection and found Miyama-ryu Combat Jujutsu, which I found to be an excellent modern system of Jujutsu. Anybody here care to share some more background info about this style?

It is said that GM. Pereira studied some Judo with Kyuzo Mifone and Aikido with Kishomaru Uyeshiba, mixed in some Kenpo Karate and created Miyama-ryu. So this is a Judo+Karate+Aikido mix,

However many of its techniques looks very much like some of the Jujutsu Ryuha that my sensei are doing (Hakko-ryu, Takagi Yoshin-ryu, Shindo Yoshin-ryu etc)..techniques that does not present in Judo, Karate and Aikido..

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's wonderful, thanks for the links. So Pereira sensei studied some Sosuishi-ryu as well. Wonderful.

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious but does the Miyama-ryu Dojos still teach the Sosuishi-ryu Katas?

I have the Combat Aiki Jujutsu video from Mr. Rahming but it doesn't have any classical Idori techniques.

Nevertheless, I must say the techniques in the Video there is very no-nonsense Jujutsu, very effective.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am very surprised to see people saying positive things about Miyama Ryu. There is a guy named Cuffee here in the U.S., affiliated with the United States Martial Arts Association of Phil Porter who teaches/sells this and he is my only direct experience with the style.
I first learned of him when he ridiculed me on e-budo for accetpting a Judo ranking from Mr. Porter. Then one day I found his Miyama Ryu ranking listed on the USMAA web site, which I thought was rather peculiar.

Does Mr. Pereira recognize Cuffee as a legit teacher? Is he also affiliated with Mr. Porter?

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
I am very surprised to see people saying positive things about Miyama Ryu. There is a guy named Cuffee here in the U.S., affiliated with the United States Martial Arts Association of Phil Porter who teaches/sells this and he is my only direct experience with the style.
I first learned of him when he ridiculed me on e-budo for accetpting a Judo ranking from Mr. Porter. Then one day I found his Miyama Ryu ranking listed on the USMAA web site, which I thought was rather peculiar.

Does Mr. Pereira recognize Cuffee as a legit teacher? Is he also affiliated with Mr. Porter?

Mr. Pereira has passed away several years ago, so I guess we have to ask the current head of the system, Mr. Rahming, about it. I am sure the information is on their website. I think I'll just google in the name "Rahming Miyama Ryu" and see what happens..

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I was also criticized by some friends of Cuffee for my affiliation with the AFJ. I saw today that Cuffee's name also appears on thier list of instructors.
Organizations like the AFJ draw some fire because they are open and try to take people at thier word and some times people take advantage of that.
That many not be the case with Cuffee. But it seems odd to me that he would accuse me of buying ranks on the internet and then I see his name on the web sites of the same organizations.

Given what people here have said about Miyama Ryu, I would assume that Cuffe is not what he claims to be.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
Given what people here have said about Miyama Ryu, I would assume that Cuffe is not what he claims to be.

Mr. Cuffe is Elder999 on MT. Maybe he'll come and explain more about Miyama Ryu to us.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
Oddly enough, I was also criticized by some friends of Cuffee for my affiliation with the AFJ. I saw today that Cuffee's name also appears on thier list of instructors.
Organizations like the AFJ draw some fire because they are open and try to take people at thier word and some times people take advantage of that.
That many not be the case with Cuffee. But it seems odd to me that he would accuse me of buying ranks on the internet and then I see his name on the web sites of the same organizations.

Do we really need to go there again, Jim?

Have a look here

and
here.

now, do I need to accuse you of selling rank on the internet, on a forum that you haven't been kicked off of yet,(there's a reason your reputation has been disabled, or have you forgotten?) or are you going to leave well enough alone? This thread isn't about me-or you-and it doesn't at all need to be.......
<popeyegrumblemodeon>theresaprettyfinecaseofpeopleinglassouthousesthrowingblackkettles<popeyegrumblemodeoff>

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I already asked for this account to be closed. It seems I have time for 1 last post.

We do video tape classes for tapes to be sent to distant students. But my web site very clearly states that there must be some class/seminar attendance for rankings. www.jimmccoy.com/shindokan.cfm See distant students. Some people just lie about everything.

The reputation was disabled due to abuses. I don't need to have everyone agree with me to feel better about myself and on't really care if others disagree. The mods here are well aware that the rep system gets abused.

I likely won't be back to MT until the Spring when I may have more free time. Feel free to contact me through the web site if you have any questions. Also check the site soon for some big announcements (if interested of course).

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Enough please.

Noone wants to re-read the disagreements that have occured previously on other fora.

Leave it be.

Agreed-but I didn't start it.I apologize for the thread drift that someone else felt was necessary.

At least he's consistent.

In any case, while not the authority, I'd be more than willing to answer questions and share my impressions of Miyama ryu for those who are interested.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
elder999 said:
In any case, while not the authority, I'd be more than willing to answer questions and share my impressions of Miyama ryu for those who are interested.

Is Miyama Ryu comparable to Dan Zan Ryu? What specifically characterizes Miyama Ryu?

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Is Miyama Ryu comparable to Dan Zan Ryu? What specifically characterizes Miyama Ryu?

Danzan-ryu is like old Judo, like Judo as done before WWII. Much of the techniques of Judo is there but done differently and reflects the older Jujutsu systems.

Miyama is much more modern and very street-smart, very effective and to the point.