Missing Work

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever feel guilty about calling in sick to work?

I've picked up some sort of virus and my allergies picked up so I've missed the last 2 and a half days of work and I realized that whenever I call out of work, whether I am sick or not (work doesn't distinguish between sick or vacation time, it is all lumped together) I always feel guilty about missing work. I have a job that is important, but it isn't for the most part time critical, one day won't ruin anything. I don't have a life altering job, I am not a doctor or emergency personel or anything so it is not the end of the world if I miss work.

I find when I am out of work I still end up spending a few hours at least doing work via e-mail and other things and almost stresses me out if I don't. I am not a work-a-holic, I jump out of work the second I can at the end of the day :) but I always seem to have problems on the days I miss work.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel ya Ping898. I see your profile says you're a computer geek. Same here. I feel guilty early on but it passes. I try to think of myself as protecting my co-workers from my sickness, and I like to think they appreciate that. If I hear a co-worker hacking and sneezing and stuff, I'd wish that person stayed home.

I can't help but fire up the VPN connection, check email, project status, etc.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Totally guilty. I can't bear to miss a day of work.

Last night I had a long string of scheduled events to work on, and didn't return home until around 4:30 AM. I didn't have to show up at all today...my counterpart didn't...but went in anyway.

Around the time I was getting ready to leave, a different colleague approached me with an unusual situation in another city. I stuck around, even though I was dead tired.

I guess when someone entrusts me with a responsibility I want to own up to it as much as I can. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I hate calling in! It's so rare to see me call in, that my last employer (who was notorious for really giving employees a hard time about it), had no problem giving it to me off. Of course, one time I came in sick. I didn't realize I had strep throat, wound up saying to the customers in my register, "sorry, I just can't..." they asked me "can't what" as I was running to the restroom. In the end I was sent home 6 hours early after making a mess all over myself and the floor. Needless to say, I learned my lesson well that day, and the employer probably did as well.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that guilty is the right word - I take for for TKD events on a semi-regular basis.... but calling in sick is something I try to avoid. As a school teacher, what it takes to write emergency sub plans isn't really worth it unless I am truly sick. I had stomach flu a couple of weeks ago and called in sick (as opposed to taking the day off for personal reasons) for the first time in about 5 years.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know exactly where your comin' from, Ping. Since my company mereged with another we have gone to a PTO system as well (all time off lumped together). But prior to that we had separate sick time. I've been with my company for 10.5 yrs. After the merger all previous "sick" time was erased. I lost over 400 hrs!!!! I believe I've called off sick maybe 4 times in over 10 yrs. I go to work on many occasions that I should probably be home in bed. Hell, the last time I actually took a sick day, 3 people called me to see if I was OK. :)

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I know exactly where your comin' from, Ping. Since my company mereged with another we have gone to a PTO system as well (all time off lumped together). But prior to that we had separate sick time. I've been with my company for 10.5 yrs. After the merger all previous "sick" time was erased. I lost over 400 hrs!!!! I believe I've called off sick maybe 4 times in over 10 yrs. I go to work on many occasions that I should probably be home in bed. Hell, the last time I actually took a sick day, 3 people called me to see if I was OK. :)

That is harsh Henderson, I would have been pissed about loosing all those hours.

I have to admit I miss a decent amount of work. I am one of those people that you just look at me and I get sick, but I try not to miss a full day of work often. I will go in late sometimes if like in the morning I am feeling bad but later in the day I begin to feel better.
But even when I take a vacation I still feel compelled to log on to my work computer and do work if I can. Nice to know I am not the only freak out there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always felt guilty for missing work. I liked the policy of one of the last companies I worked for. They had it so that you were allowed so many days in the month. My position allowed five but I never took that many as my work-- artwork--just got heaped up for my return. You could call in those days and say sick day, childcare day, or personal day and no other questions asked. Beyond that you had to have a doctors note to keep your job, and you wouldn't get paid as disability kicks in. Seemed fair to me. And alot of times during those childcare days, I would take the work home. Imagine five childcare days with work!! Going to the office was better. TW

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am thankful, especially of late, that I work in the atmosphere I do. Never is sick time/family sick time and issue. It is made very clear to me that family comes first, always.

I do feel guilty though and try to make up the time even though my contract says I don't have to. Often I am asked to come and work on days off and I do so without question. We are very good about helping each other out and covering for each other.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
dude, i own and operate my own business. i don't get to call in sick.

i've had one sick day in two years, and that was because the doctor said i was highly contagious and shouldn't be near children for 24 hours.

things are getting better though...my staff is growing both in size and level of training. i may even take a *gasp* vacation this year.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I learned to get over missing days at work...

An assistant supervisor once told me that an "indispensible person at any job is the one that can stick their fist in a bucket of water, pull it out and leave a hole in the water".

I've yet to been able to do that.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't miss work when I call in. I work the 3rd shift normally, so, calling in gives me a normal schedule once in a while. It's better to sleep during the night, rather than the day.
icon7.gif

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I learned to get over missing days at work...

An assistant supervisor once told me that an "indispensible person at any job is the one that can stick their fist in a bucket of water, pull it out and leave a hole in the water".

I've yet to been able to do that.

ROFL!! Yeah, don't even try to be indespensible or irreplacable in a position as those who are are, cannot be be promoted! ;)

I agree with you MA-C - to anyone with some level of conscientiousness in their work, it takes practise to get over the "guilt" of taking PTO or sick. But it's a practise that's well worth sticking at, hehe. LOL!!

Respects!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha, me too! I was sick Thursday morning but felt better by afternoon so called my boss back to tell her I was coming in. I managed to get almost all of the day's work done.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
yea I hardley ever call in unlesss im really sick i just feel bad about doing it. but then theres people who call in for just about no reason and don't think twice about it

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you have certain illnesses where i work, they make you take 48 hours off whether you feel better or not. i get sick pay (full pay for the day for a good reason) but if you have too many you get a LOT of questions asked.
I had 10 days when I injured my back, and all the protocol when I came back lost me another complete day of actually doing my duties. Ha ha.
I wouldn't call in for no reason though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
Does anyone ever feel guilty about calling in sick to work?

NEVER..It makes NO SENSE to report to your job sick..Besides not allowing your body to heal itself you risk infecting other employees..I've gotten sick a couple of times from brother officers who didn't want to "burn" any sick time perfering to save ot for those beautiful Summer days when it's too nice to come to work..

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't feel guilty about taking time off, for being sick or otherwise. As a matter of fact, I called in yesterday because I didn't feel like going to work and I wanted to stay home with my son. So I did. Of course the company I work for is very good about the subject. We don't have sick time, we only have PTO days (20 per year). We take them whenever we want, for whatever we want. There only 2 or 3 days that are mandatory days off. There is no distinction between sick time and vacation time.

Realistically, I could work from home and we currently have the means to do so. If for some reason someone needs something in a hurry, I can get it done from my dining room table, in minutes. :)

On the other hand, if there is a problem (customer deadline, software/network issues) at the office that I have to work over, work on a weekend, or whatever, I am there, no questions asked.

Remember you have to balance your life. Dedication to you career is good, but one must not put the value of the company higher than their own personal health.

I am the center of my universe! :lol:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Remember you have to balance your life. Dedication to you career is good, but one must not put the value of the company higher than their own personal health

EXCELLENT post..

Latest Discussions