Minnesota Man Guilty of Murder shooting burglars

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aim center mass, using a shotgun at conversational distance, there shouldn't have been any wounded to dispatch... someone tried to get fancy

lousy shot. never heard of gun control...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aim center mass, using a shotgun at conversational distance, there shouldn't have been any wounded to dispatch... someone tried to get fancy

Had he killed them at first then yeah he probably would have been ok. Shooting people that are no longer a threat to you and not reporting it immediately he's a murderer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There a difference between defense of youryourself and home and walking up to a wounded person and putting a bullet in their head

There's also a difference between reacting to an unexpected burglary, and setting up circumstances to invite one, then laying in wait to cap the burglars as they break in. As I said -- at the very least, he'd have had a stronger case if he'd called 911 as they broke in.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Making it look as if you aren't home is creating an enticing situation?
Hell no.

Let's change a few elements -- and see what you think.

The police tell a person to leave their house, and put them up in a nearby hotel. Meanwhile, the police wait hidden in the house for someone to burglarize it. Is it entrapment?

He created an impression he wasn't home, then hid inside to catch burglars. I'm not justifying the burglary; no matter how enticing the target, that's still illegal and wrong. But did he create a situation to invite someone to burglarize his house? Yes, he did. Does that go to the question of whether he intended to kill any burglar? Yes, it does. I'd pat him on the back if he set up a camera to get their picture as they entered. I've said it could have boosted his case if he'd simply called it in as they entered.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The police tell a person to leave their house, and put them up in a nearby hotel. Meanwhile, the police wait hidden in the house for someone to burglarize it. Is it entrapment?

I would say no. Entrapment is when the police actively entice a person to commit a crime they would otherwise been unlikely to commit. I can leave my front door wide open with a bag of cash on the landing....nobody has the "right" to enter and take it.

I can put a unlocked bike against a phone pole and arrest people who try to take it. If I approach a person and tell him "that bike over there is unlocked..." that's a different matter.

Putting a downed burglar "out of her misery" with no active threat, and not calling authorities for hours? Murder.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say no. Entrapment is when the police actively entice a person to commit a crime they would otherwise been unlikely to commit. I can leave my front door wide open with a bag of cash on the landing....nobody has the "right" to enter and take it.

I can put a unlocked bike against a phone pole and arrest people who try to take it. If I approach a person and tell him "that bike over there is unlocked..." that's a different matter.

Putting a downed burglar "out of her misery" with no active threat, and not calling authorities for hours? Murder.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I realize it's not technically entrapment -- but would many people interpret it that way? Yeah. Which was my point; it wasn't entrapment -- but it was certainly setting the stage for murder since he apparently had no intent to do anything but shoot anyone who entered.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's change a few elements -- and see what you think.

He created an impression he wasn't home, then hid inside to catch burglars. I'm not justifying the burglary; no matter how enticing the target, that's still illegal and wrong. But did he create a situation to invite someone to burglarize his house? Yes, he did. Does that go to the question of whether he intended to kill any burglar? Yes, it does. I'd pat him on the back if he set up a camera to get their picture as they entered. I've said it could have boosted his case if he'd simply called it in as they entered.

Hope not because I've done it. Not the hotel part but we have hidden in a coffee shop that was broken into 3 fridays in a row. Guy wasn't smart because when he came in on the 4th Friday he had a few of us waitimg.

Latest Discussions