Milky Way Out On The Plains

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome, in the true, un-trivialised meaning of the word :bows:.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a child in central Illinois, it was not unusual to look up and see skies like this. The cornfields were so far from the light pollution of the major cities. Later, when we moved to Denver, I loved going camping up in the High Country. Laying in a sleeping bag at night and just staring up at the stars was an amazing way to go to sleep. Later yet, in the Mojave Desert in California, same thing; Twenty-Nine Palms is not exactly a garden spot, but again, it's a long way from the light pollution of the cities on the coast.

I am color-blind, and most people see in black-and-white at night anyway (bet you didn't know that). But if the light is sufficiently bright, the colors are perceptible; sometimes even to me. I can't tell you what a feeling it was for me the first time I looked up into the night sky and saw not just twinkling white points of light, but brilliant glowing colors.

Nice video, thanks for posting it! Brings back memories.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a child in central Illinois, it was not unusual to look up and see skies like this. The cornfields were so far from the light pollution of the major cities. Later, when we moved to Denver, I loved going camping up in the High Country. Laying in a sleeping bag at night and just staring up at the stars was an amazing way to go to sleep. Later yet, in the Mojave Desert in California, same thing; Twenty-Nine Palms is not exactly a garden spot, but again, it's a long way from the light pollution of the cities on the coast.

I am color-blind, and most people see in black-and-white at night anyway (bet you didn't know that). But if the light is sufficiently bright, the colors are perceptible; sometimes even to me. I can't tell you what a feeling it was for me the first time I looked up into the night sky and saw not just twinkling white points of light, but brilliant glowing colors.

Nice video, thanks for posting it! Brings back memories.

Sure thing. I've loved looking up at "a billion stars all around" yet as you mention with light pollution it's becoming a more and more difficult thing to find a spot just dark enough to see... everything. I'd imagine (far) out on the ocean is one of the few remaining spots left.
But where-ever you can... it's still nice.

Latest Discussions