Mike Martello

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from my friend Jake Burroughs that had some distressing yet inspiring news. Part of the email below

"As some of you know 48 hours ago we lost our dear friend, drinking buddy, and teacher Mike Martello. He passed at 9:30am Tuesday (June 2) while giving a private lesson on push hands in Belgium. Mike was 42 years young.

This was obviously quite unexpected. Mike was in amazing shape, but has lived with a congenital heart problem (Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome) all his life. For 95% of the people with it, no problems throughout life. Apparently Mike was in the 5%. He had a major heart attack and died instantly. Paramedics arrived in record time and took over CPR from the student, but it was too late.

Mike died peacefully, painlessly, doing what he loved to do.... teaching martial arts. The impact of his loss will resonate worldwide as he has friends and students all over the globe. To be honest I doubt anyone can fathom the loss to the CMA community and the arts themselves. This is tragic on so many different levels.

I am using my blog as a center for information about Mike, memories, pictures, services, etc. As soon as I get information it will go right to the blog for easy viewing by people worldwide. As of right now I have little information other than a memorial is planned for NYC, Beijing, Belgium, and Taiwan. “

-Snip-

“For those of you who met Mike at one of his seminars here in the US, or traveled to Belgium to train with him, you should feel fortunate to have rubbed elbows with one of the best. For those of you who never met Mike, you missed out on an icon. Words cannot convey the loss we feel, nor the void that will be present for decades to come. Mike admitted to me during his last visit that he was just now feeling like he was coming into his peak! Imagine if he would have lived another 20 years!!!

Let his passing be a lesson. Take advantage of today brothers and sisters. Tomorrow may never come. I thought I had 3 decades at least to work with Mike before having to worry about something like this. I did not even have 3 minutes left. Hug your loved ones, train your *** off, and drink and eat with someone you love every night. That is what Mike would have wanted.” -Snip-

Mike was a great guy and example of what a martial artist could be. Full of life joy and caring. I enjoyed our all too brief moments working together and am grateful for the moments shared. An interesting interview with Mike can be found here. http://wutangkungfu.blogspot.com/2008/04/mike-martello-is-director-of-wu-tan.html

RIP Brother I will remember your lessons taught and do my best to pass them on.

Your friend
Brian King

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions