Mihail Ryabko - playing with knives.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I am saying is that if you have a determined person attacking with a knife you do not want to do this. In other words it can work in demonstration with a student who is not really trying to counter it but will not work out in the real world. Now you can learn some important sensitivity from practicing like this and that could help you out in the moment but when taken in context and continuous movement without moving to serious control or finalizations (ie. finishing moves) it is just a neat trick!

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I am saying is that if you have a determined person attacking with a knife you do not want to do this. In other words it can work in demonstration with a student who is not really trying to counter it but will not work out in the real world. Now you can learn some important sensitivity from practicing like this and that could help you out in the moment but when taken in context and continuous movement without moving to serious control or finalizations (ie. finishing moves) it is just a neat trick!
Sorry, I was looking at a principal of softness, rather than the fact that the partner had a knife. There are lots of things that those guys do that should be labeled "don't try this at home". :asian:

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It’s just a demo showing how relaxed structure neutralizes strength and how to lead that strength, first to depend on support, and then take it away. It’s not supposed to resemble a knife fight…just illustrates a concept.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. It is a demonstration and not to be confused with the real thing! Nothing wrong with it but that the people watching it need to understand that this is what it is and that while the principles will work being demonstrated they will not work if you do not go to control or finalization. While someone who is a long time martial practitioner can see this many new or even somewhat experienced practitioners cannot.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise wrote:
snip
"that while the principles will work being demonstrated they will not work if you do not go to control or finalization."

Brian, respectfully I must disagree with the above statement. Fixating on the use of a blade or on 'combat' misses the point of the drill almost entirely. Remembering that for us a knife is merely a useful tool. In this case a tool to help point out and amplify a point that Mikhail is making to the practitioners at the event. The concept being demonstrated works whether you go to control or finalization or not. You can absorb and lead strength with relaxed structure, you can build support, and you can remove support. What is done before, during and after application depends on circumstances and correctness. These are concepts that are practiced and once understood utilized in many different situations. I think that you would agree Brian that it depends entirely on the circumstances, and the how and why the concepts are being applied that would determine the need or correctness for control or finalization, at least that is my opinion. No disrespect intended.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions