Midnight Blue vs. Black

bluepanther

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There was a thread from several years ago with a similar title but it mostly focused on the colors meaning rather than my question. My question is if you practice Tang Soo Do, what does your school/organization use? My small independent school used Black. A friend under C.S. Kim uses Midnight Blue.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We use black belts vs. midnight blue or navy. I believe our reasons have more to do with the fact that my KJN went with the KTA during unification, vs going the Soo Bahk Do route.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use black belts vs. midnight blue or navy. I believe our reasons have more to do with the fact that my KJN went with the KTA during unification, vs going the Soo Bahk Do route.
This is likely correct. Branches that stayed with the KTA use black, and typically call their art TKD. Branches that left with GM Hwang Kee, but split from him prior to his decision to rename the art tend to use black and call their art Tang Soo Do. Those that split later will use Blue and tend to call their art Soo Bahk Do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trained with a lot of Tang Soo guys over the years. I never had one of those dark blue belts myself, but I really like the look of them.

I think they’re cool.

Latest Discussions