Methodology against grappler. Your thoughts?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I second that.

Some of the takedown defenses coming out of the striking arts are laughably bad.

To me, take down defenses have to come out of grappling arts. It seems like a no brainer to me, but that might be because my art of American Karate didn't have any take down defenses. (someone else's American Karate might, mine didn't)

I'll say one thing, take down defense in the UFC sure has come a long way. I really love watching someone with good take down defense. Must be so damn frustrating trying to take a guy down and not be able to do it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, take down defenses have to come out of grappling arts. It seems like a no brainer to me, but that might be because my art of American Karate didn't have any take down defenses. (someone else's American Karate might, mine didn't)

I'll say one thing, take down defense in the UFC sure has come a long way. I really love watching someone with good take down defense. Must be so damn frustrating trying to take a guy down and not be able to do it.

You go until they are down.
What to Expect from Russia - Flowrestling

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One I was contemplating is to step back and turn, pulling them past.

What you have stated is a very important grappling art principle. In CMA, it's called "to lead your opponent into the emptiness".

This principle can be explained as simple as:

- move out of your opponent's moving path (step back and turn),
- redirect his force vector (pulling), and
- give him plenty of space to fall (pass)".

downward_pulling.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions