Southern Wu Style Taijiquan Questions

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can't say I know much about Wu style. I met a guy who learned a Wu style form, but he hadn't gone any deeper than that. The form he showed me wasn't too far off of the 108 I practice.

When I was studying Ba Gua I was taught a footwork exercise called Nine Palaces that involved using a series of nine poles that you moved through while performing palm changes. I wonder if it's similar or related.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I came across an old book I had on Wu Style Taijiquan Gah Gee by Leung Shum. It is mostly pictures of postures but the first few pages are about taijiquan and I came across this

Among the most important and basic aspects of Tai Chi Chuan are the Eight Powers and the Five Internal and Five External positions,

The Eight Powers are: (1) Ward Off (2) Roll Back (3) Press (4) Push (5) Pull, (6) Split, (7) Elbowing, and (8) Shouldering

The Five Internals positions are: (1) Sticking, (2) Attaching, (3) Joining, (4) Following, and (5) Neither letting go nor resisting

The Five External positions are: (1) Step Forward, (2) Step Backward (3) Look Left, (4) Look Right, and (5) Stand Centered

And I was told by a person, on another forum, who had trained Wu that the 9-Palace is a qigong form

Latest Discussions