"Merantau" - a Harimau movie has gone in to production!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
omgOMGomgOMGomgOMG

I SO WANT TO SEE THIS!!

A look at Indonesian Silat movie Mirantau

The film has me excited for two big reasons. One, it’s being put together largely by folks new to the martial arts movie scene. Evans is a longtime martial arts movie fan who is shooting his first martial arts film. Uwais, a student of Silat is acting and doing screen fighting for the first time and the film’s fight coordinator Edwel Datuk Rajo Gampo Alam is a Silat Harimau master who is also new to filmmaking.
Second, the film is tackling Silat, a martial arts style that we haven’t seen represented in any substantial way before. For some, this lack of experience could be a problem but from behind-the-scenes footage that has been released it looks like the production team is using this opportunity to put together action scenes from a fresh angle.
Here’s the official synopsis for the movie.

The official synopsis:

In Minangkabau, West Sumatra, Yuda (Iko Uwais), a skilled practitioner of Silat Harimau is in the final preparations to begin his “Merantau,” a century’s old rites-of-passage to be carried out by the community’s young men that will see him leave the comforts of his idyllic farming village and make a name for himself in the bustling city of Jakarta.
After a series of setbacks leave Yuda homeless and uncertain about his new future, a chance encounter results in him defending the orphaned Astri (Sisca Jessica) from becoming the latest victim of a European human trafficking ring led by the wildly psychotic, Ratger (Mads Koudal) and his right-hand man Luc (Laurent Buson).
With Ratger injured in the melee and seeking both his “merchandise” and bloody retribution, Yuda’s introduction to this bustling city is a baptism of fire as he is forced to go on the run with Astri and her younger brother Adit as all the pimps and gangsters that inhabit the night hound the streets chasing their every step.
With escape seemingly beyond their grasp, Yuda has no choice but to face his attackers in an adrenaline charged, jaw-dropping finale.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi All ! I'll keep my eyes open for this ! Sounds fun. Will it be available for distribution to USA? I have had to order some silat based movies from Malaysia before....always nicer if I can get it here in USA.
Doc

orang_baik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the movie is recommended if you want to know about silat, but not recommended if want to know the detail of silat (because the actor is not even a famous silat practitioner in indonesia)

the background of this movie is to introduce indonesian silat (especially from padang) to the world, I think it was inspired by Ong Bak (IMHO)

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did this movie ever come out?--- I heard there was another silat heavy film as well----Any info on that or this one?

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
finally got a copy of this. very disappointing starts off well but goes into a bad ong bak imitation. wished it showed alot more silat in there, most of it after hte beginning was like ongbak

Latest Discussions