Meditation

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So as not to hijack Matt's thread, I'm posting here.

How many of you meditate? What is your routine? How often do you meditate? What do you think about? Do you envision yourself accomplishing difficult tasks, perfecting techniques, etc? Or do you just try to clear your mind and *think of nothing*?

Matt reached a sense of *enlightenment*, has anyone else experienced this? He also meditated for 2 hours and continued to intentionally carry a mind-set throughout his day.

I admire his achievement. I have a hard time seeing myself meditating for 2 hours though. I can't see it for 30 minutes! lol I feel my mind would start wandering, I'd either get restless, or so restful it would turn into a nap. Yet, I would like to reap the benefits of successful meditation. I've never really tried it before, never really thought about trying it until reading Matt's post. I'm not even sure where to start.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this practice? What personal benefits have you experienced through the practice of meditation?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I mediate. I do about 3-4 times a day for 30-1 hour a session. If there is something on my mind I perform a technique in which you speak to "Spirit helper" for advice. I find sitting in cold water under the shower or in the Rain to help cleanse oneself and will put you in a mediation state similar to Misogi ritual.

I perform other mediation exercises and through daily activites do I work to become mindful of my body mind and speech.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actual meditation (not qigong) I just started doing again recently and I am not meditating to awfully long, 15 to 20 minutes at most.

I use to do more but I also use to have more time too, but the absolute longest I ever meditated was 1 hour.

I try to clear my mind but right now I am back to just watching thoughts popup, sit for a bit and then fade away. I believe one person I once dealt with that was far more experienced at meditation than I called them "Mind Monkeys" and told me to just watch them play for a minute and then they will leave… that is if you pay no real attention to them.

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just started zazen about a month ago. So far the longest I can go is 30 minutes. I am motivated to do more but my knees start screaming at about the 20 minute mark and I'm not even in full or half lotus only burmese. I use the breath count method described by Aitken Roshi in his book "Taking the Path of Zen". The counting helps to keep the thoughts at bay, but when they do creep in I just start my count over. Thats why its called practice.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actual meditation (not qigong) I just started doing again recently and I am not meditating to awfully long, 15 to 20 minutes at most.

I use to do more but I also use to have more time too, but the absolute longest I ever meditated was 1 hour.

I try to clear my mind but right now I am back to just watching thoughts popup, sit for a bit and then fade away. I believe one person I once dealt with that was far more experienced at meditation than I called them "Mind Monkeys" and told me to just watch them play for a minute and then they will leave… that is if you pay no real attention to them.

Thanks Xue. "Mind Monkeys", I like that. :) So, you just try and clear your mind and let the thoughts come and go until you reach that *place*?

Just started zazen about a month ago. So far the longest I can go is 30 minutes. I am motivated to do more but my knees start screaming at about the 20 minute mark and I'm not even in full or half lotus only burmese. I use the breath count method described by Aitken Roshi in his book "Taking the Path of Zen". The counting helps to keep the thoughts at bay, but when they do creep in I just start my count over. Thats why its called practice.

I'm not familiar with the term "zazan", but how important is it really to be in a lotus (or as close as you can) position?

What are the benefits of meditation? I can understand using it to visualize to accomplish something, as Matt seemed to experience. But it seems I hear most about the "mind clearing" thing.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting a more serious meditation practice, as my short little bits (up to 15-20 min) are very helpful at clearing my mind, when I can do them. I find all the issues you had going in are often still there, but it's easier to put them in perspective and deal with them. I had one session where I reached an amazing awareness state that lasted for the evening, but i think I keep "trying to hard" to reach that state again...sigh.

I read this book (something like "meditation for busy people" :rolleyes:) that emphasized that even short 5 minute meditations were useful, and I agree it helps to clear hte mind and move forward more effectively, but it is nothing like that elated awarness that Matt mentioned.

Something similar to Xue's "mind monkeys" (great concept, btw) is to picture Lilliputian-like figures that represent your random thoughts/worries, and let them walk or fade away. Again, this was read somewhere, but the idea is similar...let them take shape, and then let them go...

Thanks for an interesting post!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
...How many of you meditate? What is your routine? How often do you meditate? What do you think about? Do you envision yourself accomplishing difficult tasks, perfecting techniques, etc? Or do you just try to clear your mind and *think of nothing*?...What are your thoughts and experiences with this practice? What personal benefits have you experienced through the practice of meditation?

I meditated on a regular basis for a while when I was going through a rough spot in my life, and I really should get back to it. I was shown different techniques, but I prefer the typical Zen Buddhist method, as it clears my ill mind and gives me a sense of calm.
Over the years, I've heard a lot of people say that it makes them sleepy. I think that if this is the case you probably aren't doing it right (no offence to anyone who has experienced this). If you are interested in Zen meditation, a book on the subject that I like is "Touching the Earth: Guided Meditations for Mindfulness Practice" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

I'm thinkin' maybe I should START meditating, I'm a disorgamanated mental mess just now......

That's a great reason to start meditation :)

Peace

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks Xue. "Mind Monkeys", I like that. :) So, you just try and clear your mind and let the thoughts come and go until you reach that *place*?

That's about it, don't try and stop them just let them come in pay then little attention and they will eventually leave. Eventually they won't bother stopping by :)

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the term "zazan", but how important is it really to be in a lotus (or as close as you can) position?

What are the benefits of meditation? I can understand using it to visualize to accomplish something, as Matt seemed to experience. But it seems I hear most about the "mind clearing" thing.
JT, zazen just literally means "seated meditation". A person does not have to be in lotus or half-lotus etc. but it is a matter of aligning the spine and proper posture for relaxation and breathing. Right now I switch back and forth between burmese and seiza depending on how loud my knees are barking.

While it is true that zazen can and is used for things such as visualization and relaxation, this is not the primary goal of Zen.

I would recommend reading the Zen FAQ on this board for more insight from people who are much more practiced than myself.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Zazen
zazen.jpg

zazen3.jpg

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meditation is an integral part of my family's religious life.

Mr G

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find my meditation sessions very different depending on the need of the moment. Sometimes they are only minutes long, Other time I totally loose track of time. It's hard to explain without sounding stupid...

When I feel out of sorts, I try to find a comfortable position, seated, laying prone, curled up, whatever as long as my muscles tell me they can rest. Then I visualize a progressive journey. A walk in the woods that gets denser and denser... That is when I feel like I drift off the path and let my self become more organized.

I've read a book: Peace Is Every Step by Thich nhat Han which described walking meditation. I really like that when I'm not at home in my own space.

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many of you meditate?

All of us.

What is your routine?

I sit from 4-5am, two hours in the evening, and practice various other meditations during the day.

How often do you meditate?

What do you think about?

A ghost's fart.

Do you envision yourself accomplishing difficult tasks, perfecting techniques, etc?

This is not meditation.

Or do you just try to clear your mind and *think of nothing*?

This is a waste of time.

Matt reached a sense of *enlightenment*, has anyone else experienced this?

Dogs chase mudballs.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this practice?

What practice?

What personal benefits have you experienced through the practice of meditation?

Burritos make me fart.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Mark A. Beardmore
-MT Moderator-

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been practicing my form of "meditation" for years and it helps me to relax and brings a calm to me. I try to do it twice a day for about 15 minutes each.

Sitting in a Lotus position I "emty" my mind by focusing on my breathing, In 1 count Hold 4 counts Out 2 counts. When finished I feel rejuvenated.

Sometimes I forget to lock my office door and people have walked in on me, a little embarrassing
icon10.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinkin' maybe I should START meditating, I'm a disorgamanated mental mess just now......

Nah man, you just need to come visit us out here.

I meditate. I focus on my breathing until it all "floats away" and then "snaps back" if that makes sense.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What happens to your life when you don't want anything?

Latest Discussions