"May I honor you with my kata?"

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as a judge I have a big dislike for when a student states they are going to do a form, then change that form. I will absolutely ding them on it.

The only issue that I take with this is in an open tournament. Coming from a hybridized system and having studied at schools that taught the purer versions of what I learned hybridized, I know first hand that my Saifa (for example) will not likely look like the judge's Saifa, because I was taught it under a different thought process. I may know the difference now, but as a blue belt, I never knew that there was another way.

Another example is the kata "Wankan"... to a shotokan person, it is a very differnet form than to a Shorin Ryu student.

Looking at the form based on technical merit (stances, technique, etc) is all one really has to go by in an open tournament. After that it's personal preference, and competitors aren't mind readers.

In a closed tournament however, you damned well better get the kata right if you say that you're gonna do it!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But as to the OP and "honoring the judges" with your kata...I personally find that to be a wee bit presumptious as to what your performance will be like and what my experience is.

Just intro yourself, your school and style, and the kata you plan on doing (plans do change, though...). Do it in a strong, confident and controlled voice that doesn't sound like you're a drill sergeant or a squashed gerbil.

My thoughts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among other things I may have not heard what they said, I may have questions about the weapon if its a weapon form, or I may ask to inspect the weapon If I think its not appropriate, or safe.
usually when I did weapons forms I presented my weapon to the judges as well. I used a staff that was extremely hard and heavy, I found once the head judge grabbed it(which they almost always will when being presented with it) they usually passed it to the others to test the weight as well. Funny how they will judge differently when they know you are using a weapon that weighs several pounds versus a hollowed out tapered plastic straw. Of course I would probably not have presented the weapon if I had used a straw either..... /shrug
One tournament I go to regularly specifically prohibits "toothpick bos" and will disqualify or mark contestants down for using too light of a staff... An attitude I agree with.

Latest Discussions