Material arts and tricking

Knevelsvej

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I have a kid which have been doing material for many years now.

He combine it with tricking, and try to spread the interest for materials art using youtube.

I like the combination - not for fighting, but for shows.

Example:

Chanel:
Lukas VOL

Do any of you have your own YouTube channel?

Best Regards

K

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
His athleticism is impressive, but to be honest it is nothing new, it is pretty much Modern Wushu that is found in the majority of Martial arts competitions in China

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tricking with a stick does not Material Arts make.....or, can cacography lead to the disambiguation of the human popsicle?

Inquiring minds want to know.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Before I got into martial arts, I thought the cool flashy stuff (trick stuff) was incredible and where it was at. As I got into martial arts, I learned that most of the cool flashy stuff only actually works in movies. Lately I have been rethinking a bit.

I have been recalling my soccer playing days. Every coach I had, made us do a bit of ball juggling (keeping the ball in the air, with everything except hands and arms). Every one of them had us spend some time learning fancy dribbling patterns and every one of them wanted us to dribble the ball everywhere we went. Doing these drills and exercises made us very familiar with the ball. I learned how it behaved, how to touch it, how to spin it, how to remove spin how to catch it... And I wasn't even that good at the juggling / dribbling. I got a lot from it that I would not have gotten any other way.

Now, there was always these guys that were amazing at the fancy dribbling and the juggling. They spent a ton of time practicing it. But, that didn't always translate to you wanting that guy on your team. The game of soccer is a lot bigger than ball handling skills. If you do not know where you need to be, and where the ball needs to be, it does not matter if you can put the exact spin you want on it. However, if you do know where you need to be and where the ball needs to be, the more touch you have with the ball, means you can be much more effective on the field.

If you want to be a ball juggler, thats what you need to practice. If that is all you practice and you try to play soccer, you will quickly become a liability to your team. So, what is the right balance to practicing ball juggling verses learning the game of soccer? All my coaches, used the juggling to warm us up before practice and fancy dribbling to cool us down after practice... and made us dribble the ball every where went between practice.

At this point in my training... I think that is about right for martial arts. Doing some of the flashy, fancy stuff can help you learn things, and get a better feel for things. If you want to be a "street effective" martial artist, there are some things you can learn and perfect through some of the fancy stuff. But I think that fancy stuff should be as a part of a quick warm up or cool down and an "in between practice type of thing." Your main practice should be effective, practical basics of your art. (unless your goal is to become part of one of the fancy, flashy demo teams... martial arts juggling does take a lot of practice, skill and commitment... it just is not the game of soccer)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still looks more practical that a lot of martial arts training.

OP
K

Knevelsvej

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your time and reply.

Just to clarify - not all are in to tournaments or MMA fights. I my sons case he's more into pushing limits for his physical abilities, and have never chosen Material arts to be able to kick *** on the streets or in the ring.

There are by no means anything wrong with tournaments - there are just also other thing in material arts than that......

He's like the material arts training, for compared with weight lifting, he's training the whole body including the "small" muscles in a harmonic way.

Best Regards

K

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your time and reply.

Just to clarify - not all are in to tournaments or MMA fights. I my sons case he's more into pushing limits for his physical abilities, and have never chosen Material arts to be able to kick *** on the streets or in the ring.

There are by no means anything wrong with tournaments - there are just also other thing in material arts than that......

He's like the material arts training, for compared with weight lifting, he's training the whole body including the "small" muscles in a harmonic way.

Best Regards

K
Just a quick note, K - you've consistently misspelled "martial arts" as "material arts". Your English is pretty good overall, so I thought you might want to know.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi

I have a kid which have been doing material for many years now.

He combine it with tricking, and try to spread the interest for materials art using youtube.

I like the combination - not for fighting, but for shows.

Example:

Chanel:
Lukas VOL

Do any of you have your own YouTube channel?

Best Regards

K
Good on him. This isn't my type of thing but respect for him for doing it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a quick note, K - you've consistently misspelled "martial arts" as "material arts". Your English is pretty good overall, so I thought you might want to know.
Yeah first I thought it was a typo then I thought he was talking about something completely different lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
have never chosen Material arts to be able to kick *** on the streets or in the ring.
You don't need to train MA to kick someone's ***. You train MA so others cannot kick your ***.

For example, someone tries to

- punch your head 20 times and miss all punches.
- kick your body 20 times and miss all kicks.
- take you down 20 times and you can still standing.
- mount on top of you and end with you mount on top of him.

When I was 5, a hung Mongolian girl always took me down, mounted on top of me, and punched on my head daily. I started to train MA since then so I would never allow any girl to mount on top of me for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need to train MA to kick someone's ***. You train MA so others cannot kick your ***.

For example, someone tries to

- punch your head 20 times and miss all punches.
- kick your body 20 times and miss all kicks.
- take you down 20 times and you can still standing.
- mount on top of you and end with you mount on top of him.

When I was 5, a hung Mongolian girl always took me down, mounted on top of me, and punched on my head daily. I started to train MA since then so I would never allow any girl to mount on top of me for the rest of my life.
Only if that's your reason to train. People have different reasons for training, and some actually do train for the purpose of 'kicking people's a**'

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only if that's your reason to train. People have different reasons for training, and some actually do train for the purpose of 'kicking people's a**'
This is why we have online discussion. People all express their different opinions. There is no right or wrong but different.

I taught Taiji to a group of old people. Before I taught them a move, I would explain the application first. One old guy asked me, "Do you expect us to fight in our age?" My answer to them was the MA application is the only guideline that can keep the MA on the right track. Without it, MA can be changed beyond recognition.

MA can be trained for

1. combat,
2. performance,
3. health,
4. self-cultivation, inner peace, ...

No matter what's your purpose to train MA, you still have to hold your fist the right way, punch/kick the right way, and ...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why we have online discussion. People all express their different opinions. There is no right or wrong but different.

I taught Taiji to a group of old people. Before I taught them a move, I would explain the application first. One old guy asked me, "Do you expect us to fight in our age?" My answer to them was the MA application is the only guideline that can keep the MA on the right track. Without it, MA can be changed beyond recognition.

MA can be trained for

1. combat,
2. performance,
3. health,
4. self-cultivation, inner peace, ...

No matter what's your purpose to train MA, you still have to hold your fist the right way, punch/kick the right way, and ...
If they aren’t training for combat, the “right way” might be quite different. Once combat effectiveness isn’t the aim, smooth motion or fluid grace might be more important.

Kinetic Anomaly

White Belt
Reaction score
If they aren’t training for combat, the “right way” might be quite different. Once combat effectiveness isn’t the aim, smooth motion or fluid grace might be more important.

"If they aren't training for combat ... " you kick their *** and then move on with the combat training. Then they can teach their grandkids and children some manners after a year of it, and probably beat you up in a group or something too. That's a good thing to teach old people actually: Mob beatings. A group of elderly can kung pow a mugger or young rooster that way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If they aren't training for combat ... " you kick their *** and then move on with the combat training. Then they can teach their grandkids and children some manners after a year of it, and probably beat you up in a group or something too. That's a good thing to teach old people actually: Mob beatings. A group of elderly can kung pow a mugger or young rooster that way.
I'm not sure what this has to do with my post, actually.

Latest Discussions