mom vs me in karate who win?

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys,

My mom is a yoga coach, she was tired and tell her yoga is useless and easy so she challenged me in my sport. We have a bet on it so for you who did win?

Thx ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well....I don't think you can consider anyone a winner in that...but if looking at it with who landed better shots...then I'd say she did

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also have to say..you say yoga is useless...well useless for what? Fighting then yes it is because it's not a marital art but it's a great form of exercise and numerous martial artists use yoga to help with flexibility and to relieve stress so they get less Injuries and I've done it a few times and I've been in more pain there than any martial art class so no it's not easy at all.

OP
J

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi and thx for watching,

I agree with you about yoga but i was just having fun of her. I still think that for fighting skill karate is still better than yoga.I am a bit surprise you give ehr as the winner. it was her first time ever trying a martial art... :(

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi and thx for watching,

I agree with you about yoga but i was just having fun of her. I still think that for fighting skill karate is still better than yoga.I am a bit surprise you give ehr as the winner. it was her first time ever trying a martial art... :(
Well obviously as yoga isn't a martial art so Id expect so. Well she landed better strikes and more of them. If it was a competition I'd score it for her sorry

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep rewarding I'd 100% give it to her. Apart from one exchange in the middle she won every exchange with her kicks and set the pace and controlled the range of the fight.

OP
J

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok well thanks :(

It was a bit unfair coz she has longer legs...

She pretend that if there was one more round she would have KO me... I am not agree with that at all even if I admit that she was far better than what i did exept... You think she's right?

Are you a martial artist yourself?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

She pretend that if there was one more round she would have KO me... I am not agree with that at all even if I admit that she was far better than what i did exept... You think she's right?

That's fighting for you it's not always fair and who knows maybe anyone can knock anyone out on any day training doesn't make you invincible.

Yes I am

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your training should have given you the advantage. It didn't, so it's time to figure out why. In my experience, most of us (myself included, at times) don't put enough into our training to get what it can give.

OP
J

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
@Headhunter thx dude!

Even if I confess that "defeat" is painfull and not even physically... In the case, she won I'll have to do all the chores alone for 1 month... :(

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Headhunter thx dude!

Even if I confess that "defeat" is painfull and not even physically... In the case, she won I'll have to do all the chores alone for 1 month... :(
Well there we go then. It shouldn't be painful just get training and get better

OP
J

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
Your training should have given you the advantage. It didn't, so it's time to figure out why. In my experience, most of us (myself included, at times) don't put enough into our training to get what it can give.

hi and thx for watching,

So for you she won too? Is it clear? You think she would have KO me if we played one more round?

ni the case I loose why?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi and thx for watching,

So for you she won too? Is it clear? You think she would have KO me if we played one more round?

ni the case I loose why?
I don't do scored sparring, so I'll bow to those who do in declaring a winner.

My take is that she controlled the situation more than you did. You were more composed, but let her get shots you should have been able to avoid. She used her natural athleticism (enhanced by yoga - something many of us on this forum also use) and reach to her advantage. You failed to capitalize on your advantages (speed and balance), and didn't do much to defend yourself or control the range. That's all good, useful information you can take back into your training, so (other than the chores) it doesn't really matter who won - you got something good out of it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL.
Looks like you were both having fun...That is the most important part. Enjoying the training.

You had approximately 16 strikes contact compared to Mom's 25. She out struck you.
She was quicker and threw approximately 37 strikes vs your 31. She out worked you making her contact percentage was higher.
She is taller but that's where you must learn to adapt. Her athleticism helped and as well as her continued attacking output. The difference in age was in her favor and that will switch rapidly in the next couple of years.

Don't look at your training as winning or loosing. Just keep working hard and having fun. Keep it exciting and you will get better. That is far more important than winning.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hi and thx for watching,

ni the case I loose why?
your only a kid, say you want rematch when your 16, that should even things out on the leg length issue. My dad could beat me to a pulp at 14, ended up sat on his bottom when i was 17

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You got served a plate of humiliation. How does it taste? Your mother who’s never trained a day in her life whupped you. And she could’ve taken you out at any point. She brought you into this world, and she’ll take you out of it.

Yes, I have Mom issues too.

All in good fun of course. Keep training, you look great.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, John. :)

Looks like you guys had fun, good for you and good for her. Keep it up, kiddo.

And enjoy doing those chores by yourself. ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a great example of how the style vs style talk is all nonsense. Here we have a karate brown belt losing to someone who's never trained In their life. It just shows training isn't everything. Martial arts don't make you invincible at all

Latest Discussions