Master Jay S. Penfil

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have several questions for you regarding bunkai for the okinawan forms. I think it would be an informative discussion for TSD practicioners on this board. Would you be interested in joining this discussion?

My first question - I have always been confused by a move in naihanchi cho dan. I do not understand very well the spead block where the right hand moves into ha dan mahkee and the left comes out directly from the shoulder and bends at a ninety degree angle from the elbow. What is this trying to show me?

Thanks

upnorthkyosa

Reaction score
There are several levels of Bunkai for this technique, as it is shown in the form.

The Ha Dan Mahk Kee in this move is not a defensive move at all. The hand that is coming back, over the shoulder is the defensive hand in this combination. As the opponent is executing a punch to your face, you are drawing back your hand and hooking the wrist of the incoming hand, drawing it just past your head, wile simultaneously striking the opponent in the floating ribs with the Ha Dan (Kong Gyuk) Mahk Kee.

Note: When striking in this fashion with Ha Dan Mahk Kee, you should be striking with the “Protrusion of the Ulna”, not the fist.

After completing this combination “Hooking/Drawing Block and Strike”, follow up with (what often times looks like Pahkesoo Ahnuro Mahk Kee) Cap Kwon Kong Gyuk to the cross-side eye socket.

Naihanchi Cho Dan is the shortest form that we do, but contains G R E A T Bunkai. If we can get together, I will take you through the whole form.

I am not always good at explaining the movements on paper. It is obviously easier to physically demonstrate them.

I hope that this will help you. I will be happy to answer any questions for you.

If you would like to join us on July 16th at the dojang of G.M. David Zacker for the seminar that I mentioned earlier, it will be a great way to get started on a training and sharing relationship.

I just returned from the 10th Annual Summer Training Camp with the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan with G.M. Charles Ferraro. There were 100 members present. My instructor, G.M. CHUNG IL KIM joined us for the weekend as well. We all had a great time, and learned a great deal.

Please take a moment to contact me by phone…248-561-5700.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though I do not practice Tang Soo Do, it's good to have someone with your experience, knowledge, and more importantly, willingness to share on this board....

Welcome...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Master Jay S. Penfil said:
There are several levels of Bunkai for this technique, as it is shown in the form.

The Ha Dan Mahk Kee in this move is not a defensive move at all. The hand that is coming back, over the shoulder is the defensive hand in this combination. As the opponent is executing a punch to your face, you are drawing back your hand and hooking the wrist of the incoming hand, drawing it just past your head, wile simultaneously striking the opponent in the floating ribs with the Ha Dan (Kong Gyuk) Mahk Kee.

Note: When striking in this fashion with Ha Dan Mahk Kee, you should be striking with the “Protrusion of the Ulna”, not the fist.

After completing this combination “Hooking/Drawing Block and Strike”, follow up with (what often times looks like Pahkesoo Ahnuro Mahk Kee) Cap Kwon Kong Gyuk to the cross-side eye socket.

The drawing move is what I suspected. I've heard that move described as everything from knocking a guy off your horse to blocking a strike to the back of the head (without even looking!)

I practiced this move last night with an uki and a few more questions pop out. When striking with the backfist, the other hand moves in and comes to rest under the elbow of the striking arm, fist down. Is this hand involved in this application or is their another application for this?

Naihanchi Cho Dan is the shortest form that we do, but contains G R E A T Bunkai. If we can get together, I will take you through the whole form.
I am not always good at explaining the movements on paper. It is obviously easier to physically demonstrate them.

I hope that this will help you. I will be happy to answer any questions for you.

If you would like to join us on July 16th at the dojang of G.M. David Zacker for the seminar that I mentioned earlier, it will be a great way to get started on a training and sharing relationship.

I just returned from the 10th Annual Summer Training Camp with the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan with G.M. Charles Ferraro. There were 100 members present. My instructor, G.M. CHUNG IL KIM joined us for the weekend as well. We all had a great time, and learned a great deal.

Please take a moment to contact me by phone…248-561-5700.
I would love to get together sometime and train. These bunkai have got to replace the old federation ill soo shik and ho sin shul that we do. However, I won't be able to make it to Michigan for the seminar. If you ever plan to come to the Twin Ports, let me know. We have a sizable TSD community in the area. My dojang is growing, my teacher would probably drive up to train, and there are a lot of WTSD practicioners up here who trace their lineage through Master Robert Willis.

TSDMDK16485

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personally have met Sa bom nium Penfil. You will not find a better bunki instructor or knowledgable person in the martial arts. we had a great time at the TSDMGK international championships this past july. And I had the prevliage of meeting a senior ranking Moo Duk Kwan Member KJN CI Kim. I look forward to seeing and training with them again..

Reaction score
I have to apologize for having not been on this board for several months…

Thank you for all of your kind words expressed in this thread!!!

I am available for conversation via cell phone at: 248-561-5700

Email at: [email protected]

or to come to train at your convenience.

For those of you that have met and or trained with me as of this time, you know that it is my goal, and mission to meet with everyone that is interested in sharing good things.

Quincy Jones once said;
Knowledge is food that nourishes the brain.

I’m hungry!!!

How about you?

I will look forward to hearing from all of you at any time. If you have questions, or something to share, please don’t hesitate to call me at any time.

Today is a unique time for all of us, as we are celebrating both Christmas and Chanukah on the same calendar date this year. I would like to take this moment to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, a Happy Chanukah, and a Happy and Healthy New Years!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Penfil even though I'm a TKD's I enjoy someone with the knowledge of yourself. Hoping your Holidays was as great as mine.
Master Terry Lee Stoker

Reaction score
Master Stoker,
Thank you; my holiday has been G R E A T so far. I have another 7 nights to go. Our family is large, and looks forward to celebrating everything together. We have dinners planned for the entire week at different homes. It is always a good thing when you can be with those you love!!!

I am going to be in Texas later in the year for some seminars. If you would like, I will keep you posted as to when and where. When I teach, everyone is welcome, regardless of system, organization affiliations, etc.

I will look forward to hearing from you soon…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Stoker,
Thank you; my holiday has been G R E A T so far. I have another 7 nights to go. Our family is large, and looks forward to celebrating everything together. We have dinners planned for the entire week at different homes. It is always a good thing when you can be with those you love!!!

I am going to be in Texas later in the year for some seminars. If you would like, I will keep you posted as to when and where. When I teach, everyone is welcome, regardless of system, organization affiliations, etc.

I will look forward to hearing from you soon…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Master Penfil please keep me informed and with enough notice so I can attend.
Master stoker

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Master Penfil

Please visit us here at MT. The TSD community is still in its fledgeling stages and we really have the opportunity to create a community discussion of our art that focuses on the art and not the politics. All of us in KMA would benefit from your participation here. Thanks for you postings, sir...

upnorthkyosa

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some input on some of the video threads that are posted in this forum. I'm currently putting together a set of Ill Soo Shik that goes along with the Pyung Ahn Hyungs. These will be presented at my 3rd dan test and I am probably going to teach them to my students when I'm done.

Reaction score
If your 3rd dan test is going to be an open event, or you can arrange an invitation for me to attend, I will come in for it. If you like, and it is accepted by your seniors, I can teach a seminar for you during that weekend.

Let me know what you (and your seniors) think...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your 3rd dan test is going to be an open event, or you can arrange an invitation for me to attend, I will come in for it. If you like, and it is accepted by your seniors, I can teach a seminar for you during that weekend.

Let me know what you (and your seniors) think...

I'm sure my teacher would have no problem with it. I will arrange it if you would like...and I would be honored if you attended. I am about a year out from testing. Grad school and two new babies made it kinda hard to make the three hour drive to see my teacher. For my first dan test, my teacher invited a bunch of artists for an all day seminar where each person took a small amount of time and taught something...so a seminar would not be out of the question.

Reaction score
Just a quick check...

If you are interested in participating in this, and/or other seminars, please post your information in this thread so we can contact you to discuss this opportunity...

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Penfil I have some things to discuss with you...I will give you a call (or you call me, either way), I have some things to send you in this regard.
Take care,
--Josh

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jay,

Roy told me you are opening up a new school.

Congratulations! When's the grand opening?

Miles

Reaction score
Hi Peter,
We don't have an exact date yet. We are doing the build out at this time. Give me a call... 248-561-5700

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Latest Discussions