Martial arts: Way of the Warrior

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting. I liked the bit about Goju Ryu. Interesting style. I didn't know anything about it. Just the little bit that they showed, I learned a lot. I like to try it some day :)

OP
K

Kirk

It's on again in a couple hours. Right now, Martial Arts Kung Fu
Fighter is on, and then Martial Arts: The Way Of The Samurai is
on after that, then a replay of said show after that.

OP
M

MinnieMin

Originally posted by karatekid1975
I thought it was interesting. I liked the bit about Goju Ryu. Interesting style. I didn't know anything about it. Just the little bit that they showed, I learned a lot. I like to try it some day :)

Me too, Goju Ryu was my favorite art among these others. I liked the other arts too; very interesting.

Kirk, see you at the seminar. :)

Min

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would have been a really good show if it were not for the inclusion of that Combat Ki crap. They've aired that show several times in the past, and I watch it up until the Juko-Kai poop. Then I get pissed and turn the TV off.

Cthulhu

OP
M

MinnieMin

Originally posted by Cthulhu
That would have been a really good show if it were not for the inclusion of that Combat Ki crap. They've aired that show several times in the past, and I watch it up until the Juko-Kai poop. Then I get pissed and turn the TV off.

Cthulhu
Funny, I just talked about it with my friend, Lisa, how stupid that crap (Combat Ki) was when we drove to San Antonio for HUK's seminar this morning. I understand you totally.

Min

OP
D

Disco

I saw that on TV also and I would less than honest if I said I wasen't skeptical. What are your viewpoints on it? My first question is why would I want or need to subject my body to that level of punishment, if in fact there was no trickery involved. It is just really hard for me to accept there position. I've been hit many times in training and competition and there's no way I could transfix my mental state as they claim and still function with speed and retaliation techiques. I'm perplexed............

OP
J

Jas0n

Originally posted by Disco
I saw that on TV also and I would less than honest if I said I wasen't skeptical. What are your viewpoints on it? My first question is why would I want or need to subject my body to that level of punishment, if in fact there was no trickery involved. It is just really hard for me to accept there position. I've been hit many times in training and competition and there's no way I could transfix my mental state as they claim and still function with speed and retaliation techiques. I'm perplexed............
I dont really understand it myself...Is it for real the show called it a martial art?

OP
S

sweeper

well that's what I'm unsure of.. they didn't realy show sparring from the art, I mean everytime they prepare to take a hit they go into stance and "chi up" as they said.. that's not very practical of fighting in my opinion..

OP
M

MinnieMin

Originally posted by sweeper
well that's what I'm unsure of.. they didn't realy show sparring from the art, I mean everytime they prepare to take a hit they go into stance and "chi up" as they said.. that's not very practical of fighting in my opinion..

In real fight, they have no time to prepare the stance and take time to chi up before they receive the hit.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

I'm down under in Australia so I can't tune in to your t.v.

However, if you're talking about the old B.B.C. [England] television series, The Way of the Warrior that was made back in the early 1980s then I agree they are great. I've had them all on video since they were first shown back in 1983.

The goju-ryu programme covers Higaonna Morio sensei at his dojo in Naha, Okinawa's capital city. On the strength of that show I travelled to Okinawa from my home in England and found that dojo to start my training in Goju-ryu. I had already been training in another style of karate for ten years, but was happy to start over from the begining.

I learnt how to hit a makiwara on the one seen in the programme and trained with all those students seen in the dojo. I have many good memories of that time even though the training was really hard. Twenty years later, I'm still training in goju-ryu and still loving it.

Mike.

OP
S

sweeper

I'm not sure if it's the same one, this program I think was like a top 10 martial arts in the world type thing. or maybe I'm thinking of something else

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Mike Clarke
I'm down under in Australia so I can't tune in to your t.v.

However, if you're talking about the old B.B.C. [England] television series, The Way of the Warrior that was made back in the early 1980s then I agree they are great. I've had them all on video since they were first shown back in 1983.

I too have the whole series and think they are really well documented.
I actually knew Hung Yi Syan from the TaiChi show. I met him at a MA demonstration in Taipei and ate dinner at his home on several occasions. We also talked about Chinese and Okinawan MA and how they were very similar.
He was a very nice man.
I did find it rather odd that the narrator said Mr. Hung didn’t speak Mandarin….since he does use a little bit of Mandarin on the documentary and I spoke to him in Mandarin while at his home.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a book of the same title that was published as sort of an accompaniment to the TV show. Very nicely done book. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to see the show.

Cthulhu

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Ryu Shin Kan,

I have some old footage taken when a delegation from Okinawa [Uechi-ryu mostly?] made a visit to Taiwan. I think it was in the 1960's [could be a little later?]. Sifu Hung is one of the Chinese martial artist demonstrating for the Okinawan visitors.
He looks quite young at the time and a fair bit lighter, but still a real handfull.

Cthulhu,

Yes I have the book too. I love the pencil drawings in it. The photos taken at the two goju-ryu dojo bring back many memories for me.

Mike.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I too have the whole series and think they are really well documented.
I actually knew Hung Yi Syan from the TaiChi show. I met him at a MA demonstration in Taipei and ate dinner at his home on several occasions. We also talked about Chinese and Okinawan MA and how they were very similar.
He was a very nice man.
I did find it rather odd that the narrator said Mr. Hung didn’t speak Mandarin….since he does use a little bit of Mandarin on the documentary and I spoke to him in Mandarin while at his home.

Did you see the other one? The Way of the Samurai?

Boy, the had an American, who's been in Japan 10 or 20 years,
studying with this 8th Dan. The American was beating the snot
out of his students, and running them through the gauntlet in
their training. It was quite humbling!!! Then he goes to his
Sensei's school for HIS training, which was super wild to watch.
6 foot something American, 5 foot something MUCH shorter
Japanese man knocking the ever loving snot out of him!

I'm assuming its the fear of lawsuits in this country that have
toned down American training so severly.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kirk
Did you see the other one? The Way of the Samurai?

Boy, the had an American, who's been in Japan 10 or 20 years,
studying with this 8th Dan. The American was beating the snot
out of his students, and running them through the gauntlet in
their training. It was quite humbling!!! Then he goes to his
Sensei's school for HIS training, which was super wild to watch.
6 foot something American, 5 foot something MUCH shorter
Japanese man knocking the ever loving snot out of him!

I'm assuming its the fear of lawsuits in this country that have
toned down American training so severly.

No, I haven’t seen that one.
What was this American guy studying anyway?

As much as I ***** about Japanese being total gutless wonders I have to give it to their mind set about entering a dojo.
Basically when you enter a dojo here you just expect to get the crap kicked out of you…all the time…..everytime.
A Judojo is a great example.
Two of my students are Japanese Secret Service Agents.
Through their introduction they and I used to work out with the Japanese Riot Squad……..instead of Judo is more like “The Whoop *** Hour”. That group often did things that aren’t allowed in most Judojo. Because of their job as Riot Cops I think they like to go at it a bit rougher.
I think It was a blast!

If we did some of that in the US I bet we would have been sued.

OP
C

chufeng

instead of Judo is more like “The Whoop *** Hour”. That group often did things that aren’t allowed in most Judojo. It was a blast!
If we did some of that in the US I bet we would have been sued.

That sucks...and that, in part, is why I don't go out looking for "everyone" to learn YiLi...we like to bump heads.

:asian:
chufeng

Latest Discussions