Martial Arts practice and Mindfullness

Discussion in 'Traditional Healing Arts' started by FullPotentialMA, Dec 3, 2013.

1. FullPotentialMA

FullPotentialMA White Belt

Recently, there have been several articles in the popular press, including in The Economist, about the rising popularity of "mindfulness training". I pulled together some of these citations into a short article about martial arts training for mindfulness, stress relief and for enhanced creativity, with interesting tidbits about Apple (Steve Jobs) and others. While the academic research had been predominantly focused on yoga, I believe that Karate, Tai-Chi, Qi-gong, and other martial arts training conveys similar benefits.
    Your thoughts?

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Just read anything by jon kabat-zinn, he covers all of this rather well

3. Tenacious_Red

Tenacious_Red Orange Belt

I agree. There is definitely a practice to be mindful of your space and the people around you. I notice there is more taught on an interpersonal level, how we train, take care of our bodies, present ourselves and represent the art itself. And as far as intrapersonal communications, we are to be diligent, virtuous and humble.

4. PennyBlack

PennyBlack White Belt

5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I wholeheartedly agree, I believe Martial Arts training conveys similar benefits as well.

6. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    New-Age nonsense.

It's called 'paying attention' and 'practicing diligently'. Nothing new about it.

7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    it is also called focus.... you could also call some qigong practices by the same name..... but there is more to this "New-Age nonsense" that paying attention and practicing diligently..... there is also a mediation bit...and mediation.... and qigong.... are far form "New age"

Now you can be dismissive and argumentative or you could check it out with a less dismissive attitude and see if you are right or possibly missing something, the first one by Jon Kabat Zinn (MIT, PhD) is quite good at talking about what he is doing