Martial Arts Movies

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Got it, you want to pay $9 to watch really bad plotlines and bad acting as long as people can only punch an kick each other. Wait for Ong Bak 2 to make theaters sometime next year, it just opened in Thailand last week, it will probably start being available bootlegged in the next couple of weeks.

I'm "old school" I hate new movies.. really of any kind. Not just martial arts movies. I liked the "cheese" factor of the older 80s movies. Just something about them. I can't relate to the heros of these new movies, like I can Daniel San, and Kurt Thomas. I don't know why. I'm a simpleton. I don't like complexity. I love campy horror, and campy 80s movies. Just personal taste. I didn't like Ong Bak either for the record. I just like my old movies. I guess thats what netflix is for. Speaking of that.. is there like a streaming site for martial arts movies like netflix? My video store here has all but gotten rid of all the classic VHS martial arts movies I loved as a kid. I'm left with these new movies.. that just don't cut it.

Never Back Down was pretty terrible. After seeing the main villain in "Twilight" (don't ask) I couldn't stand the thought of seeing that guy as a MMA fighter. Redbelt I hear is good, and I saw a trailer for another one with gary busey in it that looked interesting.

nothing beats Best of the Best!

"A team is only a team, if you give a damn about one another"

I like movies that have memorable one liners...

can't think of any recent MA movies with any notable catchy cheese lines.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That actually sounds like a pretty cool plot..I'll have to watch the trailor once I'm home and can hear the sound.

It's not a bad film at all, the fights as in Ong Bak are done by the actors, at the end of the film, is the out takes etc where they show the injuries! The poor lead actress gets battered as well as some of the 'bad' guys!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got it, you want to pay $9 to watch really bad plotlines and bad acting as long as people can only punch an kick each other.

It's like you read my mind, dude!

There have been some good ones recently, and I'm glad, but the Bourne films have only a tease of martial arts. We need an entire The Destroyer series!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm "old school" I hate new movies.. really of any kind. Not just martial arts movies. I liked the "cheese" factor of the older 80s movies. Just something about them. I can't relate to the heros of these new movies, like I can Daniel San, and Kurt Thomas. I don't know why. I'm a simpleton. I don't like complexity. I love campy horror, and campy 80s movies. Just personal taste. I didn't like Ong Bak either for the record. I just like my old movies. I guess thats what netflix is for. Speaking of that.. is there like a streaming site for martial arts movies like netflix? My video store here has all but gotten rid of all the classic VHS martial arts movies I loved as a kid. I'm left with these new movies.. that just don't cut it.

Never Back Down was pretty terrible. After seeing the main villain in "Twilight" (don't ask) I couldn't stand the thought of seeing that guy as a MMA fighter. Redbelt I hear is good, and I saw a trailer for another one with gary busey in it that looked interesting.

nothing beats Best of the Best!

"A team is only a team, if you give a damn about one another"

I like movies that have memorable one liners...

can't think of any recent MA movies with any notable catchy cheese lines.

Are you into the original Street Fighter series with Sonny Chiba?

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Try Seven Samurai, Five Deadly Venoms, Kid with the Golden Arm, 36 Chambers of Shaolin, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Under Seige, original The Ninja, etc. Those were plot lines and movies!!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should share your idea with us...

I'd love to, but I really need to have at least a rough draft of my ideas in script form first as I believe my ideas to be pretty good.

I have two — one a "serious" martial arts film and another that is lighter, a "kid friendly" type martial arts movie.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend had a very low budget movie he made my freshman year of college. I was the "stunt coordinator" & lead bad guy for a dream sequence. Our fight scenes were all that really got made.

Sadly, my dad needed to tape something quickly one day & my copy was erased.

I coulda been somebody.:uhyeah:

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A friend had a very low budget movie he made my freshman year of college. I was the "stunt coordinator" & lead bad guy for a dream sequence. Our fight scenes were all that really got made.

Sadly, my dad needed to tape something quickly one day & my copy was erased.

I coulda been somebody.:uhyeah:

You know I've had some of the same ideas...

These days with MiniDV cameras of the semi-pro level being almost affordable, and not too expensive to rent.. almost anyone can be a director. I've seen some pretty decent indie stuff made by people with no budget.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thought about it, if only to make something better than the crap that is out there. I would ban the following people from the set:

Chuck Norris
Don Wilson
Cynthia Rothrock
Van Damme
Anyone who has ever been in a ninja film
Anyone connected to MMA

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thought about it, if only to make something better than the crap that is out there. I would ban the following people from the set:

Chuck Norris
Don Wilson
Cynthia Rothrock
Van Damme
Anyone who has ever been in a ninja film
Anyone connected to MMA

I'm sorry I don't agree. If it wasn't for some of those people I would not have been interested in Martial Arts. I do agree that most of the movies they have made have been fairly campy movies. But I like those. Its tough to make a movie that focuses on martial arts as the main point without it being kinda cheesy.

You forgot..

Benny Urquidez
Richard Norton
Daniel Bernhart
Sasha Mitchell
Michelle Krasnoo
Lorenzo Lamas
Billy Blanks
Michael Dudikoff
William Zabka
Bolo Yeung
Keith Vitali
Brandon Gaines
Marc Dacascos
Simon and Philip Rhee

I could keep going.

who do we have to thank for martial arts movies now?

Jet Li?
Jackie Jan?

there aren't many. You could probably name more, because I don't keep up with it.

Everyone has different likes/dislikes. A movie doesn't need a plot with a good choreographed tail kicking every few minutes lol

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
They could have one titled "The Journey"

It'd feature a pretentious young man who starts training in some random art. He could over spiritualize every single technique he learns, and imbue wisdom into every training related utterance he never heard. Then when he's leaving his garage, some thugs appear, and punch his girlfriend int he gut, kidnapping her. Then it's all bald guys crashing through walls and dodging statues with spears.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to, but I really need to have at least a rough draft of my ideas in script form first as I believe my ideas to be pretty good.

I have two — one a "serious" martial arts film and another that is lighter, a "kid friendly" type martial arts movie.

Interesting. You should definitely work on the rough draft and share...copyright it first, of course...the poor man's way...print it out and mail it to yourself in a sealed envelope and don't ever open it.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got another light bulb going off..

what if we remade Karate Kid?

Cast a 10 year old as Daniel, and let Will Smith direct it?

Will Smith is killing a perfectly enjoyable movie by casting his son as Daniel and finding a Chinese Miyagi. Who's going to play the Cobra Kai, Hanna Montana and the cast of iCarly?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Will Smith is killing a perfectly enjoyable movie by casting his son as Daniel and finding a Chinese Miyagi. Who's going to play the Cobra Kai, Hanna Montana and the cast of iCarly?

OH Man I just read they are even doing some filming in Beijing :rolleyes: Well I am guessing any since of realism just got thrown out the window

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe Daniel-san in the remake is the son of a single father, who's stationed at the Chinese Embassy as some sort of agent/dignitary/whatever and he's kidnapped by... terrorists?

So Daniel-san has to save him with the skills he learned from Chinese-Miyagi, who also happens to be an ex Chinese Special Forces, who fought clandestinely alongside Will Smith against the Russians in their youth.

It's kinda like Three Ninjas, but with some hair on its chest.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

The continuing plague of remakes - and poor ones at that - is evidence of either a lack or new ideas or an unwillingness to produce them as they offend some PC Kommandment or other.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe Daniel-san in the remake is the son of a single father, who's stationed at the Chinese Embassy as some sort of agent/dignitary/whatever and he's kidnapped by... terrorists?

So Daniel-san has to save him with the skills he learned from Chinese-Miyagi, who also happens to be an ex Chinese Special Forces, who fought clandestinely alongside Will Smith against the Russians in their youth.

It's kinda like Three Ninjas, but with some hair on its chest.

well with this kind of plot change it isn't really The Karate Kid anymore, is it. Why not give it a new name, and leave The Karate Kid alone?