Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ever thought about being in/making one?

lol

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes...

It would be about a world-class martial artist (me) who's father competes in secret ninja games on an uncharted island, but has been gone missing after the games have been completed. The FBI would recruit me on a secret mission to find my father by entering into the secret ninja games, and I would have to use a special blend of Karate and gymnastics to survive and find my father...

Wait, why does this sound familier??

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes...

It would be about a world-class martial artist (me) who's father competes in secret ninja games on an uncharted island, but has been gone missing after the games have been completed. The FBI would recruit me on a secret mission to find my father by entering into the secret ninja games, and I would have to use a special blend of Karate and gymnastics to survive and find my father...

Wait, why does this sound familier??

your not limber enough for this role.

Lets cast Kurt Thomas instead.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got a brilliant idea for one as well..

It would revolve around the story of a young martial arts fanatic, who is obssessed with becoming a "superstar" in a no holds barred fighting tv show similar to today's professional wrestling, but with REAL fighting. In his goal, he finds that his "heros" are actually partaking in drug use, robbery, and murder. He spends the rest of the movie, trying to find out the reasoning behind this underground crime ring. All while falling in love with a spectator whose father just happens to be a chinese master of chi. Using this chi, the young man fights in a battle to save his new found love and his child hood hero who has been drugged so badly that he is now nothing more than a cruel monster.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hows about this:

A young martial arts student, seeking true mastery by reaching the final level and achieving the golden glow. Is pulled into a conflict between a beautiful video dj and a local crime lord. His master sends him on a wild goose chase to find a true master, but in doing battle with various underworld fighters...including the local "shogun"...he discovers he is the true master and has "the glow."

SHO' NUFF!

Peace,
Erik

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got another light bulb going off..

what if we remade Karate Kid?

Cast a 10 year old as Daniel, and let Will Smith direct it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon and Sylo! You two are cracking me up now I know you are both in the same office....... and are talking to each other on here!

:rofl:

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes. And I will have tiresome loooong fight scenes that do not involve gravity but do involve many, many bad guys who I will maim easily. I also will be very flexible!

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just want martial arts movies to go back to the days when they were "good" (if thats the right term).

I don't like all this digitally enhanced, power ranger style fight scenes. I like old school stuff.. where at least it resembles something that COULD possibly happen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen 'Chocolate' yet? A very big ouch factor in that one, the main character made me a bit uneasy though.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just want martial arts movies to go back to the days when they were "good" (if thats the right term).

I don't like all this digitally enhanced, power ranger style fight scenes. I like old school stuff.. where at least it resembles something that COULD possibly happen.

Did you miss the entire Bourne series and the last two Bonds? How about the (three?) MMA movies that came out in the last year? And come to think of it, how about Tony Jaa's movies?

Last edited:

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes and it would go something like this:

Sympathetic main hero, young, maybe 12-13 or so, is picked on and beaten up at school most days. Decides to start training at the local community center.

Movies covers several years of his training. 3-4 years maybe. Great footage of hard training, hard lessons and deep wisdom. This includes personal relationships with fellow students, bond with instructor and a female interest. Also establishes "bad guy" at school who constantly harasses this kid. By the end, our hero is world class.

Movie builds to the fully expected show down between them. Bad guy scoffs at the kids training, calling it worthless and a waste of time. Anticipation builds for the epic fight scene. Our hero KNOWS he can win, that the bad guy truly has no chance.

Epiphany, he has no need to fight. Walks away to the great amusement and verbal abuse of the bad guy. Hero smiles, knowing he's done the right thing. He has nothing to prove to this guy.

Movie fades to black.

Audience is stunned.

Credits start to roll.

Movie fades back in.

Bad guy crossing street, gets hit by bus.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did you miss the entire Bourne series and the last two Bonds? How about the (three?) MMA movies that came out in the last year?

Maybe I didn't explain very well.

I want martial arts movies back like they were when martial arts was the "focus". Like No Retreat No Surrender.

Typical... bad thing happens to guy, guy gets trained by master in a week, guy beats up supreme martial arts bad guy. Everyone is a martial artist.

cynthia rothrock
Richard Norton
Jeff Speakman
Van Damme
Don The Dragon Wilson
Keith Vitali

Just to name a few.

Redbelt I haven't seen yet.

and Never Back Down was just... no comment...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Movie fades to black.

Audience is stunned.

Credits start to roll.

Movie fades back in.

Fade to black.
Credits end.
Movie fades back in.
Hero is driving the bus.
Audience laughs.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't explain very well.

I want martial arts movies back like they were when martial arts was the "focus". Like No Retreat No Surrender.

Typical... bad thing happens to guy, guy gets trained by master in a week, guy beats up supreme martial arts bad guy. Everyone is a martial artist.

cynthia rothrock
Richard Norton
Jeff Speakman
Van Damme
Don The Dragon Wilson
Keith Vitali

Just to name a few.

Redbelt I haven't seen yet.

and Never Back Down was just... no comment...

Got it, you want to pay $9 to watch really bad plotlines and bad acting as long as people can only punch an kick each other. Wait for Ong Bak 2 to make theaters sometime next year, it just opened in Thailand last week, it will probably start being available bootlegged in the next couple of weeks.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes and it would go something like this:

Sympathetic main hero, young, maybe 12-13 or so, is picked on and beaten up at school most days. Decides to start training at the local community center.

Movies covers several years of his training. 3-4 years maybe. Great footage of hard training, hard lessons and deep wisdom. This includes personal relationships with fellow students, bond with instructor and a female interest. Also establishes "bad guy" at school who constantly harasses this kid. By the end, our hero is world class.

Movie builds to the fully expected show down between them. Bad guy scoffs at the kids training, calling it worthless and a waste of time. Anticipation builds for the epic fight scene. Our hero KNOWS he can win, that the bad guy truly has no chance.

Epiphany, he has no need to fight. Walks away to the great amusement and verbal abuse of the bad guy. Hero smiles, knowing he's done the right thing. He has nothing to prove to this guy.

Movie fades to black.

Audience is stunned.

Credits start to roll.

Movie fades back in.

Pretty awesome idea. If only that could really be made into a real movie...

As far as Never Back Down...it was Karate Kid meets Twilight. Blah.

Redbelt was actually pretty awesome, but there wasn't enough fighting in the movie and it moved rather slowly.

New movie idea:

Young boy at 9 years old earns his 1st degree blackbelt. His parents are proud of him for earning a blackbelt, but they are only enrolling him because the instructor offers afterschool programs for kids, and it's convienant as both parents are managers in a big company.

Over the course of an entire school year, the boy continues to get beat up because he is going around saying that he is a blackbelt, but is not able to back it up.

The parents finally realize that the school isn't teaching their child the correct values, and enroll their child in a small, rundown dojo at the end of the street.

Starting with a whitebelt, the boy, over the course of 7 years, earns his 1st degree. At 16, in highschool, he runs into a student from his old school, who was his friend at the time and received his 1st dan at the same time. Turns out his "friend" is now a 4th degree at the age of 16, and has turned into a bully.

The main character organizes a tournement between the 2 schools to settle who is the better school...with the smaller school winning, of course, and the McDojo having to leave town forever.

Latest Discussions