Martial Arts for Longevity

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Boxing training is the real deal when it comes to strength and stamina. Most martial arts dojo's in which I've trained pale in comparison. This is one of the main reasons I continue attending boxing gyms alongside my MA training. Running circuits, working the bag and the pads, jumping rope, shadow-boxing and similar training protocols are not for the faint of heart.
This is hard to dispute. Boxing and TMA are two different animals. I would say that the percentage of serious and dedicated people joining a boxing gym is greater than in TMA which generally attracts a wider range of people (even excluding kids).

As for the boxing training regimen, it is designed for sport and stamina to go several rounds of combat. TMA is set up for self-defense situations lasting 10 sec. to a minute. That said, there is no reason karate training cannot be as intense as boxing, utilizing heavy bag work, ropes and other demanding activities, and does, especially for those schools stressing competitive sparring. This depends on the school but would have a significant impact on the number of casual students attending. Seldom have I had a lesson where I wasn't soaked and drained at the end (not to mention bruised). Like any activity, you get out of it what you put into it.

Luckily there is an activity and gym to cater to most anyone's particular interests and goals.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like this thread. It gives me a chance to discuss why I like certain training than others during old age.

I strongly suggest people over 70 and do at least 100 kicks of different kind daily. I can throw 2000 punches daily. It won't help my balance. But if I throw 100 kicks daily, I can feel that my balance is still as good as when I was in my 30.

The roundhouse kick is one that I like to do daily.

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is hard to dispute. Boxing and TMA are two different animals. I would say that the percentage of serious and dedicated people joining a boxing gym is greater than in TMA which generally attracts a wider range of people (even excluding kids).

As for the boxing training regimen, it is designed for sport and stamina to go several rounds of combat. TMA is set up for self-defense situations lasting 10 sec. to a minute. That said, there is no reason karate training cannot be as intense as boxing, utilizing heavy bag work, ropes and other demanding activities, and does, especially for those schools stressing competitive sparring. This depends on the school but would have a significant impact on the number of casual students attending. Seldom have I had a lesson where I wasn't soaked and drained at the end (not to mention bruised). Like any activity, you get out of it what you put into it.

Luckily there is an activity and gym to cater to most anyone's particular interests and goals.
A small number of my MA instructors suggested supplementary training and actively encouraged it. TMA's are superb and I love them. My preference in choosing a dojo is to look at the physicality and fitness levels of the instructors and students. If they are fat and out of shape that is a bad sign. Unfortunately, there are plenty of unfit martial art instructors fobbing their students off with mystical nonsense and magical woo-woo. There are also a fair number who teach silly self-defence tactics, which if believed, are likely to get you into more trouble than keep you safe. When I began training Kyokushin in the 1970s, instructors were a lot tougher than you see nowadays. My old buddy is a 5th Dan now and told me you could never get away with training like we used to. The world has changed and jobs are more sedentary than ever. Strength and stamina are definitely required for fighting, self-defence and longevity. As individuals we have the ability to choose how we supplement our training and where we train. The stronger and more agile we are, the better our minds and bodies work, which means we can also more easily handle the challenges that everyday life throws our way.

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like this thread. It gives me a chance to discuss why I like certain training than others during old age.

I strongly suggest people over 70 and do at least 100 kicks of different kind daily. I can throw 2000 punches daily. It won't help my balance. But if I throw 100 kicks daily, I can feel that my balance is still as good as when I was in my 30.

The roundhouse kick is one that I like to do daily.

Balance is improved by strength training. Kicking practices are fine but they are limited in that you are only ever using your own bodyweight. Look into improving your overall strength by taking up a weight-training plan and improving your lean muscle mass. You can get even stronger and improve your balance further by performing single-leg variations of exercises... pistol-squats being one example.

Last edited:
OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balance is improved by strength training. Kicking practices are fine but they are limited in that you are only ever using your own bodyweight. Look into improving your overall strength by taking up a weight-training plan and improving your lean muscle mass. You can get even stronger and improve your balance further by performing single-leg variations of exercises... pistol-squats being one example.
I find as I near 50 I have to add free weights, cardio, and a personal trainer in addition to Hapkido, hiking, and cycling. If I could have afforded a personal trainer years ago I wish I had invested in one. A good personal trainer just knows what I should do.

Latest Discussions