ITF, and ITF off shoots- 13 years

Tracys Kenpo- 10 years

Tai Chi - 3 years

And I'm just now learning to get a handle on all of this!:confused:

Respects To All !

OP
M

Monkey King

Way of the Shaolin - Kung Fu not Wu Shu. See "Brand Spankin' New" Thread.

OP
S

Shinzu

shotokan karate - 7 years (1st dan)
trained with sensei toyotaro myazaki. head of the u.s shotokai

tang soo do - 3 years (1st dan)
trained under chong su kim of the pan-am TSD federation. currently train with the international tang soo do moo duk kwan association.

working toward 2nd dan.:asian:

OP
P

Pyrael

7 - Tae kwon do

just started ryuei ryu karatedo

...im only 14

OP
T

tigerstorm

I feel kind of strange and out of place but I just started learning.
I dont really know what to call it at this time since my Instructor is in the midst of introducing his own system and getting it completely into place, so I guess Ill say that name.
Ko Koro Kempo: beginner
also a few pieces here and there from my Instructors memory of other styles, flashbacks if you will.
Tigerstorm

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
:asian:

No disrespect intended to anyone's Instructor. For myself when first embarking upon the study of Nihon Goshin Aikido liitle did I know that it would be the beginning of a 26 year odyssey into the history of Martial Arts. And IMHO an art with a tangible thread to history and cullture, be it Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian, etc., is an important aspect to learning. I am extremely sceptical of newly found arts and styles unless they have a legitimate legacy and heritage. Since over time I have seen many, many "Take the Do[ugh]" schools and teachers that shamelessly have done nothing more than line their own pockets and satiate their own egos, and never cared one wit for the well-being of their students. One teacher I know has admitted to his senior students that he "acts" in front of a class to convince his students, and the parents watching him to convince them that he is sincere and cares about them. How nice! But, always remember: "Caveat emtor." Good luck in your odyssey.

:asian:

OP
K

KoshoBob

TKD - 6 years
Aikido - 1 year
Hapkido - 1 year
Kosho Kempo - 4 years
Just adding Iaijutsu and aikijujutsu

OP
K

KoshoBob

Eishin-Ryu Iaijutsu. Sensei Carl Long is in the area and I am studying under one of his students.

OP
B

Battousai

I started out back in middle school taking a very bad TKD school. I got all the way through to the last belt before black in a year. All that separated me from black was a 100 dollars for testing and the actual test itself.
At that point I was like, man I don't know anything.
After that I spent a couple of months looking around for something else. Watched a couple of classes here and there.
A friend at school lead me into this jujitsu class that was held in a local health club. Wow...
Everything else is history. That was almost 9 years ago now.
I'm an instructor at that jujitsu school now.
The school teaches traditional jujitsu, karate, and aiki-jutsu. From these staples the art branches off into the other realms of the samurai, iaijitsu (my favorite), kenjitsu. bojitsu, saijitsu (ok, my real favorite), and all sorts of other stuff taught traditionally within the samurai clans.
The school runs on a menkyo system, so right now I'm ranked as a Menkyo Ni (according to my instructor, the paperwork is japanese scrollwork looking stuff and takes some time coming, LOL).
So thats my experience.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Battousai

The school runs on a menkyo system, so right now I'm ranked as a Menkyo Ni (according to my instructor, the paperwork is japanese scrollwork looking stuff and takes some time coming, LOL).
So thats my experience.

Sounds like a modified or modernized menkyo system. As far as I remember, the traditional menkyo system ended with the menkyo kaiden. Once you got that, you were pretty much done. After that, all your training was up to you.

I think there were some early posts on the menkyo system. Run a search on the board. I'll do the same later to refresh my memory.

Cthulhu

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started boxiing at my dad's gym when i was 6 ( haven't stopped yet - I'm 26), when i was about 11 I tried a little judo (about 3 months), then quickly found Uichi-Ryu (2-1/2 years). Then buggered around with kickboxing for a little while.

Fencing for about 18 months, then started training JKD with a few playfully serious martial artists with mixed backgrounds - am still happily there.

i haven't worn a "belt" since i was 14. :p

Gotta say, its great to find a forum with such an amazing pool of experience and people willing to discuss MA openly without all that "my style is the best" noise.

:cheers:

Bao

OP
P

Pyrael

Originally posted by old_sempai

I am extremely sceptical of newly found arts and styles unless they have a legitimate legacy and heritage.

same here

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Baoquan

Gotta say, its great to find a forum with such an amazing pool of experience and people willing to discuss MA openly without all that "my style is the best" noise.

:cheers:

Bao

That's all Bob Hubbard, baby! Years ago, I was a regular on RMA. Got a bit sick of all the 'So-and-so style sux!' and 'My sensei can kick your sifu's ***', so I left RMA for several years. I got brave and tried it out again last year. If anything, it was worse.

Then I saw a post with a link to MartialTalk. Ain't been back to RMA since. Doubt I ever will.

Thanks again, Bob! You da man!

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions