Martial arts and your better half

K

Kroy

Do you find that your martial arts training affects your relationship? For many of us, our personal lives tend to revolve around our training (MA junkies) Tess and Sieg are lucky because they share the same passion but if you and your mate do not share that same passion how does it affect the both of you. Just curious.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
Do you find that your martial arts training affects your relationship? For many of us, our personal lives tend to revolve around our training (MA junkies) Tess and Sieg are lucky because they share the same passion but if you and your mate do not share that same passion how does it affect the both of you. Just curious.

It doesn't go well at all, believe me.

OP
S

Shiatsu

i HAVE DEFINATELY HAD TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO BOTH. mY WIFE USED TO GO WITH ME EVERY TIME, BUT NOW WE HAVE A THREE MONTH OLD, AND IT HAS ALL CHANGED.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I was fortunate that I was able to share my passion with my family. My daughter was into it for a while too. She eventually left, she got more interested in boys, dresses, and make up. Tess resisted at first, but once she tried it with an instructor she liked (me) then it kind of came together.

OP
R

RCastillo

Tons of support from my whole family. I'm one of the lucky ones.:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife trained with me in the kenpo school but hasn't joined in on the aikido yet. However, having trained before and loving it, she understands my addiction to NGA. She still brings the kids to their class and sometimes sits and watches the adult class. I attended a two day seminar with Sensei Robert MacEwen this week end and she came to watch the entire thing. I'm lucky, she not only understands but encourages as well. I don't know how many times I've been grumpy around the house and heard "Why don't you call (whoever) and go train for a while?" I'm always in a better mood after throwing someone around for a while (and being thrown).

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats a better half?? Its been a while you tend to forget these things...

:shrug:

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well- I am the Kenpo addict in our household. I tried to teach my husband when he showed interest and that lasted about 2 months. I told him he was doing good (which he was) and he should stick with it- if not with me, then at a studio and he decided it was too much dedication for him and too much to learn!! Guess some of us are more into it than others. I do hope to start my son in it when he is old enough though and hopefully he will have the same love for it as his Mommy!!

:asian: :karate:

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I dunno... Jen, my fiancee, and I have both been involved in various arts throughout our lives. Me in TKD and Kendo, her in Tai Chi. So we both enjoy it. But we both agreed it would be better not to take TKD together, since I got her excited about it. It's okay to train together now and again, but she and I both don't think we'll be able to give or take commands from each other in class together. We're just... well, goofy when we're together, and that doesn't work well in a martial arts class. The other side of it is that, unfortunately, my sparring style usually contrasts the difference between my high pain tolerance and my opponent's lack thereof. In other words, it ain't always fun to spar me, and she didn't wanna unless it's no contact, which I do outside of class. In my class I can and will be happy to go easy on students who aren't up to my level, but I prefer to go as close to all out as I can with those who CAN keep up, and I don't like the idea of fighting Jen in that state. I'm not entirely someone I like when I'm in fighting mode.

But mainly, we just didn't want to have to stifle our inside jokes when I'm in front of the class.

Latest Discussions