martial arts and life..

H

hand2handCombat

i found myself using ma everywhere i go and in everything i do. today i was playin basketball, and one of my friends was posting up on me, i found myself choking him.

another time, in the shower, the shampoo fell and i threw a push kick at it.

can u guys relate?

OP
A

artful dodger

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

i found myself using ma everywhere i go and in everything i do. today i was playin basketball, and one of my friends was posting up on me, i found myself choking him.

can u guys relate?

Yeah, I can relate although I probably didn't need the visual.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh....

I've done tai-chi in the mall while waiting for my GF to get done shopping....ya get funny looks. :)

(probably the funniest from those who know what I'm doing, but are fighting the urge to 'fix' my technique.) :D

Have used finger thrusts to open boxes, kicks to close car doors, a roof-block to deflect a falling cardboard box...

Sometimes instinct kicks in.

OP
G

GouRonin

can u guys relate?

No. You're just a freak. Sorry about your luck.
:shrug:

OP
H

hand2handCombat

im a freak? u didnt have to respond to the post.

<< SNIP >> << Mod Note: Please watch the language >>

OP
W

Wertle

I've found practicing breakfalls particularly useful, especially when tripping in the hall with an arm full of books, and rolling out of it to rescue my face. Then walking on like nothing ever happened in the first place ¬_¬

OP
F

fissure

I've done tai-chi in the mall while waiting for my GF to get done shopping....ya get funny looks.
Tech. practice in everyday life ,I understand.Choking our my friends for no reason?That the part I (and apparently GouRonin) don't get!

OP
H

Hansson

can u guys relate?

Well, just don't use your mad grappling skills when your buddy drops the schampoo in the shower.:eek:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Hansson
Well, just don't use your mad grappling skills when your buddy drops the schampoo in the shower.:eek:

Dood...you are officially the KING OF THE DISCUSSION BOARD today. I laughed so hard I actually fell off my chair. KUDOS!
:D

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by fissure
Tech. practice in everyday life ,I understand.Choking our my friends for no reason?That the part I (and apparently GouRonin) don't get!

Well, if I am attacked by shampoo bottles in my shower I hope he'll accept my call because I won't know what to do.
:rolleyes:

Anyway, I was joking. I have no clue if you're a freak or not. How many toes do you have?
:confused:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm..... I had someone accidentally push me down a flight of stairs in city hall. I tucked, rolled, and landed on my feet in a neutral bow stance. The guy's mouth was hanging open. I just kind of shrugged, picked up my briefcase, and walked away. I was heading downstairs anyway. (and if I had to repeat that feat, i'd probably fall flat on my face. it was mostly luck.)

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

If you mean that you were checked a little too hard in the game and lost your temper enough to get violent with a friend, I seriously think you need some kind of help. This has happened to me in basketball as well as football, and I just shined it on rather then retaliate with violence which is a very immature thing to do.

OP
M

Master of Blades

I do find myself practicing in front of the mirror and practicing angles and strikes with knifes and pencils. But choking my freinds playing basketball............not unless its MY rules :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um...yah, I would say choking my friend would result in him not being my friend anymore. Instinct like catching your car door with a shin kick before it hits the car next to you, or catching the glass vase with your push kick before it hits the floor, are one thing. But loosing control and chocking someone would not quite fit into the instinct category, that would be controling anger, and you would need to get a handle on it, before it ruins you.

7sm

OP
F

fissure

But loosing control and chocking someone would not quite fit into the instinct category, that would be controling anger, and you would need to get a handle on it, before it ruins you.
My sentiments exactly!

OP
H

hand2handCombat

i didnt really choke him, i didnt even get mad. how it happend: he was dribblin face to face with me, then he tured around and posted up, pushing his back on me, i fell back a little and grabbed his neck and choked him for a split second and let go.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, cool, I hear ya. Its funny, I find myself, most the time when my hands are full, useing kicks and blance to do various things! I'll close the refigerator with a reverse kick while getting a plate out of the top cubbard. weird stuff like that!

7sm

OP
F

fissure

i didnt really choke him, i didnt even get mad. how it happend: he was dribblin face to face with me, then he tured around and posted up, pushing his back on me, i fell back a little and grabbed his neck and choked him for a split second and let go.
You should have stated it this way to begin with - it would have saved you from a lot of flack!
Sounds like you lost your balance and instinctively grabbed something ( his neck!) to regain it.
Thats a whole different scenario!:EG:

Latest Discussions