martial artist or fighter?

OP
K

kenposcum

Originally posted by theneuhauser

interesting discussion. id like to know about this term everyone uses- "streetfighter". is there some secret breed of people running around in my alley fighting eachother all the time?

or is a street fighter just your average thug thats been in a handful of fights and knows what survival means?

this term is beginning to get glorified by alot of people and to me, a guy that was raised on the streets in chicago, il, i havent seen one of these so called magical "streetfighters" yet.

I always like to say, "Everyone wants to be a streetfighter, no one wants to fight in the streets." I'm guessing "streetfighter" just sounds cool, so everyone tries to use that term to describe themselves, or to piss on "partial artists."
I also have yet to meet a mythical "streetfighter." I'm guessing they're like leprauchauns, only if you catch one he tests your art and if you pass then you get to be a magic streetfighter too.Ah, people are so stupid sometimes. :asian:

OP
B

bob919

i would describe a streetfigter as someone who can fight well on the street i have seen some martial artist with exceppent skills but as soon as they are hit they turn to haymakers they seem to lose all there skills

OP
S

seekeroftruth

IMHO a streetfighter is someone who has fight time without rules. They realize that there are no certain situations in fighting and that anything can happen in the blink of an eye! Just my two cents.

OP
B

bob919

i agree if i was fighting a couple of people i would never eye jab unless i had to butif there was 4+ i would because otherwise i probably wouldn't survive

OP
T

theneuhauser

I also have yet to meet a mythical "streetfighter." I'm guessing they're like leprauchauns, only if you catch one he tests your art and if you pass then you get to be a magic streetfighter too.Ah, people are so stupid sometimes.

omg that was so funny!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kenposcum, you just made my day at work a little bit more tolerable, thaks!

OP
M

MNKaliGroupRayW

Good posts!

:soapbox: About "Streetfighters"

The definition is elusive because it is a slang term. The closest Websters definition is for "streetwise".
Main Entry: street·wise
Pronunciation: -"wIz
Function: adjective
Date: 1965
: possessing the skills and attitudes necessary to survive in an often violent urban environment

Typically I refer to someone as a streetfighter, if they if they have engaged in a fight outside of a sporting environment, no-rules, anything goes. Most of these situations are serious if motivated by criminal motives, but adolecent or young adult violence can vary in its severity to the combatants based on the morries and cultural norms of the combatants. Luckily for most of us the prospect of physical violence in our lives is rare and usually avoidable. But there are those whose lifestyle or socio-economic status lends itself to the likelyhood of incidents of violence. Those whose lifestyles contain violence or the threat of violence often practice or train for it, whether it be in a gym, club, school, or dojo; or in a gang, jail or prison.

For the most part, I can think of 6 primary things will determine the outcome of a fight.

1 Experience: Novice student, average peace loving person; intermediate or casual training, devoted training, limited sporting bouts, full contact bouts, NHB/MMA bouts, street encounters etc.

2 Physical ability: speed, size, weight, strength, endurance, perception, etc.

3 Determination: avoiding, accepting, controlling or domination a situation. Is it out of frustration, anger, ego/bragging rights, self preservation, derangement, or for the next crack fix)

4 Training: Skills boys and girls, you might not be born strong and fast, but you can improve on what you have! Training in one "range" (boxing, kicking, grappling, weapons etc) or training in all ranges. Training for rules or no rules. Training realistically vs. simulation.

5 Environment/Circumstances: Grass or cement, wet or dry, ice or sand, kicking with shoes on, grappling on pavement, crowded room/elevator, surprise/ambush/sucker-punch, #of assailents vs. # of potential victems (surrounded or loved ones nearby either way it effects ability to retreat or flee.

7 Chance: Luck, devine intervention, fate or mojo can work for or against you!

A streetfighter can excell in any of these areas, or be just as deficient as anyone else! Unfortunately the ones that deal with it in their daily lives, treat it very seriously and realistically. The habitual predators that may use physical violence to get the things they want or need will train deligently for their physical attributes, work on their training and use every dirty trick they can use.

I grew up poor, but was lucky enough to improve my position in life through education and hard work. But I grew up in an "ethnically balanced" urban city neighborhood half way between Chicago and Detroit. I have been in a few fights in my time, and seen my share of many more. My little brother, in his early twenties, spent six months in jail, he learned right away that you had to work out every day, because the real problem guys were big, bad and mean! He came out 20 lbs heavier, with big arms and a chipped tooth!

The one thing I have learned is trouble is best avoided. Since life is unpredictable it is a good idea to prepare for trouble before it happens. If you train, don't have false ideas about your abilities, know you limitations by testing them. NOT everybody needs to be a NHB/MMA/Streetfighting machine, because there is always somebody bigger, badder and meaner. But the more you realistically train the the better your chances will be should the need arise. I hope to balance my training with a healthy lifestyle that will continue to provide me with growth and challange, not just butt kicking skills.

Train so you enjoy what you do, but if self defense is a serious concern for you, be sure to pursue it seriously and with an open mind. Don't take one master, sifu, or sensei's word for what works. Look at many sources of training and explore them for yourself! You will learn what works and what doesn't if you are truely objective and skeptical.

Good Luck!

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A young man joined our school about 3 years back and he faught like a tiger the first time he was on the mat. All I could think was "this kid is gonna be good once he learns karate" Man! was I surprised and shocked when I watch him a few weeks later. He was all messed up. Gone was his confidence and just do it attitude that he had earlier. It was several years later before all his skills returned. Now he is has been sharpend and refined with martial arts, and can easily hold his own.

OP
S

Senfeng

Originally posted by don bohrer

A young man joined our school about 3 years back and he faught like a tiger the first time he was on the mat. All I could think was "this kid is gonna be good once he learns karate" Man! was I surprised and shocked when I watch him a few weeks later. He was all messed up. Gone was his confidence and just do it attitude that he had earlier. It was several years later before all his skills returned. Now he is has been sharpend and refined with martial arts, and can easily hold his own.
I was the same way when I first joined TKD. I went from having a lot of experience fighting after school to being the new kid. I started backing off from normal aggressive nature because I was constantly being corrected. It took me a while before I could "feel" what the art was about.

I recently joined a gung fu school and I like the fact that they work with a person's natural instincts (for the most part). I haven't taking a martial art in over 10 years, but this one "feel's" very natural. I was able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Latest Discussions