which is better Bruce Lee punch or kick?

which is better Bruce Lee kicks or punches?

• kicks

• punches

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

SolidTiger

The move Bruce Lee does the fastest and strongest to me
is the back fist. So I think his punches is better then his kicks.

Thank you

SolidTiger

OP
S

sweeper

do you mean on the screen or in a fight?

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt, JKD side kick (coupled with the forward blast footwork) is the MOST powerful strike that can kick thru most defence.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dont Know it seems to me Bruce was concerned
on what put the other guy on his but
But to choose 1 would be his Punces

:confused: His kickes were fast to
He was complete
& Never Saticefied

OP
J

JDenz

I have to say his punches he was so fast =-)

OP
B

bob919

bruce lee said the the fighter with the best punches would win a fight

OP
Y

yin_yang75

The one inch punch was his trade mark. Fast, powerful and launched from his toes thru his hips-- it was devastating.

The guy was so fast I don't know that it would matter if you was on the recieving end, but I vote for the punch.

OP
J

JDenz

Definitly much of the Tao was about punching as well

OP
A

A Kenpo Student

I think alot of whether Bruce punched or kicked depended on what his opponent did, what kind of opening he had. I thought it was a fact that a kick had more force than a punch, but a kick is not always the right hit. It's a hard one to call.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I recently saw a documentary on Bruce Lee and from what was presented, IMO it was his kicks, but, it's very close between the two. He was just so quick and fluid when he unloaded with his kicks. And his flexability and range was mind boggling.:erg:

However, they also showed a clip of Bruce demonstrating his punching ability at some kind of MA seminar or tourney. It was the one were his opponent was standing just a few inches in front of Bruce. Bruce proceeded to unleash a punch to the guy's chest, and just completely flattened him. The guy ended up falling over a chair, It was awesome! :eek:

Irrespective of which strike you feel was his best, he was so well versed in both his punching and kicking ability. It's still impressive watching his overall total skills almost 30 years after his death...

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir, the punch you described would be Bruce Lee's famous 1 inch punch.

A lot of people have learned to deliver that. But most of them are just "pushing" instead of "punching" . Punch has destruction, push has none.

Bruce Lee's side kick delivered with forward blast (footwork) is by far the most power strike. Such kick can almost kick through all kind of defence. It is not invincible as you can evade it.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
Sir, the punch you described would be Bruce Lee's famous 1 inch punch.

A lot of people have learned to deliver that. But most of them are just "pushing" instead of "punching" . Punch has destruction, push has none.

Bruce Lee's side kick delivered with forward blast (footwork) is by far the most power strike. Such kick can almost kick through all kind of defence. It is not invincible as you can evade it.

The manner in which it was shown, that punch was impressive...

In any event, Mr. KennethKu, from your post it apears to me that would you agree that Bruce Lee's best asset was his kicking skills, regardless of the his opponent having the ability to evade such kicks, no? :asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No Sir, I was only stating that his kicks were more powerful, in reference to the point of this thread. In reality it doesn't really matter which is better. The weapon that manages to deliver the effective strike is what counts in that particular combat situation. Whether your hands are stronger than your legs or the other way around, is meaningless. You could have won by headbutting, for example.

This thread is just for discussion purpose.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will agree with Mr. KennethKu on this point, as I assume any logical person would, that in an illogical situation such as a brawl, it doesn't really matter which is better foot, fist or head strike. Whichever of these strikes delivers the most effective destruction and terminates the conflict in your favor is what counts in the end. But, these posts digress from the original question posed in this thread regarding Bruce Lee's best attribute so I'll leave it at that... :asian:

OP
B

bob919

kicks are powerful but you lose balance with them, try high kicks on a good wrestler or jiujutsu practitioner and you will know what i mean but short leg kicks are fast snappy and do not compromise balance much plus they slow the opponent down
bruce lee would almost never use high kicks in real fights because he thought punches were better for the upper body and he was probably right

OP
M

Mormegil

Sifu Dan Inosanto stated that it should be about 4-5 punches for every kick thrown. I'm pretty sure he ascribed this to Sijo Lee. I could be wrong.

Kind of like, you enter with a kick, and finish with punches.

OP
J

jefroman

I certainly believe that his side kick was much more powerful than his punches(obviously), but he could also kick much faster than the average person could punch. On several occasions he side-kicked 300 pound punching bags and made them hit the ceiling!:eek:
His punching speed and power wasn't too shabby either, or course.

Jeff

OP
J

JDenz

I think that we are getting a little bit off topic here. I think some of us get into debating about which is beter punching or kicking. There is no right answer. It depends on the situation like all things. from eveything that I have sen of Bruce I think that his hand tecs are the best. they were just to fast and accurate. From all that I read about him he had always believed in his punching but his views over kicking kept changing, so I would have to say his punches were his best asset.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, Bruces hands were faster than his feet. Of course his feet were more powerful than his hands.

The question was which is better, his hands or feet?

His "original" primary training made great use of the hands and I personall think that his hands were more realisically effective and that would make them better!:asian:

Latest Discussions