Martial artist getting the extra squeeze by a judge for being a Martial artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fellow student who was also a cop told me that I could get in big trouble if I choked someone out on the street, even if they didn't die, because of my training background. I'm not sure how true that is, but I always viewed that as pretty messed up.

And despite the legal risk, you better believe I'm choking someone out if I can.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does being a martial artist put you at a disadvantage in court?

And sometimes it sort of does.

Aussie UFC fighter ‘Combat Wombat’ jailed after one-punch hit
its hard to argue when he plead guilty, of course he will be found guilty , ive no idea if the,sentance is unduly hard, it does sound quite reasonable

but there seems no worth while self defence argument to be made, he over powered him, removed him from the club and then gave him a punishment knock, almost certainly on cctv ?, not smart couldnt he have accidently banged his head on the door on the way out

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fellow student who was also a cop told me that I could get in big trouble if I choked someone out on the street, even if they didn't die, because of my training background. I'm not sure how true that is, but I always viewed that as pretty messed up.

And despite the legal risk, you better believe I'm choking someone out if I can.
im aways reluctant to take legal adivice off cops to be honest, when he says big trouble,, he may mean the police will arrest you, thats not at all the same as saying youl get convicted, which will clearly turn on the facts of the particular case

its common for the police here to ask" have you been in trouble with the police" like thats a thing, yes ive had my fair share of trouble from the police, ive not however been in " trouble" with the courts,and thats the important thing

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am a smaller guy. When I was LEO I was sort of known for working my way around a perp and jumping on their back and riding them down with a choke. I clearly stated that in several court cases and never got in any trouble or even had any blowback. A Lot of it is how you build your defense leading up to such a statement though.

D

Deleted member 39746

This reminds me of the legal **** about "if you knock someone out whos attacking you, you are liable for what happens next" Now i forget the legal rebuttal to that, but i know its a pretty simple legal rebuttal.

I dont think you are lible for anything like that happening in legitimate self defence because they would have instigated with you. that stance is effectively stating "dont defend yourself". (which is stupid as you would most of the time, love all to any consiqences after it)

Oh, off topic. I like how police forces in the U.S list the laws of the state/county or what ever on their websites. Then they have the legal disclaimer like "this doesnt count as legal advice". I mean, is it or isnt it the laws for the state/county? Are they or arent they in power? That makes me laugh a bit.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This reminds me of the legal **** about "if you knock someone out whos attacking you, you are liable for what happens next" Now i forget the legal rebuttal to that, but i know its a pretty simple legal rebuttal.

I dont think you are lible for anything like that happening in legitimate self defence because they would have instigated with you. that stance is effectively stating "dont defend yourself". (which is stupid as you would most of the time, love all to any consiqences after it)

Oh, off topic. I like how police forces in the U.S list the laws of the state/county or what ever on their websites. Then they have the legal disclaimer like "this doesnt count as legal advice". I mean, is it or isnt it the laws for the state/county? Are they or arent they in power? That makes me laugh a bit.
in an adversarial system like we have in this country and they have in most of the states

then the polices job is to secure convictions, they are not at all interested in if that happens to be fair or not.

do they think they have enough evidence ? yes, then you will be charged

if you have an arguable legal defence, then you will have to argue it in court, the police are seldom interested in shades of grey, consequently you need to be very very careful what you say,' loose lips cost ships''

such advice as they do give tends to be on the simplistic side and completely avoid, suggesting that there are shades of grey or just ignore statutory defences all together, they are not going to help you to get off or encourage you to argue the toss with the police on the ground, who are telling you you must or can not do something, based on info provided by a police web site, wheres the sense in that ? they just want people to do as they are told regardless of if they have a legal obligation or not

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I am too. And I can do it with complete freedom! Check this out...

So...I work as an Airport cop. I've been out of work for six months due to covid, but I'm still a cop there. Back in Boston we haven't been able to use a rear naked choke since Christ was a kid. Unless, of course, we've elevated to deadly force on a Use of Force Continuum.

But here, working for a foolish security company who has the contract with the state to provide Police Officers to the airport, we can use a rear naked choke with impunity. They even gave us paper work, on company letterhead no less, telling us so - and showing diagrams of what a rear naked choke is. We even had to sign for them.

I was stunned when they gave out that paperwork this past February. We all looked at each other and did the Groucho eyebrows.
We were all "Aloha and have a nice nap."

As for off duty, I'll choke out anyone if the need and opportunity arises. Legally easier, and safer, than striking them, that's for sure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
in an adversarial system like we have in this country and they have in most of the states

then the polices job is to secure convictions, they are not at all interested in if that happens to be fair or not.

do they think they have enough evidence ? yes, then you will be charged

if you have an arguable legal defence, then you will have to argue it in court, the police are seldom interested in shades of grey, consequently you need to be very very careful what you say,' loose lips cost ships''

such advice as they do give tends to be on the simplistic side and completely avoid, suggesting that there are shades of grey or just ignore statutory defences all together, they are not going to help you to get off or encourage you to argue the toss with the police on the ground, who are telling you you must or can not do something, based on info provided by a police web site, wheres the sense in that ? they just want people to do as they are told regardless of if they have a legal obligation or not
Nail on the head.
"Loose lips Sinks ships".

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude had total control of the situation, was controlling the guy with one hand, the story reported. Once away from everyone else, THEN he levels him?

No "defense" involved... he was a trained fighter, and knew, or should have known, what he was about to do was extremely likely to cause major trauma to what was, to him at that time due to the other guy's intoxication a defense-less person.

IMO -- Bouncer with "I'm a bouncer syndrome." I knew lots of these guys back in the day, and to a man, they all had self-esteem problems of their own they were trying, unsuccessfully, to deal with.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am too. And I can do it with complete freedom! Check this out...

So...I work as an Airport cop. I've been out of work for six months due to covid, but I'm still a cop there. Back in Boston we haven't been able to use a rear naked choke since Christ was a kid. Unless, of course, we've elevated to deadly force on a Use of Force Continuum.

But here, working for a foolish security company who has the contract with the state to provide Police Officers to the airport, we can use a rear naked choke with impunity. They even gave us paper work, on company letterhead no less, telling us so - and showing diagrams of what a rear naked choke is. We even had to sign for them.

I was stunned when they gave out that paperwork this past February. We all looked at each other and did the Groucho eyebrows.
We were all "Aloha and have a nice nap."

As for off duty, I'll choke out anyone if the need and opportunity arises. Legally easier, and safer, than striking them, that's for sure.
Good to know, I'll remember this if I ever have issues with aggressive airport security.

It is best to put security or a cop down hard, and let the courts deal with it. At least in this day and age of police violence upon citizens.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll remember this if I ever have issues with aggressive airport security.

It is best to put security or a cop down hard, and let the courts deal with it. At least in this day and age of police violence upon citizens.
Please tell me this was supposed to be a joke. Regardless, it was not appropriate at all.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Normally, that would have been the stupidest thing I've read all week, but the stupid has been flowing swift here on MT lately so you only get 3rd Place.

Don't feel too bad. It's still Bronze.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normally, that would have been the stupidest thing I've read all week, but the stupid has been flowing swift here on MT lately so you only get 3rd Place.

Don't feel too bad. It's still Bronze.
It would be in first place for me; but it is just the middle of the week.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

the problem is your always going to be out numbered, they are aways goibg to get hold of you eventually and they are always going to get you in a cctv black spot, thats if they even care and dont just beat you on the spot,

how ever overly aggresive they are beibg they will always be covertly more aggesive if youve just banjoed one of their mates

last time i had a roll with the police, i was doing fine with two of them, when i third joined in it went downhill fast

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You wouldn't have to worry about it here, all the officers are gentleman. Honestly.

As for the rest of what you say, I'm kind of at a loss for words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions