Martial art for guy with hips FAI

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 43. I was training Judo a bit some years ago. However I wasnt great a it ( started late). I want to train something still cause I like to get sweet and doms :) I teally like lifting weights however its now some kind of boring. But i have A problem with hips( hips clicking and pain when kicking and making side split) I made x Ray and have a bit cam pinger and bad oriented thigh bone in hip sockets.i can do however front kick without amy pain. I can do some kind selfthought of lowkick and side kick to my belt hight.

Is there any MA that doesnt requiere high side kicking? And high kicking and side hips stretching ? Except aikido and judo ?
Maybe I ll return to judo but now I want to train some.more kick/strike MA.

OP
K

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank You for answers!

I was thinking of Wing chun but i saw and read that is completely not worth time. So I m in doubt about Wing Chun.
And does Wing chun classes include some sparring? Even light contact? And Does it really long time to master MA? To know something you need to train for years?

Kickboxing and MT can be interesting if I can get away without side splits and stretching. Maybe I' ll try it but i m a bit worried about that will ache after classes.
Is there maybe other traditional MA with less stretching and hip stretch demanding cause I think I like some aspect of tradition and spirit healing in MA like for example in kung fu as far as I know.Shaolin monks are so stoic and interesting People to me for example.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank You for answers!

I was thinking of Wing chun but i saw and read that is completely not worth time.
In what regard? An ‘effective’ MA/ self-defence? None of them are. It’s a lie we tell ourselves like ‘size doesn't matter‘ or ‘women don't really care about looks’!
So I m in doubt about Wing Chun.
And does Wing chun classes include some sparring?
No. They play a ‘game’ called ‘sticky hands‘.
Even light contact?
No.
And Does it really long time to master MA?
67.957 years
To know something you need to train for years?
67.956 years.
Kickboxing and MT can be interesting if I can get away without side splits and stretching. Maybe I' ll try it but i m a bit worried about that will ache after classes.
It sounds like kickboxing/MT would be perfect for you. In fact they need people like you.
Is there maybe other traditional MA with less stretching and hip stretch demanding cause I think I like some aspect of tradition and spirit healing in MA like for example in kung fu as far as I know.Shaolin monks are so stoic and interesting People to me for example.
We don’t really know much about your abilities, motivations and desires so the best advice is you should attend classes in Karate, ’Kung Fu’, kick boxing/MT etc and then start thinking about which might suit you best within your physical and time limits.

OP
K

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
I like mental aspect of MA so karate , Kung fu(hardening in horse stance etc) etc are appealing to me . I thought also about lighter maybe forms of karate more focused on sweeps and strikes? And less on highkicks? Maybe wado ryu?

I like savate, kungfu as far as I watch them in lessons on YT but i lack those mobility and ROM in hips.
I didnt have rehab for my hips.

Time is no big deal for me, i can attand at classes 2/3 times per week.
I would try those MA classes one by one but i thought maybe someone can help me not to spare time on it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any martial art that requires high side kicks. Or high any kicks. Yes, high kicks are flashy, fun, and shown off, but they're not required.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like mental aspect of MA so karate , Kung fu(hardening in horse stance etc) etc are appealing to me . I thought also about lighter maybe forms of karate more focused on sweeps and strikes? And less on highkicks? Maybe wado ryu?
I’m a Wado Ryu 3rd Dan and skilful kicking is of great importance in this style.
Time is no big deal for me, i can attand at classes 2/3 times per week.
Oh or will take you 73.926 years to attain mastery in that case.

A Buddhist monk approached his teacher and asked the Zen Master, “If I meditate very diligently, how long will it take for me to become enlightened?”

The Master thought for a moment, and then replied, “Ten years.”

The student then said, “But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast. How long then?”

The Master replied, “Well, then it will take twenty years.”

“But if I really, really work at it. How long then?” persisted the student.

“Thirty years,” said the Master.

“But I don’t understand,” said the disappointed student. “Each time I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?”

The Master replied, “When you have one eye on the goal, you can only have one eye on the path.”
I would try those MA classes one by one but i thought maybe someone can help me not to spare time on it.
One of the first things you’ll learn in your martial arts journey is that there are no short cuts. It’s a generally well-defined process you simply have to go through.

Your original question is somewhat like asking, “What kind of person should I have a long term relationship with?” Do you expect us to say, “Try a blonde with with big bazoobies”, or “Brunettes are easier to deal with, but make sure they have a peachy bum.” No, you go out there and dip your toe in the ocean of dating and find what suits you. You might be surprised to find out it’s a big, hairy greasy biker man who’s into quantum mechanics and bear wrestling (and a redhead)!

Do your homework and it will pay dividends.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not aware of any martial art that requires high side kicks. Or high any kicks. Yes, high kicks are flashy, fun, and shown off, but they're not required.
Also may have to define what constitutes calling a kick a high kick. axe kick, headshot, chest, anything higher than the waist?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also may have to define what constitutes calling a kick a high kick. axe kick, headshot, chest, anything higher than the waist?
Fair enough. I'd consider it reasonable to divide kicks into three ranges. There will, naturally, be some overlap.
Low kicks - Aimed primarily at the legs. Say, anything from the hips down.
Mid kicks - Primarily the torso. Anything from groin to the top of the chest.
High kicks - Basically the neck and head.

As I said, there's overlap in those definitions, but the specific people involved will also be a factor.
I'm 6'1". If my opponent is 5'1". kicking them in the head is not a particularly high kick. Likewise, for them to kick me in the sternum probably IS a high kick.
And of course, kicking them in the head isn't necessarily a high kick. You can always kick them in the knee first and bring their head down lower...

Bottom line, as far as the OP is concerned, is that even arts like TKD, which are associated with high kicks, don't mandate them. I've personally awarded a 1st Dan to a woman in her 70's. She certainly was not expected to kick her opponents in the head.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your original question is somewhat like asking, “What kind of person should I have a long term relationship with?” Do you expect us to say, “Try a blonde with with big bazoobies”, or “Brunettes are easier to deal with, but make sure they have a peachy bum.” No, you go out there and dip your toe in the ocean of dating and find what suits you. You might be surprised to find out it’s a big, hairy greasy biker man who’s into quantum mechanics and bear wrestling (and a redhead)!

Do your homework and it will pay dividends.
Thank you for the best laugh of the day Gyakuto!

OP
K

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
Haha yes , maybe I wanted to much from some of You haha

I get that MA is not Easy path and I agree with that.
Maybe my demands were too sophisticated.

I can get it better defined what I Focus on:
- no round house kicking above belts( can be front high kick though and side kick on belt - i m pivoting so my *** is directed on goal ) i have more ROM when in frog position than standing straright and side split - Then Sharp pain in outer hip. So not top much pivoting and internal movement of thigh. Evan low kicks are some kind of exhausting on my hips
- light sparing,
- strike/kick/sweep etc

Ps. Sorry for my English btw, I am from Poland.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
FMA (eskrima,arnis,Kali) would be right up your alley. %70 upper body, some low kicking. Super footwork and angling. Never boring.

OP
K

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but as far as I see: FMA ( eskrima etc) knifes etc are not interesting for me. I used to attand at Aikido and those sticks were totally not my type....

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your English is better than my Polish.
D4BDC201-34C8-4624-8B16-5C16E7ABA7E7.jpeg

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but as far as I see: FMA ( eskrima etc) knifes etc are not interesting for me. I used to attand at Aikido and those sticks were totally not my type....
Perhaps try an art and omit the movement you’re unable to do. Substitute roundhouse kicks for front kicks etc. I’m sure most teachers will happily accommodate you.

Latest Discussions