Man kills deer in Hand to Hand combat

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/deerly_departed

For 40 exhausting minutes, Wayne Goldsberry battled a buck with his bare hands in his daughter's bedroom.

Goldsberry finally subdued the five-point whitetail deer that crashed through a bedroom window at his daughter's home Friday. When it was over, blood splattered the walls and the deer lay dead on the bedroom floor, its neck broken.

OP
rutherford

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, deer in confined spaces basically just bash themselves off of stuff until they're dead. They panic, break their legs, and all kinds of craziness.

Mind you, I've never had to fight a deer.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe the guy just wanted to fight it so he could say he killed a 1500 pound animal with his bare hands.

(sounds like something I'd do)

OP
rutherford

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, they're in about the same weight class.

But deer don't wear gloves on the hooves.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
Maybe the guy just wanted to fight it so he could say he killed a 1500 pound animal with his bare hands.

(sounds like something I'd do)
I seriously doubt it was over 200 lbs, but still a very dangerous animal. They do panic when trapped, but I would have just closed the door to the room and called the police. That's why you have insurance. Hats off to the guy for being able to kill it, but he took a big risk.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I shot an 8 point buck a few years back and it didn’t weigh more than 130-150lbs. But I will admit if you were to try and go, toe to toe with a deer that size you better pack a lunch. I just wonder why the guy didn’t shoot the thing, or throw a blanket over it and drag it outside?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
Like I said, he wanted war stories.
I gotta agree. I can just see him at the door with a big grin on his face, crunchin' an empty beer can and yellin' "Hey, ya'll! Watch this!"...now, had that been a bull moose it would have come out a little differently.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We used to have a pet deer for a few weeks. It was funny, bounding over our couch or running onto the linoleum where it could slide like it was ice. Fun pet...Hey, this is West Virginia, dude!

My next door neighbor beat a brown bear to death with a tree branch. ... Normal stuff around here.

...aah, the traditional arts live on!

T

twayman

Navarre said:
We used to have a pet deer for a few weeks. It was funny, bounding over our couch or running onto the linoleum where it could slide like it was ice. Fun pet...Hey, this is West Virginia, dude!

My next door neighbor beat a brown bear to death with a tree branch. ... Normal stuff around here.

...aah, the traditional arts live on!

Damn, and all I have is gangs, crime and muder around here.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
twayman said:
Damn, and all I have is gangs, crime and murder around here.

Did I mention the brown bear was wearing a red bandana and called himself "Mo-Smokey-G"?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Navarre said:

probably actually a black bear in brown coloration. HUGE difference in size between a black bear and a brown bear, and I don't think brown bears live in your neck of the woods.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Watch, next thing you know some animal rights guy is gonna sue him for cruelty to animals or something. LOL.

:deadhorse

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
probably actually a black bear in brown coloration. HUGE difference in size between a black bear and a brown bear, and I don't think brown bears live in your neck of the woods.

I got to agree, Brown bears are usually 8-10 feet tall and weigh in at 1500 lbs or so...

Hitting them with a stick would annoy them at best.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a deer head to mount on the wall.

"How did I bag that one? Well, that's an interesting story, son..."

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

You're absolutely right. And I even knew the difference.

I was pounding out that post quickly and wasn't thinking about it. I made the mistake because I was remembering it from when I was a kid and the guy referred to it as a brown bear.

The bear was actually brown...so were the pieces of wood stuck in it...but technically you're right. The way I figure it, if some yokel has the gumption to beat a bear with a tree he can call it anything he wants!