MA over 35 and workouts

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, i'm over 35( 40 really) just started and am looking for opinions on workout routines (stretching etc...)and what kind of results to expect and time frame for people like me .i know everyone is different and i am looking for ballpark results.Right now i find i am not real flexible obviously.but when i started last month i couldn't touch my toes and i've accomplished that now .sidesplits ?is that realistic. frontsplits?Don't need to get to the splits but it would be nice.anyone out there who started this late and achieved good flexability and how? :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexibility takes time, as in years. We are not as elastic as kids. ;) Actually putting alot of time into stretching especially after a workout on a consistent basis is the best. Yoga also helps with flexibility. I find that men usually are less flexible so probablly need to devote more time. We woman on the other hand, have to do more upper body. I started TKD at 47 so anything is possible. Check out the back threads in the TKD section, alot of good information about workouts and stretching there. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've read several books and articles on the topic. Though I've found the information helpful, my best results have just been from repitition of the kicks I'm trying to improve on. Books such as Stretching Scientifically are popular and several threads here are helpful. I would recommend you check out both thoroughly.

Two things to keep in mind regardless of what direction you take. One, keep yourself hydrated and Two, Don't over do it. Trying to accomplish too much, too fast will send you in the opposite direction. Been there.

On the same topic, but a totally different train of thought. Our art (or at least the "popular" high kicking stuff) can be difficult without flexibility, but for the most part, isn't any more necessary than any other art. We have many older students that are not as flexible as they used to be, but are still effective practitioners. My point is, though it's nice, don't get too caught up in it. If you never get to the level you want, doesn't mean you have to be any less effective. It's far more important to know what you can and cannot do and work with it than to be able to kick a man off a horse. lol.

Good luck!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started at 24, but I was NOT flexible. It took me two and a half years to do a split. But watch out for other activities you might do. I started snowboarding. Eventhough I stretch before and after, I lost flexibility in MA. In snowboarding, we keep our knees bent, and our butts in. That's how we ride. We really don't have to be flexible. So it kind of hindered MA for me. But worth it ;) For me, anyways.

But like Gemini said, you don't have to kick high to be effective. I still have strong kicks. I just can't kick as high. Oh well. I rather kick like a mule than kick high.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

IMO you've got some pretty good advice so far.

I'll definitely agree with the recommendation about the Kurz book (Stretching Scientifically). It's probably the only book on stretching you'll ever need. It contains particularly useful info for martial artists about when and how to incorporate stretching into your workouts and training.

Being able to do a front or side split is not really that good an indicator of how high or how well one can kick. The best kickers I've ever seen, in terms of technique, power and height, couldn't do either split. On the other hand, I've seen people who could drop easily into either split, but their kicking was not that good.

Best to practice kicking if you want to be a good kicker. Stretching is only part of the answer.

Good luck... Just work at your own pace, and recognize your limits. And be patient. You will get more flexible over time.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get the book on stretching and then just practice. 42 here and I have to add, don't forget the Advil. Just for those mornings where you might have overdid it a bit the night before in class, and your legs are reminding you that they really are not in as good of shape as your brain thinks they are yet. Usually when you are paired up with some of the 20's crowd and don't want to fit the "old guy" image.

OP
Greg King

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I've read several books and articles on the topic. Though I've found the information helpful, my best results have just been from repitition of the kicks I'm trying to improve on. Books such as Stretching Scientifically are popular and several threads here are helpful. I would recommend you check out both thoroughly.

I bought the book and i have started my routine i'll keep you updated on my progress:)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
howard said:
Hi Greg,
Being able to do a front or side split is not really that good an indicator of how high or how well one can kick. The best kickers I've ever seen, in terms of technique, power and height, couldn't do either split. On the other hand, I've seen people who could drop easily into either split, but their kicking was not that good.

Best to practice kicking if you want to be a good kicker. Stretching is only part of the answer.

As others have said, high kicking is not the end all, but in TKD it is a must as it is very difficult to kick to head level for the required breaks without being able to kick high. I don't know what your required breaks will be though or even if you have to, as some masters don't require breaks until black. Sudden awakening though.

As far as those that can split and were not good kickers, that is true. My daughter could split well but wasn't a great high kicker/breaker. Flexibility is just half of the equation, strength training the legs is the other half. My front kick is to head level from quad work. I do a hundred double side kicks-low high in order for my kick to go up, but I am not quite down in splits-either front and side. If I had that further flexibility, it would allow me to go higher more easily without fighting that pull. And then I think about the thread where Kembudo Kempoka talks about what we are doing to our hips in kicking high. I have followed that Kurz book too. Go slowly... TW

OP
Greg King

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
As others have said, high kicking is not the end all, but in TKD it is a must as it is very difficult to kick to head level for the required breaks without being able to kick high. I don't know what your required breaks will be though or even if you have to, as some masters don't require breaks until black. Sudden awakening though.

As far as those that can split and were not good kickers, that is true. My daughter could split well but wasn't a great high kicker/breaker. Flexibility is just half of the equation, strength training the legs is the other half. My front kick is to head level from quad work. I do a hundred double side kicks-low high in order for my kick to go up, but I am not quite down in splits-either front and side. If I had that further flexibility, it would allow me to go higher more easily without fighting that pull. And then I think about the thread where Kembudo Kempoka talks about what we are doing to our hips in kicking high. I have followed that Kurz book too. Go slowly... TW
I don't have to be able to split but would like to get my leg or foot head high just because the people i would be sparring are able to ,plus when promotion does come around they do look at improvments in flexability as well as strength.alot of people i know that are blackbelts cannot split but do have the flexability to kick to the head .that is pretty much what i'm looking for.:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Greg!

I suggest you train consistently and don't rush anything. You will be using some muscles you likely have not used in awhile. Don't get frustrated, just keep going.

Miles

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be conservative when stretching.

It's OK to push yourself to a little bit beyond your normal limits, as that's how we get stronger, faster, more flexible, etc. However, there will be a point where enough is enough (for the time being). Listen to your body, and don't try to push yourself too far when stretching.

Also, do some light warm up stretches before hitting the flexibility building stretches. This will cut down on the chances of getting an injury.

Hopefully, no injuries will occur, but if they do (and it's going to happen to someone somewhere down the line), keep in mind that muscle strains take time to heal, and ligaments take even more time (poor blood flow).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is a great book called 'martial arts over 40'. my older students swear by it. there's a wealth of information on all aspects of training as we get older.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greg King said:
I bought the book and i have started my routine i'll keep you updated on my progress:)
Greg, good move IMO.

I've used that book for about ten years. Based on my personal experience, I'd give you this advice: if you choose to start isometric or PNF stretching as explained in the book, pay close attention to how often and when in your workouts Kurz recommends doing it. His recommendations are right on the mark. You can overwork your muscles pretty quickly by doing either type of stretching either too frequently or at the wrong time in your workouts. And, I'd suggest that you never do either type of stretching without being thoroughly warmed up from some type of aerobic activity. Doing either type of stretch with cold muscles is a sure way to injure yourself.

Good luck, and be patient. You'll get results over time.

Ash_MT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the instructors in my dojang reccomends stretching machines quite a bit, though I've never tried one myself.

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On a positive note-

I have two clicks in the school I teach. The 20 somethings and the 40 somethings. It seems to me that no matter which age group you belong to, the students that progress are the ones that practice. Good news, you can do whateveryone else can do. The bad news, we just hurt longer!

Good luck in your training.

Best Regards,

Jerry

dewd

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

I realize this is a very old post, but I'm in the same situation (I'm 41 and starting over). I was just wondering how it turned out for you? Were able to get the flexibility you were after? Any advice now that you've gone through the training after 40?

Thanks,

Dave

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Always one of my favorite topics! It appears Greg hasn't posted in a couple of years, but there's a lot of good information on the thread. I would still recommend following it and let us know how you're doing.

Welcome to MT!

dewd

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping Greg would have some great advice on how to instantly loosen my hips enough to do a proper side kick. :)

Oh well. Back to slow but sure progress....

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping Greg would have some great advice on how to instantly loosen my hips enough to do a proper side kick. :)

I'm told general anesthesia works. :ultracool

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm told general anesthesia works. :ultracool
:rofl:

Thanks for the welcome.

The only "great" advise I can think to give you is to NOT try to instantly loosen anything. Your body pretty much gives that up just about the time you were entering your teens.
As we get older, we gets as set in it's ways physically as we do mentally. You have to coax it along. As you said; slow but sure progress.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Latest Discussions