MA over 35 and workouts

OP
Greg King

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping Greg would have some great advice on how to instantly loosen my hips enough to do a proper side kick. :)

Oh well. Back to slow but sure progress....

SUPRISE I'M STILL HERE!!!! You are never going to loosen your hips quickly... it it took me two years get my side kick to chest high level(my side kick started at just above the knee level).... flexibility does not come easy for me...i am not, by nature ,a flexible person....a friend of mine achieved it in 8 months...also keep in mind i have been out because of illness for a while and i am just getting back into to it after a year off...but i was very pleased with my progress up until then...if you want it quickly stretch whenever you can...best advice i ever received was RELAX when you are stretching and don't "force" the stretch you will make better progress....the book i have is by Sang H. Kim...ultimate flexibility

dewd

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Greg, I'm glad you are still around.

I'm not flexible either but in the past 7 weeks I've gone from thigh high to waist high, so I guess there's hope.

I did purchase Mr. Kim's flexibilty book as well as his "Martial Arts over 40". They seem to be very well written.

Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it goes in a few years. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually use the Ultimate flexibility DVD as a pre-work out.

iamfor3

White Belt
Reaction score
Im over 40 had 2 back surgerys thought I would never touch my toes again It just takes time every day gets better its just going to take time!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am 43 y.o. and still kicking!!!! not like when I was a teen but I am still kicking jejejeje.

Manny

OP
Greg King

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
i forgot to answer your question about the sidekick.....i had one of the worst sidekicks ever when i started...what i did to improve was go to upper rank classes just to watch and tried to copy what they did ...very simple but it worked for me....also having dedicated instructors that are willing to work with you when there is an open matt helps alot....don't lose heart ...once you see improvements slight steps forward become great accomplishments when you are getting up there in age....most importantly remember to have fun.....if you need any more advice pm me or send me your email or friend me on facebook.....Greg:ultracool

Thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping Greg would have some great advice on how to instantly loosen my hips enough to do a proper side kick. :)

Oh well. Back to slow but sure progress....