MA Blues

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just too choosy? It's been a lot of years now, since I was enrolled in a Bujinkan school in West Virginia. I had had a bit of training in various styles before that time, and was thrilled to have the opportunity to train there while I was in college. But since then, and after having moved long away, I have not been able to find another style to fill the gap. I have tried several instructors, even attempting to adopt a different, more accessable style, only to be jaded and leave. I think part of what made the Bujinkan school different was not only the style, but the method of training as well, and the discussion of other / alternate techniques. Outside training was common. The instructor is a good cat, and I can still call him to ask advice. Circumstances have prevented a whole lot of more distant training, or travel to one school or another. I have considered giving boxing / kickboxing a shot, but am a bit concerned it will end up being a dead end. I really miss the training aspect, but the essence of the style was an important factor.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about a different xkan? Maybe there is no Bujinkan dojo nearby, but you might have more luck trying to find a Genbukan or Jinenkan dojo in your area. That would be closer to where your preferences lie than boxing or kickboxing.

OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
I had looked into those. There was a school pretty close, on the State Line between KS and MO, but he closed up shop. A shame, he seemed like a good cat. I know there are places in KC that offer 'a little like', but not the same thing. It's like travelling, maybe? You can't go back to the same place twice without both traveller and destination changing. There are a lot of things from Bujinkan that I appreciated. The lineage points that seem so important to some do not matter to me. I posted once a question about any styles, regardless of origin, that had the a similar combination of footwork, grappling, taijutsu-like movements that always struck me as very flowing and natural. I have read that at it's core, Bujinkan is a hybrid art, an MMA. I got interested in the 'western martial arts' as well, fencing and boxing and so on. In college, it used to drive my training partner, a kung fu stylist, mad that I considered handguns and shoulder weapons to be worthy of study, as well as unarmed and melee instruments. I got spoiled, too, wearing shoes. That's pretty nice.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not take this time to really explore some of area's of Martial Arts. You mightbe surprise and find something else.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a school pretty close, on the State Line between KS and MO, but he closed up shop. A shame, he seemed like a good cat. I know there are places in KC that offer 'a little like', but not the same thing. .

I have been in the KC area for quite a few years and you are going to have a hard time finding what you are after, if you insist on Bujinkan or other like schools. What all have you tried in the area? The only Bujinkan guy I knew was one I went to school with. He trained out of the Missouri Bujinkan dojo, but I think he moved away. What made the other styles not to your liking? LMK and I will try to help you out. Here in the KC area we are a little thin on variety.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It happens, and unfortunately, sometimes all you can do is train in a different style.

When I moved to my current location, I had just come from several years of training in Shuri Ryu Karate, and looked high and low to find a Shuri Ryu instructor.

Unfortunately, the closest one was 2.5 hours away in Atlanta, GA.

So, I started exploring other options, and ended up where I am now, at my current dojo, where I train in Karate and Kobudo. The more I trained, the more I ended up liking the systems, and right now, I consider it my primary system.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Discovering other worlds of martial arts can be an exciting thing, indeed.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am really impressed that other systems were allowed in his Bujinkan school. In my time with the Bujinkan only one instructor allowed me to run with some Kenpo but that was mostly, I think, to see how Kenpo attacked and countered his Taijutsu. Not to put down any of my three BBT instructors but they really wanted emphasis on BBT (which is fair since that is what they taught).

On another note I have heard good things about To Shin Do, including the distance learning DVD's but I have never tried them so that might be an option with a ninja flavor to it.

OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
I think part of what I really liked a lot about it was that we didn't stick with just the technique, but we worked in a bit of fieldcraft too. The instructor owns all the woods area around his place, and uses it for training as well. Firearms, both the defense of and their usage, were explored. It was good stuff.

I do remember one day, we were invited to share any techniques that we had brought with us from other styles. I had a background in kickboxing a bit and TKD, so I shared a simple rear round kick. For whatever reason, it was not something he was terribly familiar with, and was ready to say so, which was cool. Being a taller cat, and longer in the leg, it's one of my better techniques. Bujinkan is not really a kicking technique-heavy style, and it was a technique that I missed. So we got out the pads, and I demonstrated. Jubilation abound. Another guy brought a knee technique, and that was shared by all too. It was a pretty good day, one of several.

Another question though, what do you think of paintball? Does it fall, even roughly, fall within the definitions of a martial art, do you think? As far as training goes, there is some to be done. The combatitive thought processes are there. I have played several times before, woodsball, not the arena style speedball. I don't care as much for it, though I can see it's appeal for some. There was always something to be learned from someone more experienced, a lot of current and former military cats brought forth ideas. The Kansas City area does have some good paintball fields and sources. What do you think?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of what I really liked a lot about it was that we didn't stick with just the technique, but we worked in a bit of fieldcraft too. The instructor owns all the woods area around his place, and uses it for training as well. Firearms, both the defense of and their usage, were explored. It was good stuff.

I do remember one day, we were invited to share any techniques that we had brought with us from other styles. I had a background in kickboxing a bit and TKD, so I shared a simple rear round kick. For whatever reason, it was not something he was terribly familiar with, and was ready to say so, which was cool. Being a taller cat, and longer in the leg, it's one of my better techniques. Bujinkan is not really a kicking technique-heavy style, and it was a technique that I missed. So we got out the pads, and I demonstrated. Jubilation abound. Another guy brought a knee technique, and that was shared by all too. It was a pretty good day, one of several.

Another question though, what do you think of paintball? Does it fall, even roughly, fall within the definitions of a martial art, do you think? As far as training goes, there is some to be done. The combatitive thought processes are there. I have played several times before, woodsball, not the arena style speedball. I don't care as much for it, though I can see it's appeal for some. There was always something to be learned from someone more experienced, a lot of current and former military cats brought forth ideas. The Kansas City area does have some good paintball fields and sources. What do you think?
Your former instructor sounds like a unique individual, and that relationship may be hard to duplicate. I have never tried paintball, but I see some value in it pertaining to a form of combat. It also looks like a lot of fun.
icon7.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to play semi-pro paintball and it has its uses. It will help with adrenal dump and getting you familiar with getting shot at. It is the same as using airsoft to train. It hurts pretty good if you get bunkered. I find it to be a great traiing tool along with airsoft.

To me, it sounds like what you are describing is more of a training group vs. a school of sorts. This can be very good for you, if the instructor is open-minded like you described. Have you though about starting up a loose style training group?

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
boxing is a great option and so is kick boxing try it out there nothing like getting in the ring and exchanging some blows and going toe to toe %-}

OP
SJC

SJC

White Belt
Reaction score
I had thought about the loose training group, but I don't know if I'm in any sort of place to be able to offer anything organizational. We are a one-car household, and I work midnight shifts. Soccer season is still going on too, and that's a bit to manage...I'm sure an opportunity will present itself.

Latest Discussions