Lucky baby... stupid mother, stupider siblings

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mary Bussey caught her neighbor's baby after it fell more than 18 feet.
According to Denver police, the mother of the baby is a juvenile. Police say the mother left work and left the baby with her two siblings.

The siblings, ages 10 and 13, apparently left the apartment located at 3141 S. Tamarac Drive. Police say the boys also left the front door of the apartment open allowing the baby an exit. It's unclear how the baby ended up dangling from the railing.

Now... I don't know which part of this story concerns me the most... that the boys left the apartment, that the mother left a baby with them in the first place... or that the mother is described as a juvenile herself - so how does this baby have 10 and 13 year-old siblings? Yeah, I know, half-siblings... but still... and they all live with grandmother.

I know plenty of parents who are undergoing financial hardship, who can't afford babysitters; their older kids don't show up at school when they can't find a babysitter, because they are watching the younger kids - but they know not to leave the little ones alone. And yet, the article also said that the mother couldn't afford a certified babysitter, and can't afford not to work... there is something seriously wrong about this entire situation, and I'm not even sure which issue to start with.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The question is whether the "her" siblings refer to the baby's siblings, or the mother's siblings. Since the mother is a juvenile, this leads me to believe that the 10 & 13 year olds are the younger siblings of the mom.

The report did not indicate the gender of the baby nor the age of the mother (probably a teenager). All we know is that the grandmother and the mother weren't there when this happened. The 10 & 13 year old were apparently not responsible enough to be the care-takers.

Yes, the baby is very lucky to have heros there at the right time.

- Ceicei

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having seen the news report again, I think you're right - the boys are the mother's siblings.

Still, this story brings up some really disturbing issues - teen parenthood, working mothers, childcare (affordability and safety), dropping out of high school (I'm guessing on this, but if mom is a juvenile and works, it seems that if she's still in high school, she's at a pretty high risk for dropping out) - all issues that affect our society and that are not being addressed appropriately.

Any comments? Should this be moved to the Study for further discussion?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, let's move this to The Study. I think the subject of how intervention/services could be done better or properly would be a good one to explore.

- Ceicei

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to The Study as requested.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9 month old baby and a 18 foot fall to a concrete walkway could've only spelled tragedy.
On one hand I can appreciate the difficulty of finding and affording a certified babysitter as requested by the child welfare services (whatever!) but looking at the gross income of the family says that they (welfare services) should've kicked in a little.
Still it was gross negilgence on the family all around that leaving the baby with two irresponsible teenage boys who simply walked off ... even if they DID leave the door shut... something else could've happened to an inquisitive and mobile 9 month old baby.

I'm glad that the boy who caught the baby just happened (???) to be taking out the garbage at that particular moment.