Lotteries.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a 3 July 2003 Washington post article carried in the Indianapolis Star:

Americans spent $42.4 billion on lottery tickets in 2002, according an industry group.

Billion! I hope it's a misprint. If not, this is so sad. Think about what people could do with that kind of money--the people who are hoping for a windfall to improve their lives. Add the money lost on other forms of gambling to that. Some of it goes to govts. but then I figure most of that money would be gotten by more progressive taxes if weren't being gotten this way--it isn't really "extra money" that "goes to schools" as they so often say. Instead we have a tax on either stupidity or hope, depending on how you view it.

What a waste.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
From a 3 July 2003 Washington post article carried in the Indianapolis Star:

Billion! I hope it's a misprint. If not, this is so sad. Think about what people could do with that kind of money--the people who are hoping for a windfall to improve their lives. Add the money lost on other forms of gambling to that. Some of it goes to govts. but then I figure most of that money would be gotten by more progressive taxes if weren't being gotten this way--it isn't really "extra money" that "goes to schools" as they so often say. Instead we have a tax on either stupidity or hope, depending on how you view it.

What a waste.

Arnisdaor,

I am not sure where I read this tidbit of information. The higher the education level the less money spent on Lotteries and or Gambling in general.

I have contributed about $5-$10 this year for a group from work, when one of the multi-state lotteries was $175 MIllion.

It is not free money for the states, as soon as they get it in the budget for something, they re-allocate the other tax money to another fund. The /laws a few years into a game or joining a new harder game to produce higher pots. The Rules/laws are not always as pitched for the first time they offered it. So the schools do not gain as it is assumed by many.

I do contribute to raffles where most of the money is going for or to some charity. Yet, I look at it as some cheap entertainment and some or most ofthe money going for a good cause.

Yet, in the big sceme of things is is a drop in the ocean of the dollars spent on gambling.

:(

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to spend a few bucks when it hits those 'huge' amounts.

A few bucks isnt bad. But, I've seen folks walk out with 30, 50, even $100 in tickets at a time. Its nuts.

Then again, I live in NYS, where insanity is normal.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... lemme tell ya...

When the "Big Game" gets over about 40 million, I tend to spend 5 bucks a week on tix till someone wins.

Do I HONESTLY believe I am gonna win? No. But am I spending money I dont have? No.

But if I dont play, I cant win, if I do win WOO HOO, and when I dont I think about all the beer I didnt spend that 5 bucks on, and think to myself, "better that that money went to the school districts here (yeah yeah I know, lets not get into the politics of that) than into my liver..."

Just this Lotto players two cents. AH CRUD. I JUST WASTED TWO CENTS.

:rofl:

P

progressivetactics

i normally dont spend any $ either on those...except for the office lottery pool, which I just happned to hit on my last day of employment...........woo hoo....retirement come early. A whoping $195.00 I took home (split with someone else).

Maybe I shouldn't play at all if that is all i can get from those.

Latest Discussions