Lost Hyungs

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He also learned one Yang style Tai Chi (Tae Geuk Kwon) form, which was the highest level form in Moo Duk Kwan until GM Hwang began to reformat his system and teach Chil Sung's, Yuk Ro's and Hwa Sun hyung. But a little secret, I've looked at alot of the new forms, and although Hwang Kee says his influence is Moo Yei Tobo Dang Ji(korean text circa 1700's), the newer forms by Hwang Kee are very much influenced by Tan Tui and Tai Chi Chuan.

Yes indeed, originally the Tae Keuk Kwon was paldan (8th dan) material, but somtime later it became eedan (2nd dan) material, before disappearing completely.

The Hwa Sun hyung is supposed to be GM Hwang Kee's translation of the Kwon Bop chapter of the Mu Ye Dobo Tongji. The Chil Sung forms are supposed to be a culmination of all of GM Hwang Kee's knowledge. The Ship Dan Kum is supposed to contain vital point strikes that cause delayed effects...that I am not so sure about...Though in the Kwon Bop section of the MYDBTJ is does discuss vital points being used to cause things like deafness, muteness, death etc.

--josh

OP
M

Master Ken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are supposed to be two lost hyungs of the original Tang Soo Do of Hwang Kee KJN. They are SO RIM JANG KWON (Shaolin Long Fist) and TAE KEUK KWON (Tai Chi Chuan). So Rim Jang Kwan is said to be a begging to intermidiate level long fist form.
The interesting part is that neither of them are lost. Both are still in the original printing, in that of Soo Bahk Do Dae Kahm. TKK even has photos. SRJK has a full description. The SRJK was translated thanks to GM Charles Ferraro of the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan...it is just in somewhat archaic terms, and needs to be retranslated into physical movements.
Tae Keuk Kwon has long been identified by Master Henry Murphy as the Yang Style 88 form...this is actually a two man set one half being defensive, and the other offensive. The odd thing is that the creation of this form dates quite sometime after KJN Hwang Kee's time in China with his master Yang Kuk Jin (Yang Jeng Kou). Hwang Kee only demoed one half of the form in his SBD Dae Kahm, so it is presumable he only taught one half.

This is indeed true, the forms are called "Ship Dahn Kum", they have not been taught in the US...oddly the Chil Sung and Yuk Rho hyungs were first taught in the US...There is a book in Korean entitled 'Soo Bahk Do' that has all 10 Ship Dahn Kum forms, along with all 6 Yuk Rho, and the Hwa Sun hyung with descriptions and photos...

There are actually 2 versions of Hwa Sun, but thats another story, reportedly the actual hyung was just recently taught by KJN H.C. Hwang to the USSBDMDKF Chil Dan candidates.

All together GM Hwang Kee created 24 forms, 7 Chil Sung, 6 Yuk Rho 1 Hwa Sun, and 10 Ship Dan Kum.

--josh
This is fantastic, really helps me. I have both volumes from GM HK on hyungs/ advanced hyung as demonstrated by GM HC Hwang. Is there a site/contact to which I may get a detailed discription of how SRJK and TKK are performed.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is fantastic, really helps me. I have both volumes from GM HK on hyungs/ advanced hyung as demonstrated by GM HC Hwang. Is there a site/contact to which I may get a detailed discription of how SRJK and TKK are performed.

Please PM me...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Ken, do you have a copy of the Hangul Volume 2 (The one that contains the Ship Dan Kum)?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is out of print from the Federation. I've heard that you can get it in Korea, but I just got back and I looked all over the place.

I scour E-bay for it frequently...but it is never up there. I'm hoping to find it on a rare or used book site or something.

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hwa Sun is actually published in a few TSD and SBD books. The Chil Sungs though, were copyrighted by the US Soo Bahk Do Federation and are only partially published. The first 3 are easy to find within the USSBDF but you have to go GM Pak's books to find the next two and to the best of my knowledge, you have to be very high ranking and close to GM H.C. Hwang to learn Chil Sung 6 and 7 - but they're out there. Same problem with the Yuk Ro series of forms.

MBuzzy,

We in the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan have all 7 Chil Sung Forms and all 6 Yuk Rho forms. They are out there more then you think they are, book form or otherwise. But you do not have to be close to GM H.C. Hwang to learn them. All you need to do to see Chil Sung Yuk Rho is youtube "Mi Guk Kwan" and look at SBN Bergers do an excellent job with this challenging form.

Look at it and tell me what you think…

TANG SOO!!!

Mike Tabone

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association Inc. (www.tsdkmgk.com) has some high quality DVDs available for purchase...that document several chil sung as well as hwa sun hyung in the 10th gup - 3rd dan DVD's.

SBN Tabone was talking about these videos:

Here is SBN Jim Savidge doing Chil Sung Sa Rho

Here is SBN Anthony Manchisi doing Chil Sung Oh Rho

and here is SBN James Bergers doing Chil Sung Yuk Rho

take care,
--josh

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found this video of "O Sip Sa Bu:"

Accurate, for anyone who might know it? Looks pretty cool, from what I can see of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Josh should recognize the performer.

Yes that is O Sip Sa bu hyung. I perform Gojushiho Dai, very similar.

KJN Ferraro of the Mi Guk Kwan is the performer.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know guys, I see these forms being performed for permance sake and I have to wonder at their use. In fact, I'm finding this kind of frustrating because I want to see something different...

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know guys, I see these forms being performed for permance sake and I have to wonder at their use. In fact, I'm finding this kind of frustrating because I want to see something different...
Hello all,
yep that video is of Grandmaster Charles Ferraro of the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association...great video!

As far as the hyungs we should never look at Tang Soo Do as a performance art...The competition should always be secondary...first and foremost we should be developing pugilistic skill...everything else follows...The contents of that side ARE the form...it just needs to be read..understanding forms is like learning a new language. I think the reason that we dont see that side in videos so often is because it is very varied, and not standardized. There is no right exact way to interpret a movement, there are many good ways, and a few bad...but we must always remember the first and foremost reason of practicing a form, and also remember that these videos are the secondary, aesthetic/competitive side.

take care,
--josh

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Josh, I think that when you look at the classical tsd hyungs and attempt to compare what is being done in these videos, you might have more of an insight in what I'm saying.

The bottom line is that I want to see how all of these changes and innovations come together to create a fighting art. I want to see how the performance of these hyungs increases ones ability at pugilism. I can come up with lots of things that I think they might be teaching, but that is not the same as getting it from the source...

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Josh, I think that when you look at the classical tsd hyungs and attempt to compare what is being done in these videos, you might have more of an insight in what I'm saying.

The bottom line is that I want to see how all of these changes and innovations come together to create a fighting art. I want to see how the performance of these hyungs increases ones ability at pugilism. I can come up with lots of things that I think they might be teaching, but that is not the same as getting it from the source...
Hello,
I hear ya...For just that reason I took up the study of Oyata lineage Ryukyu Kempo 6 years ago (and still study a bit today)...Once I saw what they did I was enthralled, and pretty much devoted all of my time to it...eventually I found myself back where I was, KMA's. The principles are there in the TSD forms, the problem being that KJN Hwang Kee did not have the ability to go back to the source, he was forced to start in the middle with Funakoshi's material, with no retrospection into the true nature of the art...So he took what he had and ran with it. What I see, is that we need to get back to the roots (i.e. Okinawa) to get the foundational principles, then evaluate what we are doing, and why we are doing it...On an interesting note, I have found that Hwang Kee KJN's work is much more philosophical in nature than the Okinawan counterparts...Both aspects (like um and yang) are essential. To find out how practicing a form increases pugilistic ability we need to look to the origins again...why were these forms founded, what is the Okinawan view, and how does the create harmony or disharmony with what I am doing, and how can I use both to become a better practicioner? I would highly recommend the book "Ryu Te no Michi" (Way of Classical Ryukyu Hands) by Taika Oyata (www.ryu-te-supplies.com) to shed ALOT of light on this subject...the book is a little pricey, but its like the lamp that can guide you on your journey, it did for me anyway.
Also reading Hwang Kee's SBDTSD Vol. 1 shed light on this too...I remember the section describing how we need to bring realism to every movement (give every movement meaning and purpose)...that is a huge subject, that can shed a ton more light on why we practice forms...Its all hard to describe via this medium lol but FWIW,
--josh