Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
[font=Verdana,Arial]Both are one of the greatest modern epics IMO. One takes place in the past (Lord of the Rings) while one takes place in the future (Star Wars). Both take place in a fantasy world/universe. One gained fame more in its books while other gained fame in its movies (both are sucessful in books and movies). Both have books made outside the timeline of the movies discussing the past and a little about the future.

There are also morals to be learned in both movies, Lord of the Rings having a bit more conservative morals while Star Wars has a bit more liberal morals to learn. Whether we agree with some of these morals or not it still does not take away from their glory.

Which of these two masterpiece modern epics do you like more and why? I think I like them about the same, hard to choose one over the other.
[/font]

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Star Wars by far. I fell asleep in the first 10 minutes of the first Lord of the Rings.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
A Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....

:D

That was my thought also. ;)

Both are stories of coming of age, and of the people of non=consequence making an actual difference. :D

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A bit more timely ... Harry Potter. Same Story - different characters.

But, all things being equal, Lucas and Rowling can't hold a candle to Tolkien.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I loved the original Star Wars trilogy, but I thought the last 3 say for phantom menace stunk.

Id probably go with LOTR, but I really didnt like the return of the king, as I thought it drifted somewhat from the book itself. So, Star Wars Original Trilogy it is, but nevertheless LOTR was great too. The funny thing about Star Wars though, not to drift away too much is that that classic trilogy will be one of those rare movies that will be passed on from generation to generation. We will all be grand dads/moms and our grandkids will probably be watching them with the same type of amazement we did.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Star Wars.
The best thing about LOTR was my friends laughing at me when I was trying to slit my wrists with a cheese grater at the most moronic endings of the 3rd movie.
And yes,I did say "endingS". That movie could have ended on SO many different levels,but it just had to drag on and on and on AND ON....
where's that damn cheese grater.....
But honestly,I saw both for what they actually are....movies for entertainment! Nothing else.
Oh yea,1st trilogy btw, of Star Wars.
The second trilogy.....
Bite a rock.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are we comparing movies or stories? LOTH (the books) is best by far IMO. I have "issues" with the artistic license the script writers took in the movie version.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
A Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....

:D
Well ya know Lord of the Rings might take place in the future too then;). But LOTR represents the past while Star Wars the future.

Tgace said:
Are we comparing movies or stories? LOTH (the books) is best by far IMO. I have "issues" with the artistic license the script writers took in the movie version.
Overall best and/or favorite. Movies, books, story, ect.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
LotR wins hands down when the books are used. Tolkein could actually write, Lucas cannot. (Shame Jackson didn't recognize this.)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel I should say the LOTR movies are better...but, to be honest, the SW stuff drwas me in more, despite the fact that it's more shlocky.

Adding the books in does indeed change things. The LOTR stuff is literature.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Definitely Star Wars.

LOTR is good, only I wish they didn't even make the movie sadly, definitely wasn't what Tolkein wanted, Peter Jackson should have stayed to the author's wishes.

What are they going to do when George Lucas dies? Remake the original triology with a a new cast ? :( I hope not.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:
Definitely Star Wars.

LOTR is good, only I wish they didn't even make the movie sadly, definitely wasn't what Tolkein wanted, Peter Jackson should have stayed to the author's wishes.

What are they going to do when George Lucas dies? Remake the original triology with a a new cast ? :( I hope not.
I hope they keep the original trilogy and re-make the new trilogy. If anything at least redux "The Phantom Menace" for pete's sake! If they casted Hayden Christensen in that; showing him to be a moody teenager being beaten and abused by Watto (stereotypical slave owner), then it would've given weight to his surly attitude in "Attack Of The Clones" and also would've made the potential romance between Anakin and Padme" much more believable.
It would've also made the hero of the Pod-race that much more believable too.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drifter said:
Both follow the general guidelines of The Hero With a Thousand Faces, no?
I don't think Tolkien was really trying to follow that unlike Lucas who was deliberately trying to flowchart that book. Tolkien's main ambition was to create a flat earth mythos for England. So of course that heroic jouney stuff will seep in since that's what he was modeling it after, but that's not the same thing as following what's become a screenwriting textbook.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to mention that Tolkien pre-dates "Hero" by a good what 10-20 years or more?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Not to mention that Tolkien pre-dates "Hero" by a good what 10-20 years or more?

I was curious about the date of writing and publish on the "HERO".

It is hard to say someone tried to follow someones' guideline if the guideline was written after, it almost looks like the Guideline was written from that story, as how to tell a classic epic. But, Lord of the Ring, in the US did not become popular until Graffitti in the NY subways had quotes of "Frodo Lives", "BilBo" etc, ..., .

Does some have the link to when the hero guide was written and where it was written?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both are good. Personally, I really love LOTRs and while I enjoy Star Wars, I get bored with it. Maybe it's because I grew up with fantasy and love elves, magic, dragons, etc. and not sci-fi and the whole space thing.

Movie-wise--I definitly love LOTRs much better than Star Wars--the plot, the characters, music, world, etc. To me, Peter Jackson picked exactly the right actors to play the right parts. However, some of the actors that George Lucas chose aren't convincing or good actors (others are), and that makes a big difference in pulling me into the movie.

I just really love LOTRs, but I do enjoy lightsabers and the big lightsaber battles.
star-wars-smiley-026.gif
:jedi1:

Robyn
costumed-smiley-091.gif
:jediduel:
linksmile.gif

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think LOTR is a really fantastic trilogy, lot of homoerotic style looks and moments between the hobbits though, one or the other is also crying most of the time which got a little annoying..! But still thought they were fantastic.

I just enjoyed star wars more, I do agree that episode 1 is annoying in places, obviously Jar Jar binks is incredibly irritating and that does let the film down a bit. But the pod race is pretty cool, very impressed the first time i saw that in the cinema, the best bit of course is the fight scene between obiwan and anakin against darth maul of course. One of the best fight scenes ever!
Episode 3 is really good, I can't understand how it gets so slated, it is dark and the fight scenes are fantastic. Seeing Vader born was very cool as well, in my opinion anyway. Well I'm not going to dissect each film, I just like the star wars films, the whole idea of the jedi is just a fantastic idea and having them use light sabres instead of guns was just an inspired idea..!
:) :jedi1:

Latest Discussions