Looking for some good mats

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am looking to buy some mats to practice my break falls and rolls. My only requirement is that it I can easily carry. The kind I am looking at is the hard type that gymnasts use.

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am looking to buy some mats to practice my break falls and rolls. My only requirement is that it I can easily carry. The kind I am looking at is the hard type that gymnasts use.
How far do you want to carry it? Around the house?

I have a double layer of interlocking foam tiles at home. You can get 16 square feet for 12-15 bucks at HomeDepot.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How far do you want to carry it? Around the house?

I have a double layer of interlocking foam tiles at home. You can get 16 square feet for 12-15 bucks at HomeDepot.

Just something I can move anywhere. Never thought of the foam tiles. I remember in gym class there were these mats that could be attached with velcro straps.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I just went through a mat search for the Rec. Center I teach at.

Even though you say you only want them to practice break falls and rolls, you might later want to practice throwing or take downs so I offer the following for you or anyone else who is considering getting mats.

If you are wanting mats that can be transported or stored, check out the Flexi Roll, or EZI Roll mats. There are two companies that I looked into. Dollamur and MATSMATSMATS.com

Dollamur was local and we went with them, I had some issues with the MATS company getting a quote but I think it was just their sales dept. Anyway I went to the Dollamur factory and checked out the mats and they gave me two to try out. We were satisfied and ordered some and they have been great.

So here some basic facts on the mats. They have two top surfaces a vinyl type surface which is good for grappeling systems and a carpeted Cheer/Gymnastic type surface. They come in different lengths and widths 4, 5, and 6 feet. They come in two different foam thinkness 1 3/8s and 2 inches I think. We got the 1 3/8s and they have worked great. The mats roll out/roll up and they are easy to put down in a few minutes, much better than the fold up accordion style mats we had before.

Due to having to put down and take the mats back up we went with the Cheer surface, EVEN THOUGH the phone sales guys recommended we go with the vinyl surface. When I went to the factory the R&D guy, a sales guy, and I discussed the class needs and the R&D guy told me that since I have to take the mats up and down often like I do, then to go with Cheer surface so I can use Velcro to cover the seams. Other wise I would go broke trying to cover the seams with the cost of replacing the tape. I was concerned about rug burns etc. etc. and he told me the gymnasts don't complain about it so I probably would have any trouble with it either. So we went with the Cheer surface due to the need of pulling them up every week and the cost of covering the seams.

I teach generally stand up martial arts, Americanized TKD and Modern Arnis. In both systems I do teach take-downs but we don't do a lot of ground work grappling. I teach mainly kids but I have to take falls for them as well and I'm a big heavy guy. These mats have work great. It takes me
separator.gif
about 10 minutes to get the mats in place roll them out etc. etc. and I have 3 5X30 ft. rolls to lay out. This doubled our workout area where I had to lay out 11 fold up mats for half of the space.

The cost was cheaper with the roll up mats than the fold up mats and the ease of handling is much easier. I believe you can look on line at the Dollamur site and they have Clearence sales where you can get 4X6 (possibly even 5X10 or 6X10) mats real cheap with the Cheer surface.

The phone sales people all tried to steer me away from the Cheer surface when they heard I taught take downs etc. etc. They told me I wouldn't be happy with it, told me I woud get rug burns etc. etc. It was their own R&D guy who suggested it because of my need to put them down and take them up, and I'm here to tell you they work fine. So if you need to put them down and pull them up a lot go with the Cheer surface if you are covering a big area (such as my 30 feet long mats). However if you are only using a small area like two 10 ft long mats then go with the vinyl if you are doing grappling and if you are not putting them down and taking them up every day.

My trial mats were 4X6 and they rolled up and rolled out quickly, if you are practicing only rolling and breakfalls then a couple of them would give you enough area to work on with one seam to deal with. I'd probably go with the vinyl surface. This way you could put them together side by side (6 foot seam) or end to end (and get a 4 foot seam). Either way that would be a rolling area of 4X12 or a break fall area of 6X8 and I believe they will be cheaper than the fold up mats. If you want a 5 foot wide mat though, that is a custom order mat since they have to cut down a 6 foot wide mat. However I did see where they had 5X10 ft mats so maybe it's only when they are longer like what we ordered.

This is probably way more info than you wanted or needed but maybe it will help someone else looking for info as well.

Good luck

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just went through a mat search for the Rec. Center I teach at.

Even though you say you only want them to practice break falls and rolls, you might later want to practice throwing or take downs so I offer the following for you or anyone else who is considering getting mats.

If you are wanting mats that can be transported or stored, check out the Flexi Roll, or EZI Roll mats. There are two companies that I looked into. Dollamur and MATSMATSMATS.com

Dollamur was local and we went with them, I had some issues with the MATS company getting a quote but I think it was just their sales dept. Anyway I went to the Dollamur factory and checked out the mats and they gave me two to try out. We were satisfied and ordered some and they have been great.

So here some basic facts on the mats. They have two top surfaces a vinyl type surface which is good for grappeling systems and a carpeted Cheer/Gymnastic type surface. They come in different lengths and widths 4, 5, and 6 feet. They come in two different foam thinkness 1 3/8s and 2 inches I think. We got the 1 3/8s and they have worked great. The mats roll out/roll up and they are easy to put down in a few minutes, much better than the fold up accordion style mats we had before.

Due to having to put down and take the mats back up we went with the Cheer surface, EVEN THOUGH the phone sales guys recommended we go with the vinyl surface. When I went to the factory the R&D guy, a sales guy, and I discussed the class needs and the R&D guy told me that since I have to take the mats up and down often like I do, then to go with Cheer surface so I can use Velcro to cover the seams. Other wise I would go broke trying to cover the seams with the cost of replacing the tape. I was concerned about rug burns etc. etc. and he told me the gymnasts don't complain about it so I probably would have any trouble with it either. So we went with the Cheer surface due to the need of pulling them up every week and the cost of covering the seams.

I teach generally stand up martial arts, Americanized TKD and Modern Arnis. In both systems I do teach take-downs but we don't do a lot of ground work grappling. I teach mainly kids but I have to take falls for them as well and I'm a big heavy guy. These mats have work great. It takes me
separator.gif
about 10 minutes to get the mats in place roll them out etc. etc. and I have 3 5X30 ft. rolls to lay out. This doubled our workout area where I had to lay out 11 fold up mats for half of the space.

The cost was cheaper with the roll up mats than the fold up mats and the ease of handling is much easier. I believe you can look on line at the Dollamur site and they have Clearence sales where you can get 4X6 (possibly even 5X10 or 6X10) mats real cheap with the Cheer surface.

The phone sales people all tried to steer me away from the Cheer surface when they heard I taught take downs etc. etc. They told me I wouldn't be happy with it, told me I woud get rug burns etc. etc. It was their own R&D guy who suggested it because of my need to put them down and take them up, and I'm here to tell you they work fine. So if you need to put them down and pull them up a lot go with the Cheer surface if you are covering a big area (such as my 30 feet long mats). However if you are only using a small area like two 10 ft long mats then go with the vinyl if you are doing grappling and if you are not putting them down and taking them up every day.

My trial mats were 4X6 and they rolled up and rolled out quickly, if you are practicing only rolling and breakfalls then a couple of them would give you enough area to work on with one seam to deal with. I'd probably go with the vinyl surface. This way you could put them together side by side (6 foot seam) or end to end (and get a 4 foot seam). Either way that would be a rolling area of 4X12 or a break fall area of 6X8 and I believe they will be cheaper than the fold up mats. If you want a 5 foot wide mat though, that is a custom order mat since they have to cut down a 6 foot wide mat. However I did see where they had 5X10 ft mats so maybe it's only when they are longer like what we ordered.

This is probably way more info than you wanted or needed but maybe it will help someone else looking for info as well.

Good luck

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Latest Discussions