Looking for "Aicondo"!

jblakey

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm researching old martial arts books sold through comic book ads in the 1960s and 1970s. I've collected most of the examples of this genre (World's Deadliest, Yubiwaza, Super Karate, etc), but there's one I just can't find - "Aicondo". I've been looking for many months now, and I've got nothing. I'm starting to think that the book that was sent out was a completely different book, without "Aicondo" anywhere in the title.

If anyone ordered "Aicondo" from this ad back in the day I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much,
jason

Attachments

• HQ_Aicondo_ad_1975.JPG
    HQ_Aicondo_ad_1975.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 35

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AiCondo is a cloud-based condominium management software for gated communities.

But I'm guessing that's not what you're here to talk about.

I found this site which covers a lot of these. Specifically about aicondo, it says:
Though I have found no further information about aicondo, it was undoubtedly another make-believe martial art and black belt by mail scam intended to take advantage of the 70s kung-fu fad.

It might not even have been a real art. I'm guessing the name is supposed to be a mix of Taekwondo and Aikido. Both came to the USA in the 50s, so it makes sense that by the 70s some folks would have heard of it. Or maybe it was an unintentional misspelling of the two.

OP
J

jblakey

White Belt
Reaction score
:) No, I can't afford a condo:)

Thanks for tracking that link down - I've been chatting with Dan, hoping he might have a copy, but no luck.
I'm pretty sure the content of the book (or course, or books, or whatever) would be worthless, as far as actual martial arts knowledge goes (most of these book are), but I'd still love to find a copy. It probably a mix of whatever the author could lay their hands on at the time, or it could be another pre-existing book (or maybe a few Tegner books).

I'm sure it's not a real art - there's 0 mentions of it anywhere on the web (or any of the libraries I've checked).
I'm just hoping someone out there ordered a copy and can put this mystery to bed for me:)

Thanks,
jason

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on the mailing address, I suspect it was a product of Tuttle Publishing, which still exists and which still published martial arts titles, although perhaps less lurid than former times. Perhaps they might be able to shed some light on your mystery?

Tuttle was based in Rutland, VT during that time and did indeed publish in comic books for martial arts titles. The artwork and 'fear no man' remind me of quite a few similar styles of arts, which might or might not have been made up of whole cloth.

OP
J

jblakey

White Belt
Reaction score
Based on the mailing address, I suspect it was a product of Tuttle Publishing, which still exists and which still published martial arts titles, although perhaps less lurid than former times. Perhaps they might be able to shed some light on your mystery?

Tuttle was based in Rutland, VT during that time and did indeed publish in comic books for martial arts titles. The artwork and 'fear no man' remind me of quite a few similar styles of arts, which might or might not have been made up of whole cloth.
Good guess! I contacted them, they had no record of it, although they couldn't rule out that "Aicondo" was someone's side hustle. It does seem very coincidental that both were in Rutland, Vermont (although the Aicondo mailing address moved to NJ in 1976).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good guess! I contacted them, they had no record of it, although they couldn't rule out that "Aicondo" was someone's side hustle. It does seem very coincidental that both were in Rutland, Vermont (although the Aicondo mailing address moved to NJ in 1976).
Given that Center Rutland (in the center of Rutland, apparently) had a population of 500, it seems to strain credulity that there isn't some kind of relationship there. But you never know, and with the passage of time...

OP
J

jblakey

White Belt
Reaction score
Given that Center Rutland (in the center of Rutland, apparently) had a population of 500, it seems to strain credulity that there isn't some kind of relationship there. But you never know, and with the passage of time...
Agree - but it was 40+ years ago now, and I would be that anyone who knew what the link was between Tuttle and Aicondo has either passed on or moved to Florida:)

Latest Discussions