"Live" side vs. "dead" side

ered101

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi-di-ho all,

Could someone please give me a good explanation of "Live" side vs. "Dead" side of a weapon? It is mentioned over and over in Krav Magda, but I havn't really found a good explanation of what this principle truely means.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi-di-ho all,

Could someone please give me a good explanation of "Live" side vs. "Dead" side of a weapon? It is mentioned over and over in Krav Magda, but I havn't really found a good explanation of what this principle truely means.

Could you quote an example of where that is being used in reference to a weapon? Usually the live and dead side in Krav Maga refers to an attacker.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Carol mentioned, not sure waht the rest of the context, but the live side is the position in which the attacker/opponent has full view of all your limbs and can attack your front. The dead side would be closer to your back (or side) or any position in which the attacker/opponent cannot utilize the optimal strikes. The live side is the most dangerous side and most advantagous for your attacker. The dead side is safer and more advantageous for your counters. These terms/phrases are also use in boxing.

Each school may expalin this a little different, but it was explained to me this way at a seminar. By now means am I an expert, just saw the post sitting unaswered and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will add an example. Standing face to face with an opponnet. Your opponet has you in "Live" site and can throw a strike to any target. Let's say a roundhouse comes in toward your head, you "bob" or duck under the punch and move to the outside of the punch. You are now on the dead side.

Think electricity... "Live" or positive wire equals pain or death, "Dead" or negative equals safe ground.

OP
E

ered101

White Belt
Reaction score
Excellent - this is just what I was looking for - Thanks everyone

Latest Discussions