live chat

A

AnimEdge

webmaster is what i use, i like IRC based becouse it give your control over everything

you set up a irc.webmaster.com irc chatroom with chanserv and nickserv(if you dont know how ill do it for you but its not hard) and you can access it via a java applet that one can place onto a website ie:
http://www.animedge.net/index.php?id=chatroom/index
or you can use a irc client like http://www.mirc.com and log into it via that

you can have full control over your chat from who is Ops(capable of kicking and banning people) and a whole lot of otehr options the only problem is theres a chance sence theres a lot of people using webmaster your name might be allready taken beyond taht its great

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tell ya what......... i WILL make a yahoo group, and send out a few email invitations to people....because i really think it would be great, and there would be no pressure about trying to start something and keeping it current....or implementing a new software that will never get used.....
Kaith, are you opposed to that information being displayed on this thread?

shawn

A

AnimEdge

Yahoo groups arnt they like some big email lists? i think i was a member of a rpg one once, i still think the IRC will work best ^_^

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An actual chat room would be cool, but a bbs about a bbs? Seems odd to me.
What about something like ICQ/etc? I know theres ways to do stuff with that, I just never got into the setup myself.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee, I dunno...

I've heard about those "online chat rooms". What if I meet someone who tries to seduce me and arrange a "meeting"?

Hey, I read "Dear Abby". I know how dangerous can be for someone as sensitive and vulnerable as me. I could run into some scurrilous cad who tries to rob me of my life savings, ruin my marriage, and break my heart.

Oh, but what the Hell. Let's do it.

Regards,

Steve

A

AnimEdge

ill uh set up a irc chat if you want, and ill set up the java version so you can place a way to get to the chat on the site if you want

A

AnimEdge

Bam there you go set one up you can access it two ways:
through http://www.mirc.com download the mirc client and add a new server: irc.webmaster.com and when you sign on type in /join #MartialTalk
The secound will be the java version for those who does not want to download mIRC give me a sec and ill have the demo for it set up

A

AnimEdge

Heres the java version: http://www.animedge.net/martialtalk.php

Tada we now have a modded chatroom :p
took like 3 mins :p
Now it is currently set up to wherte im the admin, now once the admins here join in and accept/want to use this room i will gladly give them control :p
it would be nice if you guy would host the java script (its just a script of code that called the rest of the applet from webmaster.com so its not like you install anything)

Tada whos kool go me :p

Oh and the current color style and such of the chatroom is just set up for my site cuz i dont feel like changing the colors :p

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey guys
i havent looked at this thread in a few days and i set up a yahoo group......lol
anywho.......if anyone wants to join it.....here is the link

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/kempotalk/

thanks to AnimEdge for setting up the java room!
anyone is welcome to go to the yahoo site and post pics or anything....yes i know this is a great message board here.....but i set up the yahoo thing before i saw the post, simply for a quick and easy way for people to go and chat live should they choose to.

shawn

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AE-
Ok, I spent some time doing a test run.

Clicking on the link, the page loaded fast. Much smoother than the other systems I've experimented with for IRC interaction.

System sat there, no obvious way to 'sign in'. after a short delay where I did nothing, it did sign me in.

I attempted to post a 'testing' message, at which point it asked me for a password, and then changed my username to testing.

The interface is a bit 'non-intuative', so there is a definate learning curve.

It's cute, but considering that a great deal of our members are non-computer experts, something more 'user friendly' would need to be in place before we can say 'its official'.

If you'd like to run it non-officially for now, and we can see about working the 'bugs' out, I'm cool with that. Maybe a few scheduled 'chats' and see what feedback we can get on the system, as well as to gauge actual member interest.

Maybe a different front end would allow the ease of use I believe we need.
Another concern we've always had about adding in chat rooms was the thought that it would effect negatively our primary feature, the discussion boards.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shawn - It wants me to register for Yahoo to check things out. My Yahoo Email address is pretty much dead so any email validations won't work for me.

A

AnimEdge

Well poo you where in there and i didnt notice, it usally blinks at me
First:
Yep the login part is a pit of a pain, at the beinging it gives you the whole username thing, but it loads into the chatroom before you can enter a name, so then if you read the next to the place where you type it saus: Enter a Username or whatever

If you enter a name that is allready registered(ie someone else has that name) then it will ask for a password and then starts counting down, you type in /nick newusername

If you are used to irc its pretty straight forwardif not all yuo have to remeber is /nick newusename and do taht tell you get a name that is unregistered :p

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One side point:
As much as I personally greatly appreciate the effort and initative folks have shown to expand and enhance things, until we (MT Staff) feel they are 'ready for prime time', we can not endorse them.

Additionally, we ask that any MT logos, trademarks or symbolism be removed until such time as they are officially sanctioned. (Banners and links pointing back to here are always ok. Just not anything that suggests or states that an off-site site is somehow 'official')

Thank you.
Bob

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey kaith
my yahoo email is dead also......so i just ended up using the email from my isp...but the good thing is...even if your yahoo email is dead just use your yahoo username and password and you can log in.
i.e. my username is blackcatbonz as it is here and then the password.
hope this helps

shawn

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok.
I did a quick check, I'll swing back later when I have a bit more time.

1+ The interface was pretty clear.
1- You have to OK Yahoo installing stuff into your browser. Also, a minor issue is that it didn't seem to work using Netscape 4.7. (Minor due to the age of that browser, but we do have a few regulars who use it.)

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ive got it set up so i have to approve anyone that joins.........i would also like to see it get to the point where a few other people have the option of being a moderator.
this is the way to keep out the pushers.

shawn

Latest Discussions