live chat

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hi everybody

just wanted an opinion.
who would be interested in doing a live chat.....say once a month or something?
it would give us an opportunity to actually "talk" to each other in real time.
not just to verbally spar with each other, but to trade stories, anecdotes, training techniques......whatever.
i think there are a lot of people out there with something to offer everyone, and this would be a great way to develop new friendships in the martial arts community.....let me know what you think.
prof joe, john bishop, GAB, kell.

shawn bailey

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where?

We used to have a chatroom, but it wasn't used much, and, well, the software was buggy.

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well.....not to take away from your site or anything.........cos i think its fabulous.
but something like a yahoo site or an msn group or something. their chat applets work great, and are reliable......i also think it would be a fun way to really get to know each other....tell me what you think kaith, maybe we could set it up together.....and it could be an msn group as an extension of martial talk?

shawn

K

Kenpomachine

Well, in my experience, and unless you have a good antispam program, that's not a good idea (the msn group). I found it the hard way, and my passport account has been receiving spam ever since.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Where?

We used to have a chatroom, but it wasn't used much, and, well, the software was buggy.

I remeber the chatroom days, we had some good conversations, but there was a lot of dead time on that feature.

A

AnimEdge

Go IRC :p webmaster.com has a very nice IRC applet that lets non mIRC or any other IRC client access IRC based chatrooms

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I remeber the chatroom days, we had some good conversations, but there was a lot of dead time on that feature.
hey rob
thats why i suggested making it a once or twice a month thing......that way you can have a group of people geared up to discuss a particular topic and possibly have a full room, without sitting around waiting to see if someone is going to show up

shawn

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to look at the 3rd party options.

IRC isn't an option as it's against our hosting TOS. Too much abuse...plus I've already dug 3 IRC eggdrops out of the old server over the past 3 years....

M

Mark Weiser

Kaith may I suggest looking at Paltalk and sponsoring a Commerical Room. You can limit the people coming into the room with a code. You can lock the room from anyone else coming in. You can limit the amount or number of people coming into the Room.

http://www.paltalk.com

I have used it before and it is a great software package.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The old chat software was pretty good, and there were times when there were lots of members on, but you need staff to monitor chat room,, and that takes time and effort. Once the chat rooms here at MT were monitored they seemed to work very well, but they were sporatic, and that add a lot more work to the site.

A

AnimEdge

if you use webmaster.coms stuff they host the room on there server and you can access it via irc.webmaster.com using a irc client or there java client

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paltalk - Interesting software, unfortunately I'm not certain we can afford the $60+/mo cost for premium services. If I misread it, please let me know. :)

webmaster.com - I'll look at it shortly :)

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well....i was kinda hoping it would be a lil more simple than this.....i didnt want to turn it into a big technical broo-ha-ha......a simple msn group chatroom.....10 or 20 people...bingo! you have yourself a chat.

shawn

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another question on both services:
Can it be accessed via web, or must the members install more software first?

Our old chatroom was a php/mysql one. I've seen some ok java ones too. Nothing to install, just fill in the form, hit submit and you're chatting.

As to the MSN option, if that requires MS Passport, I won't be there. Too many security and privacy issues for my taste. More info though, definately appreciated. :)

M

Mark Weiser

The PalTalk Software is free and and members download it for free. You can even have the business supporters cover the cost Kaith. You can start out as a free Room and have Admins assigned to watch the room from all the bad guys.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it all boils down to, is there enough people at MT that will use the Chatroom. I know MartialTalk had one in the past, and it died down like most sites chatrooms. Since MT doesn't have age restrictions you would need moderators to protect the young.

Or maybe a chatroom would be a good premium feature for a few months down the road.

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i just figured if we could get something going in a chatroom as a once or twice a month thing, then it could be an arranged activity with particular topics.....and if it were done on an msn or yahoo group the room could have moderators and it could also be by invitation only.

shawn

Latest Discussions