Limits on sharing information

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
There's something to be said for anonymity on the Internet. If Don implements a policy requiring validation of Bujinkan membership to gain access to his materials, I will share my personal information.

And really, it is not important that the entire world know who you are- just that I know who you are. And even without knowing some names, I feel I know the type of person some of you are. So far, not a dishonarable person or egomaniacal empire builder in the people who have responded so far based on your posting histories.

Henso

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am of the opinion that there is more than enough information for the frauds, if they have the industry to do so, to concoct whatever they desire. I put it to you, however, that most will not be willing to invest the time required to be convincing, if currently secret information is more widely available.

Think for instance of the information put out by Quest, vis-a-vis the details of the various Bujinkan Ryuha. Once in becomes known to those who are interested that a certain waza, kamae, etc, is specific to a particular ryu, it becomes more difficult for charltans to duplicate them, claiming that they originated from some other unrelated ryu.

If you have something interesting to say, please say it, Hatsumi Sensei certain does, and even as all the inconsequential frauds fade into irrelevance, Hatsumi Sensei's mystique endures.

P.S. I just returned from the Daikomyosai, and I can only describe his abilities a being simply sublime!

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henso said:
P.S. I just returned from the Daikomyosai, and I can only describe his abilities a being simply sublime!

So did I. I'd say you have a gift for understatement. . .

Henso

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And you for masking surprise, Dale. I was present at the Hombu when you were promoted last week-congratulations to you.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henso said:
And you for masking surprise, Dale. I was present at the Hombu when you were promoted last week-congratulations to you.

Hee! Thanks, I don't know how well "masked" it was, but I felt poleaxed. When Soke called for me I'd just finished squirming through the crowd to get a bottle of tea from my pack, and I thought "Crap, we're starting again and he wants me to show something." Then I finally get back to the other end of the dojo and he's waiting with the menkyo.

To give you an idea of my mental state, at Saizeriya afterward I had to ask someone at what point during Soke's class this had occurred, because I couldn't remember. . .

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
Hee! Thanks, I don't know how well "masked" it was, but I felt poleaxed. When Soke called for me I'd just finished squirming through the crowd to get a bottle of tea from my pack, and I thought "Crap, we're starting again and he wants me to show something." Then I finally get back to the other end of the dojo and he's waiting with the menkyo.

To give you an idea of my mental state, at Saizeriya afterward I had to ask someone at what point during Soke's class this had occurred, because I couldn't remember. . .

Congrats Dale!!:asian:

Mike

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been giving serious thought about writing something since I last posted in this thread. I even have notes, outlines, etc.

But I am thinking of putting together something on my own rather than go to a publisher. The big problem with doing so is binding the finished product. Can anyone help me, either here or by PM?

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been giving serious thought about writing something since I last posted in this thread. I even have notes, outlines, etc.

But I am thinking of putting together something on my own rather than go to a publisher. The big problem with doing so is binding the finished product. Can anyone help me, either here or by PM?

I would be happy to help you, Don. Just let me know.

-ben

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Don,

One of the aspects that I have gone with my company Instinctive Response Training LLC is to create my own DVD/publishing company. I bound my book Advanced Wrist Strike Technique in a beautiful hardbound cover. If you need any help just email or call and I will be happy to share some secrets.

I'm sure Ben is also a wealth of information here as well.
icon14.gif

By the way I think it would be great if you wrote a book!
icon14.gif

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have gotten a few PMs. It looks expensive to bind things. I do not want to make this an expensive project. One of my goals is to put this thing out for less than it would cost to photocopy. That way people would be less willing to make copies and instead send other to me and give me a say in who gets this stuff and who does not.

Thanks for those that have helped.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
How big are you talking in regards to number of pages? Have you considered either spiral or plastic combs. I personally like that style better because they lay flat when you are reading them and should be far less expensive than conventional bindings. I have a few books like this and as long as the cover art is well done and the paper stock is heavy enough it comes out looking just as professional as the other types of book binding.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you considered either spiral or plastic combs. I personally like that style better because they lay flat when you are reading them and should be far less expensive than conventional bindings.

That is what I was hoping for. Someone once gave me a manual of their dojo when they were in Japan and it was bound that way. It looks cheap, and good enough for what I am thinking of putting out. But I don't think any of the advice that has been sent me regards that type of binding.

And I can't even think of what terms to use in a yahoo/google search.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, you can (with some practice) bind them yourself. Binding machines cost about $350.00 here in the States, Sacramento, CA, in particular, for a decent one. Below this price the equipment is only for occasional and less-professional work. Next, buy a high capacity Laser printer that has (relatively) inexpensive toner cartridges and at least 600x1200 or 1200x1200 d.p.i., print the cover front with a high quality color inkjet (about $200-$250) and add an insert page done with the color inkjet to have illustrations (both sides, if possible for the colour plates - saves cost of the paper). Also, by including some colour work, you will make these alone worth the price of admission.

My former portrait art teacher binds his own books for about, IIRC, $1.50 to $2.50 a piece and sells them for $29.50. He makes more publishing himself (and selling copies at his workshops) than he did when these books were carried by a national publishing company and sold in bookstores and through art book clubs throughout the U.S.

http://www.officezone.com/bind2.htm

http://www.factory-express.com/Binding_Machines/binding_machines.html

http://www.factory-express.com/Bind...s/GBC-C250/gbc-combbind-c250.html?source=C300

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much those machines weigh? I will be in America later this year. If one of the models were less than my check in luggage allowance, I could get one sent to someone and bring it back with me.

Some of them look like I could put together a 200 page (double sided?) book. If I could get out a book that size and break even at about 25 dollars a book, that would be ideal. I have a scanner/printer/copier all ready to set up. My wife is an illustrator and I have never been at a loss for things to write down.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know which machine you are looking at, but on the web sites that are business' I add one to my cart then figure shipping costs. Usually it gives you what the weight of the package is when it gives you the shipping costs. If I remember right the manual punches are between 20 and 30 Lbs, but as the saying goes, "your milage may vary."

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much those machines weigh? I will be in America later this year. If one of the models were less than my check in luggage allowance, I could get one sent to someone and bring it back with me.

Some of them look like I could put together a 200 page (double sided?) book. If I could get out a book that size and break even at about 25 dollars a book, that would be ideal. I have a scanner/printer/copier all ready to set up. My wife is an illustrator and I have never been at a loss for things to write down.

Don the real price for binding lies in the ink spent. Really when I bound my last book the hardcover books and the machine were pretty cheap in comparison to the laser print ink. Having said that you can definatley make more and have more control doing it yourself than going to an editor. (as you are the editor, publisher, printer, etc)

A good friend of mine Dan Anderson also binds his books and is thrilled doing it this way rather than going through a publisher which he did in the past.

I hope that you do publish something as the Bujinkan needs more people publishing, particularly in the historical area.

Latest Discussions