Life is Fleeting

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea i was just wondering how common knowledge this was back then? Even today the experts now cant seem to figure out of you should wear a mask or not. We have been back and forth on that issue even in the current panademic
The experts have been consistent that you should wear a mask throughout all of this. The debates just been on how helpful they are, not if they're helpful. It's just fringe scientists and certain politicians convincing people otherwise.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I've seen, they did. Back then it was considered common sense. They wore masks, encouraged social distancing, etc.

Here's a pretty thorough article: “Destroyer and Teacher”: Managing the Masses During the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic
thats intresting, but seems to sugest that the virus arive in the states from else where, when in fact it started in america and was transfered to europe and then else where on troop carriers, knownibfly i must add,

getting most of the infected people out of the country, it was running rife in army basis, seemed a good idea, when it retirned on the same troop carriers, it had mutated givibg the more deadly second wave, unfortunately, that also killed a big chunk of the rest of the world

thanks usa

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thats intresting, but seems to sugest that the virus arive in the states from else where, when in fact it started in america and was transfered to europe and then else where on troop carriers, knownibfly i must add,

getting most of the infected people out of the country, it was running rife in army basis, seemed a good idea, when it retirned on the same troop carriers, it had mutated givibg the more deadly second wave, unfortunately, that also killed a big chunk of the rest of the world

thanks usa

You're welcome, Jobo. It's the least we could do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

thanks usa
Wow you have known this all along? Why haven't you passed on you infinite knowledge to find a vaccine and end this damned thing? I have no clue where you get your (mis)information but that is very, very far from what I have read and seen. Have you never heard of Wuhan?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow you have known this all along? Why haven't you passed on you infinite knowledge to find a vaccine and end this damned thing? I have no clue where you get your (mis)information but that is very, very far from what I have read and seen. Have you never heard of Wuhan?
tey reading the thread instead of just jumping, in, the virus in question we are in the middle of discussing, is the spanish flu, or rather the american flu, as it should be known

the Corona almost certainly came from wuhan

its intresting that sone aspects of america are holding china s responsible for its lax responce,a criticism that has some validity, mean while we are still awaiting an admision let alone an apology for one of the greatest crimes against humanity ever perpetrated, that was america delibrately exporting the virus that killed upwarss of 50 million

admittedly they didnt know that was going to happen, but they did know thousands of their own troops were dieing on the journey to europe, and cared little about that, remmber that next vet day, that they killed more of their own troops than the germans

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

thanks usa
It's been a while since I received my wikipedia degree in spanish flu. I was just sharing an article from the NIH that talked about what steps were taken at the time, in response to a question about how much they knew about social distancing, wearing masks, etc.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
tey reading the thread instead of just jumping, in, the virus in question we are in the middle of discussing, is the spanish flu, or rather the american flu, as it should be known

the Corona almost certainly came from wuhan

its intresting that sone aspects of america are holding china s responsible for its lax responce,a criticism that has some validity, mean while we are still awaiting an admision let alone an apology for one of the greatest crimes against humanity ever perpetrated, that was america delibrately exporting the virus that killed upwarss of 50 million

admittedly they didnt know that was going to happen, but they did know thousands of their own troops were dieing on the journey to europe, and cared little about that, remmber that next vet day, that they killed more of their own troops than the germans
Fair enough.
Again, why didn't you use your mystic powers to inform the powers that be how significant this was going to be so early on? You are throwing stones but hitting nothing.
Big bad America. It is always our fault, no matter what. Funny.
Oh, and you seriously need to check your numbers about the troops. Off by about a factor of 120.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough.
Again, why didn't you use your mystic powers to inform the powers that be how significant this was going to be so early on? You are throwing stones but hitting nothing.
Big bad America. It is always our fault, no matter what. Funny.
Oh, and you seriously need to check your numbers about the troops. Off by about a factor of 120.
they lost 63000 to disease and 53000 to combat, the problem with that figure is they are not counting all the ones who dieded of flu in america or on the way there

and dont get me wrong, the uk murdered hundreds of thousands of their own troops by walking them into machine gun batteries, then the american arrive and killed a few more with the fle, bad war that one

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they lost 63000 to disease and 53000 to combat, the problem with that figure is they are not counting all the ones who dieded of flu in america or on the way there

and dont get me wrong, the uk murdered hundreds of thousands of their own troops by walking them into machine gun batteries, then the american arrive and killed a few more with the fle, bad war that one
Are you back on the Spanish Flu era or Covid in regard to your number?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you back on the Spanish Flu era or Covid in regard to your number?
the american flu from circa 1917.

ive not talked about covid at all in this thread except now having to tell you twice im not talking about covid in this thread

I really hope i dont have to say it three times or il begin to suspect your being deliberately obtuse

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the american flu from circa 1917.

ive not talked about covid at all in this thread except now having to tell you twice im not talking about covid in this thread

I really hope i dont have to say it three times or il begin to suspect your being deliberately obtuse
Anything is possible. The American flu?
My fact checking says 45,849 soldiers died of influenza and related pneumonia during the course of the war. You are still off on your numbers.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anything is possible. The American flu?
My fact checking says 45,849 soldiers died of influenza and related pneumonia during the course of the war. You are still off on your numbers.
oh well you said i was off by a factor of 120,, so at least your now in the ball park

lets for the moment consider that , that may be correct and not massaged by the army to make them look less bad

thats still 45,000 american troops killed by a combination of neglect and deliberate sacrifice

i suppose that less bad than 63,000 but not by a factor of 120

63,000 were killed by disease and not munitions, its only arguable which disease that was and we still have the other 50 million including half a million US civilians t who deaths we attributable to this

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh well you said i was off by a factor of 120,, so at least your now in the ball park

lets for the moment consider that , that may be correct and not massaged by the army to make them look less bad

thats still 45,000 american troops killed by a combination of neglect and deliberate sacrifice

i suppose that less bad than 63,000 but not by a factor of 120

63,000 were killed by disease and not munitions, its only arguable which disease that was and we still have the other 50 million including half a million US civilians t who deaths we attributable to this
Yes, the factor of 120 was in regards to the wrong pandemic.
Still illogical to say it could have been avoided when for the most part no one knew what was happening at the time. Oh and the enemy was shooting at them so I am sure the priorities were rather obvious.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, the factor of 120 was in regards to the wrong pandemic.
Still illogical to say it could have been avoided when for the most part no one knew what was happening at the time. Oh and the enemy was shooting at them so I am sure the priorities were rather obvious.
your missing the point, they, the troops were dropping like flies in the bases in america and on the troop ships over, they, (the army and the government)knew it was happening, they knew it was highly contagious and they knew it was deadly, if they knew precisely what is was is open for debate, but they sure as hell knew it was happening and shipped them to Europe anyway

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your missing the point, they, the troops were dropping like flies in the bases in america and on the troop ships over, they, (the army and the government)knew it was happening, they knew it was highly contagious and they knew it was deadly, if they knew precisely what is was is open for debate, but they sure as hell knew it was happening and shipped them to Europe anyway
You do realize you are criticizing something that occurred nearly 100 years ago? Why would you think they really knew what was going on with technology of that era? And again, they were being shot at.
Go ahead and bash from the fences; it is what you do best.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do realize you are criticizing something that occurred nearly 100 years ago? Why would you think they really knew what was going on with technology of that era? And again, they were being shot at.
Go ahead and bash from the fences; it is what you do best.
because they had the most advanced medical facilities in the world and the Spanish managed to figure it out.

because they had numerous people dropping dead on army camps in america where nobody was shooting at them of the flu, even you might think that odd.

they filled a train with troops and when it got there there were nearly all dead and no one was shooting at them, because civilians round army camps were also dieing and guess what , no one was shooting at them

the world is currently engaging in thinking about crimes against humanity perpetrated by american just though id throw this one in

Latest Discussions