Life is Fleeting

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I found this picture in an old photo album of my now deceased grandmother. She may be a distant relative of mine, like a great great aunt or something. It appears to be a picture of a girl in high school, probably a senior, from 1929. If she were alive today she'd be about 110.

In this picture she was so full of life. And her life was just beginning. She had her whole life in front of her. I'm sure if you had asked her she would have said she had plenty of time to live, the time of her death was so far of.

That girl is now dead and has been for quite some time.

This picture just struck me. It made me realize how fleeting life is, how quickly it goes by, how easily it passes from our grasp and how powerless we are to stop its flow to its ultimate conclusion.

This is all our fates. It's the one thing we all share in equally. We will all pass from this ground we inhabit so freely today. Our lives are only borrowed. A perpetual debt we owe the universe in which we've been borne.

"Death is the debt that all people pay"

Attachments

• lifeis fleeting.jpg
    lifeis fleeting.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 160

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MarkTwain.jpg

Live that life with passion, brother. It's a great ride, this life thing.

LarryFayPhoto.jpg

There's beauty everywhere.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So your birthday, and when you hear about the birds and the bees?

I think the when you find out why part refers to when you find your "meaning or purpose in life". I personally dont think we have any set "meaning or purpose in life". Its whatever we choose. No greater designed plan for some all knowing being. But thats just my humble opinion!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the when you find out why part refers to when you find your "meaning or purpose in life". I personally dont think we have any set "meaning or purpose in life". Its whatever we choose. No greater designed plan for some all knowing being. But thats just my humble opinion!

I believe you're correct, Chris. We are who determine what our purpose in life is.

Mine was and is to help people.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no i think it refers to sex

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found this picture in an old photo album of my now deceased grandmother. She may be a distant relative of mine, like a great great aunt or something. It appears to be a picture of a girl in high school, probably a senior, from 1929. If she were alive today she'd be about 110.

In this picture she was so full of life. And her life was just beginning. She had her whole life in front of her. I'm sure if you had asked her she would have said she had plenty of time to live, the time of her death was so far of.

This picture just struck me. It made me realize how fleeting life is, how quickly it goes by, how easily it passes from our grasp and how powerless we are to stop its flow to its ultimate conclusion.

This is all our fates. It's the one thing we all share in equally. We will all pass from this ground we inhabit so freely today. Our lives are only borrowed. A perpetual debt we owe the universe in which we've been borne.

Exactly

James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." (KJV)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My Dad, 1918, during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

Dad,SpanishFlu.jpg

He told me if I lived long enough, I'd probably see something like it again. He said if you're smart and careful, you'll survive. If you're not, you probably won't. So, be smart.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been working with my mom for several years to scan family photos and piece together our genealogy. It's really interesting, and I often look at the pictures. The picture below, in particular, hits me in the way you describe. That's my Aunt Peggy. When I was really young (like 5), I thought she was the prettiest woman in the world, and was convinced she was Wonder Woman. The picture below was how I remember her, taken in the early 70's. She died just a few years later from lung cancer.

Peggy .jpg

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Dad, 1918, during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

View attachment 22955

He told me if I lived long enough, I'd probably see something like it again. He said if you're smart and careful, you'll survive. If you're not, you probably won't. So, be smart.

So how would being "smart" have saved you in the 1918 flu pandemic? I guess if smart meant wash your hands, wear a mask and social distance the yes being smart would help. But did the they have that scientific knowledge of the virus in 1918?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Read this and had to pop in and add....came across my fathers high school year book in the basement, lost it a bit actually looking at the pictures. He passed away in 2012...yup, life is fleeting

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So how would being "smart" have saved you in the 1918 flu pandemic? I guess if smart meant wash your hands, wear a mask and social distance the yes being smart would help. But did the they have that scientific knowledge of the virus in 1918?

well yes, they knew it was a virus and it was killing a lot of people, the major issue was they ignored it for a very long time, they wernt at all opposed to shipping people off to the great war who had the virus as they were probably going to die anyway,

they only got concerned when people came back from the war and started passing it to others including them.

suddenly at least in certain US cities, they shut down all the bars and other public places of transmission and had a response not unlike what we have today with masks and social distancing, it may or may not have had a positive effect

thers some good documentaries available

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From what I've seen, they did. Back then it was considered common sense. They wore masks, encouraged social distancing, etc.

Here's a pretty thorough article: “Destroyer and Teacher”: Managing the Masses During the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen, they did. Back then it was considered common sense. They wore masks, encouraged social distancing, etc.

Here's a pretty thorough article: “Destroyer and Teacher”: Managing the Masses During the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic

Yea i was just wondering how common knowledge this was back then? Even today the experts now cant seem to figure out of you should wear a mask or not. We have been back and forth on that issue even in the current panademic

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

when you read the description of the pandemic,
face covering and social distancing was practiced
Until it wasn't, and the 2nd wave killed 5 million people....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
when you read the description of the pandemic,
face covering and social distancing was practiced
Until it wasn't, and the 2nd wave killed 5 million people....

A different term was used back then. Common sense.